Maintaineer Heifer Breeding Options

Help Support Steer Planet:

CMAHerefords

We are new to the Maine world. We have a Bojo heifer that we are going to be breeding this spring and was wondering on some input about sire choices

Jesse James  vs  I-67

We have been going back and forth on these 2 bulls for a while. Depends what picture of the bull (I-67) we look at. I have never seen either bull in person so it is difficult. A local large scale club calf producer by us has had great luck with Jesse James and now that he is dead will his progeny hold greater value?

She massive, sound and has plenty of power, good haired and stout. She looks a bit terminal looking so We would like to lengthen her neck out but it by no means is bad.

We would like to produce steers that are marketable in the midwest and heifers that will be progressive to be retained. Main goal is to get a nice, little live calf. Paperable maine would be nice but is not a major deciding factor at this point.

Just wondering what sire people would chose; or if there is a calving ease sire we are missing the boat on.

Thanks.

GoWyo

Are there any Daddy's Money calves hitting the ground?  Might be an option.

sizzler14

Bojo is an Ali which is a bull I like and think he has done a lot of good. Problem is every now and then he can breed them real straight. I have seen certain pictures of i-67 that make me think he is a notch straight himself. I have. Seen Jesse James and have seen plenty of calves with shape and curvature to them. I think he would be a better choice. Just my opinion. I do like the suggestion of total solution if she is a ground sow. I'm not the only one who swears by his females either

CRS

Jose would be a good option.  Nowatzke is breeding a lot to him and just sold a really nice heifer out of him in an online sale.  If you go to Executive's website, they have mature pictures of the bull.  Not sure if The Beast is a calving ease sire or not, but a good choice for body dept, thickness and overall soundness, he extends pretty good out of his front too and he is a 50% I think.  Gucci is also a good choice and he is a PB.

b_kackley

Jessie James calves I have seen look pretty good and came small. Witchdoctor may be an option. I know he is old but there have been alot of good ones out of him.

diamonddls

There have been some good Witch Doctor over over the years. Upcoming CE bulls that I'm going to be using this spring are Daddy's Money and Jose.

savaged

Well I'll say it again - Mercedes Benz.  Sure safe with calf size, and way, way, better off if she has a heifer over James or I67 IMO.