MELATONIN DOSAGE

Help Support Steer Planet:

greenbriarfarms228

I have a heifer that has a bit of an attitude and bolts when walking. She needs to calm down a little. I bought some melatonin while ago. how much do you give a 900 lb. heifer? show is in a week and I would really like to take her. Thanks!

Annoth

For just a 900 who bolts and breaks loose, I'd give a good 20 ml (aka 20 cc) and check her reactions. If extremely groggy, lower dose. If still spooky, increase. Could take as soon as an hour to work or as long as 3 since she'll have to digest.

In the mean time it'd be worth teaching her she cant escape the halter by tying to a sturdy fence and using the stick / a rope to touch sensitive areas like the feet and underline while standing where she cant see you. Not hard or fast, but enough to make her decently uncomfortable. If she's drugged up too, she probably wont have the strength to really fight and will eventually act like it's no big deal.

If melatonin dosnt work, I've have good luck with tryptophan supplements.

simba

I had a waco steer (no other way to put it, he was a nutcase) that got 90mg of melatonin daily to keep him somewhat manageable and 130mg of melatonin on the morning of the show. On showday I also gave him an ounce of whiskey when I loaded him on the trailer in the morning and another ounce of whiskey right before I unloaded him at the show. A friend of mine who sells cattle supplies & supplents told my to try the whiskey (it's one of their old family secrets) and with that combination I was able to show the steer. Good luck!

greenbriarfarms228

Thank you. I'm trying the melatonin giving 35 mg twice a day. Hope that's enough. She seems to be getting calmer!