man driving tractor gets DUI

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dusty

It's actually more common than you would think.  I know a couple people who have got DUI's on tractors.

justintime

A man in my hometown made the National News when he got his second DUI offense for driving a motorized wheel chair after drinking. He drove past the Police station and gave the one finger salute as he went by. A policeman saw him, and went out of the station, stopped him and gave him the breathilizer. The result was this morons second DUI. He is about 40 years old and quite able to walk, but drives around town in a motorized wheel chair.

BIGTEX

Someone got a DUI driving a Golf Cart the other day. This is not that rare. I get to hear about them since I am in the golf industry. Can you imagine what that looks like with a cop car pulling over a golf cart.

nck21

Just last weekend in a town of about 300 people, I saw a guy get a DUI on a 4 wheeler. That was a first for me.

aj

George got one on a lawnmower one time. He was like 7 miles from home heading for a bar. Tammi had taken keys out of all the vehicles. ;D

oakview

We had a gentleman in our area pass out from excessive drinking while he was driving his 4 wheel drive tractor home from field work with a disc attached.  He made a right hand turn through the ditch, drove about 100 yards out into a field, made a U-turn, jumped the road and plowed into the ditch on the opposite side where the tractor came to rest.  He was thrown about inside the cab leaving a bloody mess, but had no 'serious' injuries.  The tractor was totalled, but the bottle was unbroken.  In another incident, he was found wandering on a gravel road looking for home after falling off his tractor.  He has received professional treatment since that time and we all hope and pray for the best.  These types of stories are too often reported in the news with a giggle and a snicker, but are no laughing matter and far too common. 

aj

Oakview...I'm not trying to be a smartass on this one but....how about a law that prevents anyone under 21 to use a cell phone-text message thingy bob while in  a vehicle. Alcoholism is a terrible thing but I am hearing that cell phones are causing more deaths than the alcohol deal in vehicles. I have seen people get into a vehicle and the first thing they do is dial someone on the phone. It seems like 25% of the people you meet on the road are on the phone to me. Just food for thought.

BIGTEX

I think California has a no cell phone while driving law. A couple of cities have no phones in school zones in the Dallas area.

oakview

I would be very much in favor of some sort of cell phone law, but I would not limit it to those under 21.  I do a lot of driving on business and see so many people talking on their cell phone and totally oblivious to what's going on around them.  It is easy to tell from their actions they are not calling in an emergency situation.  Some drivers can handle more than one thing at a time, some can't, but all THINK they can.  I would like to see a law that required drivers to be stopped when talking or texting, but I don't think that will ever happen.  Of course emergency situations are different.

inthebarnagain

I have followed people putting on makeup, reading books, etc.  A friend of mine got rear ended by a guy in an SUV.  He saw him before he hit him.  When they got out of the vehicle after the wreck, suddenly a girl got out that was in the car that hit him.  Gee, wonder why he was distracted?

oakview

When it comes right down to it, there's no law that could be written to prevent stupidity and irresponsible behavior.  Maybe that's good.  I would imagine all of us have done something somewhere along the line that wasn't too bright!  Instead of discussing the best bull, best steakhouse, etc., we should have a contest to see who has done the dumbest thing.  Just kidding.

HSV

Maybe we need a cellphone operator designation on our drivers licenses just like the airbrake designation we have in Canada....then if you can prove that you can use one safely, you get the right to use it!!