Melatonin and heifers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

karlie

I know that there's a post about melatonin and steers but I still have a question...
I have a nice yearling heifer that needs hair. I rinse her and brush twice daily, she goes under fans and out of the sun. We also ordered a misting system that should be here soon ( yay!) She also has a little attitude. She is very well behaved but sometimes she is a little antsy or she might even " lose it" for a second and then act normal again. She's a big girl , and I'm not so that worries me. Anyway my point is that we will be breeding her soon and I would like to start her on melatonin for both hair growth and the calming effect. I bought 240 5mg pills. Is it safe to start her and keep her on melatonin if we breed her?  Thanks!

shortyjock89

I've never had one not breed that we fed it to.  It works pretty good for taking the edge off and hair growth.  I wouldn't expect yak shag on her, but it will help.

rtmcc

We have used it on yearling heifers before, during and after breeding and never had a problem.  it sure helps give the hair some texture.

Good luck!
<cowboy>

Latest posts