Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

• nothing at all

• Total voters

CPL

I thought this was interesting from FOX news

For some people it's a dilemma: 21 percent say they feel obligated to say "Happy Holidays" -- incorporating Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and, perhaps, the Winter Solstice or the Seinfeldian Festivus into their seasonal hello.

But they are still a considerable minority. A full 77 percent of Americans say they say "Merry Christmas," according to a FOX News poll released Tuesday.

Democrats (28 percent), urbanites (28 percent) and Northeasterners (25 percent) are among those more likely to say they feel pressured to use a generic "Happy Holidays" greeting.

On the flip side, Republicans (87 percent), regular churchgoers (82 percent) and rural Americans (83 percent) are more likely to say "Merry Christmas," the poll found.

Merry Christmas everyone!  ;D

shortyjock89

I don't mind the Happy Holidays thing really...I have some Jewish friends (They don't always attend temple, but they are Jewish by birth), some African-American friends that are, while Christians, connected with their roots in Africa and like to have some festivities that aren't necessarily like our Western Christmas celebrations. 

Merry Christmas to my Christian friends, and Happy Holidays to those who celebrate differently!

jason

Merry Christmas

I am still mad that our city removed our Nativity scene from the civic auditorium. 

AAOK

Jesus loves the little children
All the children of the world;
Red and yellow, black and white,
They are precious in His sight;
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

justintime

Merry Christmas to everyone!  All this political correctness garbage really makes me gag..... When our schools can't have a Christmas concert or a Christmas tree because someone may be offended, I kinda go wild.

it just doesn't concern Christmas, but goes way beyond .... schools here no longer can fail a student who does not write an exam. No student can be failed because it may make them feel inferior. You can't mention Christmas, because some Arab kid may feel left out..... but at the same time, the Arab kid can wear his ceremonial dagger to school...  We got way too many mush heads running our affairs.

oakbar

You said it straight, JIT!!  I agree with you on all counts. 

I've noticed that usuallly Christians feel that they should make an effort for those of another faith to help them feel included or to worship as they wish.  Why is it the other religions or the secular activists are always trying to prevent Christians from showing their faith??  How would citizens of countries who were formed under Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu, etc. faiths respond if their elected officials wanted to  outlaw any expression of those faiths?  I'l bet they wouldn't sit back and let the government legislate their faith out of all public places!!

The Iowegian's opinion is this---For those  who don't believe in Christ---don't take Christmas as a day off work, don't participate in any of the celebrations, don't go shopping---just treat it like another work day!!    Oh, and show some respect for those of us who do believe and keep your opinions about my religion to yourself--just as I would do for you!!  Oh, by the way,  Happy New Year--at least in this country!!

For the rest of you--HAVE A VERY, VERY, VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A BLESSED NEW YEAR!!!! 

justme

I gues were lucky to live in such a small community (48 in our town and 1200 in our county)  we still have Christmas trees in school, we have Christmas parites, christmas concert and we still have pre graduation church services and prayer at graduation.  We still use Merry Christmas....but if someone was a different religion, I have no problem saying happy holidays to them if I know.  But, if I don't know I don't mean to offend, but I say Merry Christmas

Dusty

I say Merry Xmas and I don't really care if it offends somebody.  I probably wouldn't knowingly say it to a friend that was  jew or muslim, but I don't have any friends that aren't Christians so I don't worry about it.  I really don't care about political correctness and I really don't see how a the words Merry Christmas could really offend somebody.  There are a lot of things that other people do that I don't like, but I don't whine about it.  This country has taken politcal correctness way too far.  To the point it has threatened national security because we're too afraid we're going to offend someone if we investigate them because of the obvious reasons. 

Another note, Christmas has gotten to perverted from the original holiday that it's not even what it was supposed to be about anymore.  Anymore it can be summed up as "spending money you don't have on people you don't like.."
I have come to detest christmas.  My favorite holidays are the summer ones where you just get together with the family and friends that you do like and just hang out and grill steaks and drink beer go to the lake whatever.  Its about enjoying time with the people you care about.  Not about spending money on people and worrying someone else is going to spend more or less than you are.  My brothers and I don't exchange gifts and I put money in the bank for my little sisters and then give them the deposit slip on xmas day.  I told my Dad that a log of chew and a case of beer would suffice for my christmas gifts if he feels compelled to get me something...

RSC

Dusty said:
I say Merry Xmas and I don't really care if it offends somebody.  I probably wouldn't knowingly say it to a friend that was  jew or muslim, but I don't have any friends that aren't Christians so I don't worry about it.  I really don't care about political correctness and I really don't see how a the words Merry Christmas could really offend somebody.  There are a lot of things that other people do that I don't like, but I don't whine about it.  This country has taken politcal correctness way too far.  To the point it has threatened national security because we're too afraid we're going to offend someone if we investigate them because of the obvious reasons. 

Another note, Christmas has gotten to perverted from the original holiday that it's not even what it was supposed to be about anymore.  Anymore it can be summed up as "spending money you don't have on people you don't like.."
I have come to detest christmas.  My favorite holidays are the summer ones where you just get together with the family and friends that you do like and just hang out and grill steaks and drink beer go to the lake whatever.  Its about enjoying time with the people you care about.  Not about spending money on people and worrying someone else is going to spend more or less than you are.  My brothers and I don't exchange gifts and I put money in the bank for my little sisters and then give them the deposit slip on xmas day.  I told my Dad that a log of chew and a case of beer would suffice for my christmas gifts if he feels compelled to get me something...
  Dusty, have your Dad get a log of chew for me as well, LOL.  I tell everyone for gifts, Gift certs to Sullivans or TSC is all I need.

Is that the way it is for others, no traditional Christmas songs at school concerts?  We had ours a week ago and I made that comment that I bet it's not this way around the country?  Every class sang at least 2 songs.  One was a traditional song that was about the birth of Christ!  And yes this is a public school.  Maybe it won't last for ever,  but it's nice for now. 

Tony

RSC

inthebarnagain

Our school has traditional hymn type Christmas songs too.  Of course we live in a very small rural community, so that isn't much of a surprise.  The surprise for me was when my 5th grade daughter who is singing in the "Circle the State with song" (Indiana) brought her music home to learn and lo and behold 5 of the 6 songs were religious songs, some were old ones in Hebrew.  I was impressed and sad to say, surprised.

farwest

Merry Christmas dusty.  May your beer be cold and your snuff stay moist under your tree

Dusty

farwest said:
Merry Christmas dusty.  May your beer be cold and your snuff stay moist under your tree

That is the one advantage of winter...you don't have worry about keeping beer on ice..its always cold