Market Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

DiamondMCattle

Yesterday I went to a smaller jackpot show and the heifer that won the breeding show was also shown as a market heifer and won that. I was just wondering everyone's thoughts on this.

iowabeef

I believe in Iowa, the IJBBA doesn't allow animals to be shown in more than one class regardless of papers.  You have to pick.
But this also brings up a good point in terms of what some judges pick for Breeding winners.  So often they are these fat massive heifers that look ready for slaughter verses breeding.

breyfarm

Personally think its bull shi*t, Either there was no competition or the judge was being biased toward the showmen or hes a terrible judge. Its okay for a breeding heifer to have some condition but for cryin out loud not enough to win a market show IMO (thumbsup)

HF CHARS

First off I am gonna say this should happen.  If they use the right type.  Sound big muddled females should be winning both shows,  being a jackpot this time of year I am guessing they are judging them as prospects ,  my opinion but its not the huge hopped freak steers that are winning,  it the soft made functional ones.  If the judge used a soft made,sound heifer,,,I applaud him

HF CHARS

HF CHARS said:
First off I am gonna say this should happen.  If they use the right type.  Sound big muddled females should be winning both shows,  being a jackpot this time of year I am guessing they are judging them as prospects ,  my opinion but its not the huge hopped freak steers that are winning,  it the soft made functional ones.  If the judge used a soft made,sound heifer,,,I applaud him
sorry for the bad spelling ,,my phone has its own idea of what I type

iowabeef

There is and should be a  distinct difference between Market & Breeding Heifers otherwise there is no need for the market class. True  Market Heifers have a steer look in muscling and design, less feminine apearance.....not just a big middle

HF CHARS

I knew I would catch greif for my statement  but I still  believe a really good female that is stout and sound,should be able to show both ways as a prospect I agree market heifers need to be stout  but the shouldn't look like steers ,they are still females 

fed_champions

A professor i once had used this statement quite often, and as far as ive seen its pretty true. "The most masculine males will produce the most feminine femeales, and the most feminine females, will produce the most masculine males." Now with this said, breeding heifers can be heavy muscled, but its a longer more feminine muscle pattern, the short round muscled females, like most steers, tend to be short hipped, a bit shorter striding and will sometimes have a small vulva causing natural calving problems. As for the fat, a lot of show heifers are shown very fat, and unless they are trimmed down, this can cause calving problems as well. Sure everyone wants to go out and raise a 50,000 dollar steer. But, do the females who look like steers last the 6 years of low maintenance that it takes for the average cow to pay themselves off?

vc

I was of the impression that market heifers were just that, heifers out of terminal bulls, freemartins or just to masculine to make a cow. I have also heard the same about masculine bulls and feminine cows.
I know I was not attracted to girls that looked like a linebacker when I was dating, but maybe that was just me.

PDJ

vc said:
I know I did not attracted to girls that looked like a linebacker when I was dating, but maybe that was just me.
  (lol) But at some point just gate sorting them seemed like a good idea!

PDJ

Zach said:
PDJ said:
vc said:
I know I did not attracted to girls that looked like a linebacker when I was dating, but maybe that was just me.
  (lol) But at some point just gate sorting them seemed like a good idea!

Having standards is a beautiful thing
As I've gotten older yes, but I've much like stock cows, the prettiest aren't always the best!

cattleman70

Did the small jackpot show happen to be the Golden Gate Classic in Great Bend? Haha this happen there the heifer was champion commercial (we were reserve) and then went on to take grand heifer. I guess they family is in love with money because they tried to win the market show to. I think the judge though was smart enough not to do that.