Manchild Heifer : Opinions please

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dusty

I saw a some good Hired Man's this fall and from what I saw the linebacker shoulders shouldn't be as big of an issue as everyone thought early on.  Not saying he won't ever throw it, but I don't think he will necessarily stamp them that way of you know what I mean.  If I had to choose I would use Hired Man over Manchild.  Manchild has thrown some good ones, but I think Hired Man is going to be more consistant.  For being 3/4 brothers they are really different bulls.  I've seen some Manchild's that were just plain bad....

Throttle

My 2 cents worth. I like that heifer pictured a lot in her front end, body, color, and hair. Looks like a genuine, soft, big centered one, even though she certainly looks pretty steep in her pastern. As far as the Manchild bull goes, I think he's breeding very similar to Hannibal, with added color and hair, maybe just a touch added clubby muscle shape down in the quarter more consistently. With those attributes, I think you get a little more structural issues than with his sire. Not that they are all just a bunch of cripples, but I think you get that one that is just a little too straight more with Manchild than Hannibal. Drawback of both is that they can get pretty big framed and not massive enough for today's clubby market as well. On the right cows he can work big time. I know nothing about Hired Man other than nice pedigree, not nice in person in the front end. Just my thoughts

CAB

I would agree with Throttle in his statement about Hannibal and Manchild throwing similar style and therefore really think that Hannibal maybe a better choice if the cow is deep enough and stout enough to carry on through. I really think that all the 3/4 brothers are more than likely diluted too much to really be bulls that are going to be able to breed on any traits with consistency, but from what I have seen, if I were to want to use one of them, it would be HM. Brent

Cattle Fan

My experiences with Manchild are they get big.  As stated in an earlier post I think he breeds much like Hannibal and they need to be bred to smaller framed cows.  The calves are hairy and they have been good fronted but one other problem we have seen is they don't at least for us have enough bone.  I know there have been a few good steers out there but I don't think that they are  going to be real heavy muscled and the heifers are probably going to be better much like we have experienced with Hannibal.  I have seen some good calves out of hired man but I am not sure if I am sold yet, I think I if I am going to use those genetics I will just stay with Hannibal for now.

Latest posts