Maybe a Vet question?? Help if you know

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

I have a heifer that is about a month or so old. Today I notice frank blood draining from her rectum. I then looked at the ground where she had laid and there was a small puddle with green mucus stool and bloody mixture. Now, I am wondering is there internal trauma or do I have a bad case of scours. I treated her with scour pills but she didn't seem to be in any distress. This evening after treatment with scour pills it seems to have slowed down. ANY THOUGHTS? ???

ShowmanQ

W have had the same issue before and assumed it was scours. Must have been correct to some degree because it worked for us. We just got them in,away from momma for a night, and gave them a healthy dose of electrolytes from a bottle (JELLO works too). Keep on it. Scours are pretty easy to take care of, but can be a bear if you leave it go unattended.

Cowboy

Don'y overlook the very distinct possibility of Clostridium Perfringens -- various types. At about a month old, that is when you will start to see some signs of it if you have a problem.

Sy,ptoms vary to some degree -- some calves will be fine at noon, playing and be dead at 4 PM. Some will just look bloated all the time, will slosh when they walk by you. Others will have what you describe too -- bloody stool is a sign of intestinal distress -- as Clostridium will affect the intestines and EAT them up from the inside out.

On a calf you lose for no apparent reason, do a necropsy on them and check the intestines. The linings will be VERy read and inflamed -- a dead give away for Clostridial infections.

Also, although it is a little early in life for this -- you may look into the chance of having some Coccidiosis present. Do you have a serious vird problem - especially around the watering systems?? Thingsto look into -- I always use Alpha-7 Clostridial vaccine for the newborn, this gives you a 30 day window early -- then I booster them all with Vision 7 or 8 at about that month age.

Good luck -- watch the calf -- it is sneaky !!

Terry

Up late tonight watching the blizzard we now have in full force -- with an overdue Hfr in the calving pen due to Tycoon -- could not be worse timeing -=- we don't have aa barn for them -- not even a shed!

ROAD WARRIOR

I heard you guys were getting blasted, I know you need the moisture but a blizzard is never good for much of anything. Good luck with the heifer! RW

REM

Cowboy said:
Don'y overlook the very distinct possibility of Clostridium Perfringens -- various types. At about a month old, that is when you will start to see some signs of it if you have a problem.

Sy,ptoms vary to some degree -- some calves will be fine at noon, playing and be dead at 4 PM. Some will just look bloated all the time, will slosh when they walk by you. Others will have what you describe too -- bloody stool is a sign of intestinal distress -- as Clostridium will affect the intestines and EAT them up from the inside out.
  Terry, I really appreciated your post.You cleared up a mystery of mine from a few years ago.  With these symptoms, at my place I would jump right to my Coccidiosis treatment plan.Which is Sustain III and Corid.

Best of luck.
Tom

Latest posts