May Be Looking For Hay

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

We are about to have to give up on the idea of there being any hay made in our region.

What parts of the country look like they are going to make enough hay to actually have some to sell.  We don't use much ourselves due to the way we stock our pastures - usually 100 round bales a year takes care of us and that's for calving out heifers in town.  However, we have close friends that use a lot and they will be looking to buy some.

We really don't care what kind of hay - we need it more for filler than protein.  We can supplement the protein.

So, how far from Texas are we going to have to go?  Feel free to PM with any names/numbers for folks that might be selling some later this summer.

Chap

unfortunately, Chambero, hay is going to be tight everywhere.  $6+ corn has resulted in large amounts of hay and pasture being ripped up in the midwest.  Hearing the KS producers are selling untested hay for whatever they ask for it.  I deal with Dairies and am hearing Daity Quality hay at over $300/ton in the upper midwest.  Your drought situation will create unprecedented demand south and the rains in the midwest and east are making it terribly difficult to get anything made of acceptable quality

rocknmranch

Here in CA, too many fields didnt get planted with hay because of all the rain. It's going to be a premium here too.  Looking at $280+ for a ton of alfalfa.

Bulldaddy

Yes, hay is already very tight here in Texas.  Top quality coastal is selling for $90 per big round bale going mainly to dairies and horse people.  We put some nice oat hay in the barn this spring but it won't be enough.  Will round it out with maize stalks and maybe some alfalfa from up north.  The only way to change that is to get a hurricane.

The Show

Its all dried up here in east tx as well. Our place made 162 rolls in one cutting the year before last, and we just cut it about a week ago and it only made 27 rolls.

husker1

First cutting was big in central nebraska...but....as a poster above stated, there were lots and lots of acres broke up to plant the high priced corn and soybeans...

Our price will be driven by the lower numbers of acres. 

We've already purchased the best native grass hay that you can imagine for $75 per ton delivered.  Alfalfa trading from $80 to $100 per ton, but not much moving yet.

Jenny

in South Dakota, there has been hardly any put up yet because we've been so far behind in planting and now record amounts of rainfall....should be looking at second cutting but still haven't cut the first time yet.
got to think there will be lots of hay put up but price???

Will

Their will be some hay in North east Oklahoma, Southwest Missouri and Northwest Arkansas.  We sell some horse quality hay and have a waiting list.  I would think the trucking would be make hauling hay long distances some what cost prohibitive.  I am sure a lot of guys are thinking about selling out with the draught combine with high cattle prices.

shortdawg

I have a pretty good supply here and would sell some but the buyer would have to provide the hauling.

firesweepranch

There was a posting on Craig's list today for hay in Miami, OK for $95/ton. Kinda high! But over 3000 bales... posting ID was 2457241801 for anyone interested.

KCK

Just last night my daddy, in Indiana, said he would have more hay than he could feed, but the freight would kill someone. In my mind, you buys some from him and he has to come visit me- fine by me, but otherwise not sure how you could affort to get it. PM me if you would be in dire straights enough to attempt to get it down to ya.

chambero

Thank you for the responses.  We'll have to make a decision on what to do in another month.  I was just curious what parts of the country actually had hay.  I figured the areas that are either too dry or too wet resulted in limited options.  I know trucking will be very expensive, but its either that or sell off heifers that are not easily replaceable.

Shady Lane

In my area of South West Saskatchewan there is more hay than we know what to do with, lots left over from the last two years and another big hay crop out there waiting to be cut in the next 3-4 weeks.

Hay has been trading for about $50/ton if you can find anybody to buy it.

It's a welcome change, 2 years ago where I was in Central Alberta there was next to no hay after 2 years of drought and hay was selling for $100/bale.

Long winters here mean that it costs a lot to feed a cow for a year.

Jill

There should be hay everywhere around here if it would ever stop raining long enough to cut it.  There was about a 3 day stretch of 90's a couple weeks ago and a few people got some of it out then, but it has rained pretty much every day since then and with so much of the midwest flooding in all directions this could be a tough hay year for everyone. 
I know the boating and recreational sporting has it's place, but the Corp of Engineers has really put the midwest in a world of hurt trying to keep the boating world happy.

CAB

Most PPL here in the midwest have lost a cutting of hay already, so I don't think that there will an abundance of it for sale here. I talked to a guy from Akron, In. last Sunday and they hadn't had a chance to get up their first cutting yet. The weather is just crazy.
  Jill, ditto about the Corp of engineers. They build these structures for "flood control", but the allure of quick, easy money from recreation always seems to defer from the original purpose. It's like they didn't know that Mt. had record snowfall last winter.

BGF

chambero said:
Thank you for the responses.  We'll have to make a decision on what to do in another month.  I was just curious what parts of the country actually had hay.  I figured the areas that are either too dry or too wet resulted in limited options.  I know trucking will be very expensive, but its either that or sell off heifers that are not easily replaceable.
Should have enough hay Near KC area.  Might be cheaper to send up heifers here to feed than to haul hay to Texas.  I have some neighbors who are looking at taking in some to feed.  One was a retired dairy guy that feeds my cows.  I have found best way to do it.  Cost per head per day.  Being an old dairy guy he checks twice a day, and I give him calving list and then i help check during calving times.  Just a thought to save on cost.

Jill

CAB said:
Most PPL here in the midwest have lost a cutting of hay already, so I don't think that there will an abundance of it for sale here. I talked to a guy from Akron, In. last Sunday and they hadn't had a chance to get up their first cutting yet. The weather is just crazy.
   Jill, ditto about the Corp of engineers. They build these structures for "flood control", but the allure of quick, easy money from recreation always seems to defer from the original purpose. It's like they didn't know that Mt. had record snowfall last winter.
They have the farmers all in an uproar now, they had on the news last night that the Corp has now gone in and offered to buy out the farmers they are flooding, these guys are fuming thinking they are being flooded intentionally so the Corp can get their hands on the property.  BIG can of worms! 

rarebirdz

we are gonna be tight this year as well might have to be hard on the replacement pen its not  pretty

SWMO

The corp has certainly made the statement this year that agriculture is the least of their concerns.  Agriculture has been impacted by their decisions from North Dakota to the Gulf.  No one can control mother nature however, I do feel that they made poor decisions (or procrastinated) early on in the year.  The flooding is going to have long term impacts on agriculture without a doubt.