medicating feed

Help Support Steer Planet:

gmoo

im using a bag feed that is not medicatted, what can i top dress on the feed to make it a medicated feed.

orilly

idk what we do for swine is we use atgard wormer. but i am not quiet sure if they make that for cattle

blackcows

oocc said:
im using a bag feed that is not medicatted, what can i top dress on the feed to make it a medicated feed.

Not sure your question makes any sence.  You can top dress a medication on the ration to make it medicated.  What are you trying to treat?

Mike

gmoo

i  guess i did'nt give enough info,  how to make non medicated show calf feed medicated show calf feed.

GoWyo

You mean to medicate with ionophores such as bovatec or rumensin?  You could use a rumensin block and not have to topdress.

blackcows

oocc said:
i  guess i did'nt give enough info,  how to make non medicated show calf feed medicated show calf feed.

You're still not giving enough information.  What do you mean by a medicated feed?  There are many medications you can add to a feed depending on what you are trying to acomplish.  You could add MGA to your steers ration and you would have a medicated feed but it would be pointless to do this.

simtal

blackcows said:
  You could add MGA to your steers ration and you would have a medicated feed but it would be pointless to do this.

not to mention, illegal

you typically dont make non-medicated, medicated.  Generally, you buy it already medicated.  Medicated means it has an antibiotic or similar drug formulated to provide so much antibiotic in the feed.

CAB

simtal said:
blackcows said:
  You could add MGA to your steers ration and you would have a medicated feed but it would be pointless to do this.

not to mention, illegal

you typically dont make non-medicated, medicated.  Generally, you buy it already medicated.  Medicated means it has an antibiotic or similar drug formulated to provide so much antibiotic in the feed.

Not necessarily true. There are plenty of PPL that top dress medication to the ration, but I think what PPL are wanting to know is what oocc is wanting or needing to medicate for. To add any kind of medication without a specific need seems useless and wastefull. Oocc, what are you wanting to treat?

DL

CAB said:
simtal said:
blackcows said:

not to mention, illegal

Not necessarily true. There are plenty of PPL that top dress medication to the ration, but I think what PPL are wanting to know is what oocc is wanting or needing to medicate for. To add any kind of medication without a specific need seems useless and wastefull. Oocc, what are you wanting to treat?

CAB you are incorrect and simtal is right - adding any medication to feed for cattle is illegal - just because people do it doesn't make it right

aj

What is PPL? I am currently using mineral with ctc in it to help prevent pinkeye and footrot. Had a couple calves on cows with watery eyes. It almost looked like if everybody did the ctc mineral that eventually a resistent strain of problem would occur.

GoWyo

My guess is OOCC was asking about medicated feed as in feed that contains lasalocid (Bovatec).  Can you not top dress Bovatec without running afoul of the law?

simtal

DL said:
CAB said:
simtal said:
blackcows said:
not to mention, illegal
CAB you are incorrect and simtal is right - adding any medication to feed for cattle is illegal - just because people do it doesn't make it right

Well you can buy say a bag of auromycin and formulate your own supplement (assuming the person is following labels).  My point was that most people don't formulate levels of drugs, it's already done.  Also, I was trying to say feeding mga to steers would be off-label.

blackcows

DL said:

That's not true, there are several feed grade medications that you can add to your ration. 

Mike

SouthWest

I agree Black Cow.  Ionophores, MGA, Tylan, Zinpro, lactobacillus acidophilus products, etc.  They all are legal but used for different objectives.  On bag feed, they are usually referring to Ionophores though. 

DL

IF you are interested in what the rules are
21CFR558 … lists all feeds usage info (http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_09/21cfr558_09.html)

21CFR530 … lists AMDUCA and notes ELDU is not allowed for feed additives … (http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_09/21cfr530_09.html)

Additionally CPG chapter 6 – section 615.xxx for veterinary medicine has several sections that discuss specific feed medication uses.  (http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManuals/CompliancePolicyGuidanceManual/ucm117042.htm)

GoWyo

Jeez DL, who wants to read all that stuff when you can just scoop a little on? ::)  Code of Federal Regulations is great bed time reading.  Lesson here is to just buy the medicated feed if you don't want to read all this stuff and use it properly.

DL

GoWyo said:
Jeez DL, who wants to read all that stuff when you can just scoop a little on? ::)  Code of Federal Regulations is great bed time reading.  Lesson here is to just buy the medicated feed if you don't want to read all this stuff and use it properly.

you got it ;) if it ain't already made up and in a bag - ya gotta read all that stuff (clapping) (clapping)

cattlemanr

aj said:
What is PPL? I am currently using mineral with ctc in it to help prevent pinkeye and footrot. Had a couple calves on cows with watery eyes. It almost looked like if everybody did the ctc mineral that eventually a resistent strain of problem would occur.
Despite the slanted media reports there has been no known resistence.  If you feed according to the label and used properly no resistence will occur.

Jill

We have been adding auromycin crumbles to our feed for years, so I guess go ahead and arrest me, that's what it was made for.