Mainetainer showing ?'s

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortybreeder

I tried searching Mainetainer up above but the most recent thread is 2 years old, and I know a lot can change in two years' time with show rules and registration rules... So here's my question: If I have a ShorthornPlus cow (0% known Maine) and I cross her to FSF Hard Line (1/2 Maine, 1/2 Shorthorn) can the resulting calf be registered as a Mainetainer? And more importantly, can this calf be shown as a mainetainer? Are there any Mainetainer shows up in the MN/WI/IA area anymore? I looked at the MN Beef Expo results and all I could find was Maine Anjou show results. Do most shows allow you to sign a calf up in the Mainetainer class and the ShorthornPlus class, or do you have to pick 1 or the other for each show you register for?
Thanks in advance!

Annoth

If I'm thinking right, this whould make the calf 1/3 maine? The range of % that one can be registered mainetainer is 25% min to something large like 75%. You can show as one but as a heifer, of course you'll need the reg # but as a steer, it may not be worth. Might look too much like a shorthorn with that much influence.

I'd imagine you'd have to pick one or the other but you're better off talking to each show about their rules.

Spencer10218

I actually had a steer from farrer (owner of hard line) and he was out of hardline with the dam being a purebred shorty, he was a registered maintainer
Hope this helps

wjmcattle

It would be a 1/4 Maine and eligible to show maintainer. I know in Illinois you could show her plus and maintainer.

shortybreeder

Thanks for the responses so far! and yes, it would be 1/4, not 1/3 Maine. Shouldn't matter if it shows too much shorthorn, the goal is to have a nice breeding/market animal and to be able to find the best competition to see how good the calf really is.

Auburnviewfarms

Is the cow registered plus if so what percentage? That would also be a factor in her being able to show on the plus side of things.

Cham2135

You only need to be a 1/4 maine to be a maintainer. Ours last year was a Monopoly x 1/2 maine cow

good luck!

shortybreeder

Well, so far, this is strictly theoretical. I have an embryo that is a full sibling to the dam of the 2015 NWSS Grand Champion ShorthornPlus bull, and he was sired by FSF Hardline who is a 1/2 Maine and a 1/2 Shorthorn. The dam of the embryo is 1/2 black angus, 1/2 shorthorn, and the sire is a purebred shorthorn. If the calf comes out black or blue roan then it will be registered as 50%, if it comes out as red or red roan then it will be 75%. Therefore, the calf in question (potential Mainetainer) would likely be registered as 1/2 shorthorn, and 1/4 Maine.