mayaguez incident

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

This thread is for all you military supporting folks.  my dad wrote this and placed a copy of it in a book titled  "the last battle" by ralph wetterhahn.

The uss coral sea was on her way to australia, and then home after a long deployment in the far east.  i was serving with VA-94, stationed on board the USS Coral Sea.  We were diverteed to support an operation associated with something called Mayaguez.  We didn't know what it was.  That is the most common thing about military operations; the people involved do not know what is happening or why.  The military job is to do what you are told.  that requires an unquestioned faith in the "system" and your Commander in Chief, the President of the United States.  You don't think about his politics, he is your leader, chosen by the people of your country.  I did that for 26 years.  I served under Preseidents Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, and Reagan.

We heard many stories about Mayaguez, whe we were involved, the failures of the Air Force, the superiority of the Navy, etc.  what we knew was that there were a number of Marines that were indire straights and we were flying sorties to support their rescue.  Later we saw Marines in stretchers brought abourt the USS Coral Sea for medical attention.  Beyond that we knew very little.  Time Magazine published a story about the incident; I have a copy.  It was fiction, as is much of what we read in our daily news media.  For example, the cover picture displayed A7 aircraaft with VA-94's (my squadron) tail insignia, claiming they were Air Force planes.

We did subsequently go ont Australia and have a great time.  It was coral Sea week in australia, when they celebrate the victory of the Battle of the Coral Sea.  australia would probably have fallen to the Japanese had not the US won the battle.  Australians love American servicemen as a result. since we were stationed on the USS Coral Sea we wereaccorded special treatment.  I could spend some time telling stories of our visit, but that is for another time.

I discovered this book quite by accident.  I have often wondered what happened during the Mayaguez Incident, and why.  Now I know, at least one researchers view.  It is an important story for Americans.  It is not a story America should be proud of.  However, it is a story that should make all Americans proud of the men and women who serve in Her armed forces.  The hero's of this story are commeon men.  You may draw your own conclusion of the rest .  You will note some similarities in our involvement in Iraq.

Why is the fate of three men important?  Read their story.

The men and women who serve our country in the Armed Forces often are political pawns.  Never think poorly of them.  You may disagree with the politics of our nation, her leaders, and her involvement in conflics; don't make the mistake of transferring that to the men and women who serve.

Dad.

as i'm finishing this, i am literally tearing up, thinking a little about cowboy and my dad, both participants in a misunderstood war.  my dad flew recon missions on P-3 Orion subchasers for years and when he would come back from deployment, they would let us go out to the planes on the tarmac after they landed.  We would watch all the families greet their dad's and look to see if we could get a glimpse of the presents they brought back from strange lands.  A lot of times, my dad who used to like to backpack in head hunter country in the phillippines with a buddy of his who was a bible translator and missionary, would purchase stuff on the trails from the tribesmen and women.  he brought back great head carvings, bows and arrows, swords, machete's, head hunter statues (which are common), boats, trinkets, all kinds of stuff.  i didn't realize it at the time, but part of the emotion everyone had on the tarmac was relief they had come back, which always reminds me in a different way about the famous kiss from WWII where the sailor is kissing the gal as she reclines.  these were different emotions, both for kids and wives, but they were overwhelming at times.  frequently, we used to board the planes and look around and smell our country on those planes.  one thing i'll never forget is the custom bathrooms that were in the news frequently due to their cost.  these planes, the P3's, were so crammed full of equipment of different upgrades and size that a bathroom was almost a luxury.  the reason the were "so" expensive (not really in my book) was that each one had custom panels to fit in a different location in the fuselage.  it was then i understood, even as a young boy, that the media were not to be trusted.

one excerpt from the book worth noting is the glee in the war room by civilians inlcuding The President, kissinger, scowcroft et al, when the Mayaguez was retaken, while marines were dying, some in the helicopter that was downed, and some on the shore.  I had to stop reading at this point and cry.  It's a short book, about 300 pages and a quick read.  it's amazing how these "tiny" countries can cause so many problems.  Freedom is not to be trivialized.  my generation was the first not to serve in the military.  I am thankful for all those who have and continue to serve this great nation.

Knabe

ELBEE

"My generation was the first not to serve in the military. I am thankful to all those who have and continue to serve this great nation."

Amen again, Knabe!

A son of the New York, Revolution volunteers, and the Illinois, Civil volunteers!

red

daughter of Revolution war, Civil War, Spanish American War, WWII, & Korean War

Red  <hero>

fluffer

My uncle was in the Korean War and his entire platoon was attacked.  He was the only one to survive (he played dead after being shot)  <hero>

I am very thankful for EVERY person who signs up and is willing to die for our freedom.  Without these brave souls we wouldn't have this wonderful life!

Thank YOu to all of you!!

Fluffer

Show Dad

Knabe that is a great American family tribute. And I am glad you understand the sacrifice your father and others have given and continue to render to their country. They are all true heros.

I know that some of you think I am from another planet but in reality my family's trip to this country started out on a prison ship from France. My ancestors were sent to this country because they questioned the rulers of a that country. They came to America before we were united. Quickly they found themselves oppressed here as well and fell in with the Sons of Liberty. But to make a long story short many of my family have put their blood, sweat and tears into service of country and their fellow countrymen. We need to continue to encourage others to do the same for one will know more of what it takes to remain free and protect liberty if they serve. Service in our military isn't required but there are also many ways to make a contribution to the United States.

God bless you Knabe you are truly a unique American.