Merchandising... The most bang for your buck

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

red said:
Ah, so true on the Ad! I guess I remember Eastern Sky's site. RHD did it & it certainly reflects Malinda's personality.  I guess it just gets down to whether or not you can design a web page. Many can't & they might as well use someone that does a good job.

I like picture of cattle in the pasture a lot better than those that are all glittered up. but if you have bad or porr pictures you might as well not post them. Once again if you can't do it yourself & many can't, get someone that can do a good job.

Red

When is the next game?

Red
Yeah, I like Malinda's site too - but I will betcha Malinda put some time and effort into the concept. From what I have been told by "web designers" most people appear and say I need a web site, will you make me one, not I want a web site and here is my idea of how I want it to be...

Next game is Sat in BFLO - apparently the Ottawa fans had their curling brooms out to "sweep" the sidewalk because they thought they were going to sweep the series...pity.....remember every 33 years a hockey miracle occurs -

ELBEE - the big red cow (my cow, I just re-read that and thought someone might think it was a red slam!) is pregnant to Gizmo - due Jan 10 - 08....hoping for a heifer

Jill

No amount of advertising makes for a repeat customer, that comes down to standing behind what you sell- service, this business is no differenct than any other.

DL

Jill said:
No amount of advertising makes for a repeat customer, that comes down to standing behind what you sell- service, this business is no differenct than any other.

and that I believe we can agree on! ;D

red

Oh, I'm sure, knowing Malinda, she had a lot of input in her site!

I think I can get the game on local TV. Now, the questions is- am I a jinx? Remember A3 whenever he watched? They lost! Should I take a chance & watch or is it best I don't? It seems that when it comes to OSU (Ohio, Jill) I'm a jinx!
Great on the big red girl! I was afraid you were going to say that they'd think it was this Red that was pregnanant!
Telos & ZNT- my Foreplay cow has missed 2 heats! I think we got us a liitle Triple X coming here in Ohio!!!

Red- not the pregnant one!

DL

red said:
Oh, I'm sure, knowing Malinda, she had a lot of input in her site!

I think I can get the game on local TV. Now, the questions is- am I a jinx? Remember A3 whenever he watched? They lost! Should I take a chance & watch or is it best I don't? It seems that when it comes to OSU (Ohio, Jill) I'm a jinx!
Great on the big red girl! I was afraid you were going to say that they'd think it was this Red that was pregnanant!
Telos & ZNT- my Foreplay cow has missed 2 heats! I think we got us a liitle Triple X coming here in Ohio!!!

Red- not the pregnant one!

You would be my friend Red (and I believe I actually named you! sort of ) as opposed to My Big Red Cow who is my big red cow - the latter being pregnant - the former not - so life is good!

As one of the old BFLO Sabres now commentator said - these guys are paid a lot of money to entertain us - watch!

Ya know I had a flash back as we were all weighing in on this topic - think back folks to a bru ha ha about a bull ad that got a lot of "press" but most of it unfavorable - it goes back to the know your market and use your brain - I suspect I am in the minority about the red headed kid - so it probably worked, but the personal pregnancy devices didn't........

stick

justme said:
Ok, as a business woman...I say go website!  Find a great host though.  I tried them all and so far EDJE is getting me the most bang for my buck.  I do use Club Calf for banner ads, and that helps bring my hits up.  90 percent of my business goes out of state from my "little" website. The key is to buy your domain name (and make it easy to remember), find a great host, and update pictures ALOT!  If its cattle, even try calf of the week or month.  Just get something new on it.

Good luck!
Gidget
www.funkystitches.com

Some of the better sites I've seen are by Ranch House Designs.

red

Poor AJ! He probably never imagined his simple question would be such a hot topic!!!
He's probably going to rethink marketing now!!

Red

DL

red said:
Poor AJ! He probably never imagined his simple question would be such a hot topic!!!
He's probably going to rethink marketing now!!

Red

or drop the cows and go with the Beefpacas - they are so sought after you don't need to market!

I didn't remember who did Malinda's site - I just remembered that I liked the site - maybe that is the point I was trying to make - if the first thing you remember is who did the site and not the sight there is (in my mind) an issue!  ;D Go funky - I'm with you -  EDJE - most bang for the buck and they still cash your check if you call them  EDGE :
:D

red

I thought RHD did hers but I might be wrong.

Red

you are right about the beefpacas. No need to advertise. you have to beat the potential buyers away w/ baseball bats there are so many of them!!!

itk

aj, Since you are a shorthorn breeder I would definitely recommend Rachel and RHD. I have known Rachel for a number of years and worked with her on a few projects. (no web site yet but we will someday when it can stay on the top of the to do list for more then a day) The thing that I liked was her knowledge of the shorthorn breed and therefore her ability to make the add more appealing to my target audience, which is purebred shorthorn breeders. I don't think the adds would have been as effective if they were made by a company with other breed ties and it got more individual attention then if one of the magazines would have made it in house. Additionally she works closely with SC so getting pics and other items taken care of is a snap. When we first started selling cattle we budgeted 10% of our gross in advertising but with cheaper more effective advertising methods now available and an increased name recognition it has decreased dramatically. We use things like hats, pens etc.. as thank yous to customers. The most important thing is to always look professional. No matter if it is your stall at the county fair or NWSS it should always look well kept and clean, pictures should always show cattle looking their best and be presented in an attractive way. Make people want to be interested in your product then be accessible to them to talk about what you have to sell in person by phone or email.

red

aj said:
Dear red, wow this is great info. ;D

AJ- glad to be of some help. I think this topic very interesting for many of us.
Anthing I can do to be of any help- let me know!

Red

aj

Thanks itk. You have a class, long time successfull operation. I think I will have to do a website. The 10% figure is interesting. Merchandizing is not an end all but I guess you got to do it. Leachman once said that preachers, teachers, and mothers are salespeople and merchandiser's. So not all merchandisers are crooks. They merchandise ideas and principles. I don't know anyone that liked leachman but they sell the hell out of cattle. (dog) (dog) (dog)

itk

We got the 10% number from Verl Shell who recommended it to us when we first got into shorthorns. It was probally a little overkill but we definitely saw a return on it. Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is non-traditional means and simple name association. With Jr. Nationals in Kansas City next year all of us Ks folks will have plenty of chances to help out. When we donated the flush at the beef expo the we got extra coverage on the lot at Louisville, the live auctions release and the beef expo press release. This was free extra publicity for our operation and it went to a great cause, that will help future generations of shorthorn breeders. By donating a flush we are out no money because the buyer pays all costs associated with the flush but we got a ton of exposure. The same goes for the "Funding the Future" sale we donated 2 flushes and some embryos. Our farm name is in SC three times and all we will be out is the freezing cost of the embryos (that is cheap advertising to me.) Don't get me wrong we would donate with out any exposure,  because we are such strong believers in the junior program, but this is just one another way to get your name out. Find any excuse to get people to the farm you can. We host a judging contest and a college work out at our farm every year. This gets hundreds of kids to our place annually and the only expense we have is food. While these activities might not work for you try getting on a Farm Bureau or county ag tour. There are almost limitless ways to get exposure with little cost, you sometimes just have to think outside the box.

Latest posts