marketing calves out of our home-raised bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Okay, I have a situation...it's kind of good, but kind of difficult.  We have an outstanding set of calves out of our herd sire (Waukaru Goldmine x Waukaru Magic Minnie).  We raised the bull and we're really proud of him.  The problem is, when people call and ask about our calves, they seem to shy away from his calves.  They're better than our Kool calves and just almost as good as our Perfect Timing calves.  I'm super pleased with how our bull makes the calves - square, sound, SUPER heavy muscled, and really pretty front ends.  I guess I need some help marketing these calves.  In the bunch of em, there are some calves that would be good show heifers, some awesome cow prospects, a really good steer and even a couple good bull prospects.  Can someone give me some Pointers??

thanks

Justin

Show Heifer

A good photo will sell a calf, a bad photo will kill it. Advertise them in a show mag with a photo, and your phone number...nothing else...no pedigree, no owner name. Trust me, if they are good, they will sell!!
By the way, when you get those photos, please email me, as I alway help a few kids find calves, but won't go to a trader, prefer dealing with the breeder!! So let me know ASAP  on photos, price and location!!

shortdawg

I don't know what state you are in but Jeff Aegerter could probably help you move them. His website is on www.shorthorn.org under the breeder links. He is in Nebraska.

shortyjock89

shortdawg said:
I don't know what state you are in but Jeff Aegerter could probably help you move them. His website is on www.shorthorn.org under the breeder links. He is in Nebraska.

That's true.  Jeff does alot with the Shorthorn sales I go to.  I live in east central IL.  I could probably put the calves either on Denny Jordan's or Dick Hahn's sale, but it might be hard to get a good price for calves that are out of a bull no one knows. Thanks!

shortyjock89

SRU said:
for all practical purposes, he is a wakaru bull.  i think jordans would be a good bet.

Haha, different Jordan's.  Jordan's in Indiana are the owners of Waukaru.  The Jordan's I'm talking about owned Glamour Girl and bought Prince James from Studer's. Good idea though

bluegrass

There use to be a man in your area that would buy steers and resale them his name was Les Reel, he lived in Congerville. Its been a long time since I have seen him don't know if he's still in the game or not.

shorthorns r us

denny, barry, toby. they all end in y. i understand both families are great.  get some pics on here.

shortyjock89

bluegrass said:
There use to be a man in your area that would buy steers and resale them his name was Les Reel, he lived in Congerville. Its been a long time since I have seen him don't know if he's still in the game or not.

I've been to the Reel Livestock sale barn many times.  It is the nicest sale barn I've been to.  I know that he stil has feeder sales, but I don't know if he does the show steer thing anymore.  Congerville is about two hours from me, so it's not too far.  

Keep all the suggestions coming guys...thanks alot!!

shortyjock89

SRU said:
denny, barry, toby. they all end in y. i understand both families are great.  get some pics on here.

Yes sir, here in the next few days after everything dries up, pictures are way up on the list. 

And yes, both those families are awesome.  Very easy to deal with.  I definately would suggest attending both of those sales if you can.

red

I guess entice them w/ the Kool calves & then show them the ones out of you herd bull. That's what we've done w/ ours. Have a few AI steers at the farm but not nearly as nice as our Jake calves. Once they see the quality in the herd bull's they buy the better calf hopefully not the name.

Red

ELBEE

Waukaru is synonymous with large framed cattle! Understand I have nothing against Jordans, and I haven't seen the calves. But herd prefixes get stereotyped, we have the same problem with ELBEE being associated with "dinks". Let the calves speak for themselves the good "eyes" will pick the good cattle.

shortyjock89

ELBEE said:
Waukaru is synonymous with large framed cattle! Understand I have nothing against Jordans, and I haven't seen the calves. But herd prefixes get stereotyped, we have the same problem with ELBEE being associated with "dinks". Let the calves speak for themselves the good "eyes" will pick the good cattle.

ELBEE- you are a trove of wisdom.  We love our Waukaru cows...yes they are a little bigger, but they cross really well with some clubbier type bulls.  I forgot to mention that we used to have an awesome Gizmo daughter.  Unfortunately, she prolapsed a couple years ago and was never the same.  It was a sad day when she left the farm.  She had the best calf three years running, and two of them were out of a herd bull. 

Okay, back to the calves haha.  We have had our friends come out and I wanted to them to be really critical of the calves.  We didn't tell them what calf what out of what bull, and lo and behold, they really liked our "herd bull" calves.  I think that I won't tell anyone what the calves are out of until they ask.  I probably make so many mistakes selling calves, but this is only my third year selling my own calves for the show ring.  It's tougher than it sounds for sure!

Thanks again to all of you guys, you're a BIG help!!!

DL

What I have seen some people do in ads is show  picutres of calves and then list sires used (ie not identify the sire of the specific calf) - then the calves speak for themselves.

ELBEE I thought your prefix was associated with good (although I have had people tell me Gizmo was "short" -) but of course you are right about herd prefixes being associated with specific traits....I see DeRouchey joined the ASA - do you think he is out of the Maines and into the Shorthorns?

shortyjock89

red

are you wanting them posted or just use the link?
Not bad pictures, bulls never are very photogentic unless they're all dolled up! Looks like he'd produce some good ones.

Red

shortyjock89

well i posted the pics first, and they were huge, so i figured links would be easier...yeah that guy is a big ol puppy dog, he thought i had food when i was in the cow pen...i took the pic from the fence, no matter how calm he is, im not gonna play with him