MF Pacer cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

DFSC

I'm a newbie at cattle and have a question.... I have a cow out of Pacer on the top and Phildon XS on the bottom, any idea's on what to breed her to?

Attachments

• LOLA.JPG
    LOLA.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 369

DL

You would certainly want to breed her to something clean - ie TH and PHA free. XS is a TH carrier and has the potential to be a PHA carrier, but I do not think he has been tested for PHA. You could call Joel Brooks and ask him. I am pretty hot on Gizmo (Elbee Leader C087) for exceptional females; you could also consider Wymore (Elbee Leader 321N) or Jakes Proud Jazz. Whatever you do if you don't know the TH and PHA status of your cow breed her to a clean bull.

oakbar

You might want to consider SS Deadwood also.  He's PHA and TH negative and has been putting nice calves on the ground.  He's out CCC Gold Rush and AF Margie's Dream Lady 05.  Newer bull but he looks like he may have a bright future as a calving ease sire!!

Doc

I would try Durango(works good on Trump ), SS Kaboom, or Red Vision. I don't think she looks like she has enough frame for Proud Jazz. JMO.

DL

Doc said:
I would try Durango(works good on Trump ), SS Kaboom, or Red Vision. I don't think she looks like she has enough frame for Proud Jazz. JMO.

Yer the Shortie guy - you are probably right! ;) although that could be a really tall fence ::) ::)

DFSC - are we talking cow or heifer here??

NHR Shorthorns

HD Big and Rich, SS Kaboom, OLD Skool, SS Deadwood, WHR Sonny Duece
Yea any of these bulls should create the next national champ.
Find a full brother to HD Bloodstone

justintime

I would go with Wolf Willow Major Leroy 1M. Semex International purchased the world semen rights from us and he is being marketed in over 100 countries. No bull I have ever used adds as much thickness or butt and they have lots of hair as well. No cripples as Leroy is really structurally sound. I have been hearing great reports from around the world as his first calves are arriving. Leroy's dam is pictured beside this post by my name. I heard that the owner of the first leory heifer in the US refused $15,000 for her at two days of age. He has said this heifer is the best he has raised.... and he has raised some good ones.Lreoy offspring are also some of the quietest I have ever worked with.

justintime

I have never promoted Leroy as being a heifer bull, but I know some people have used him on heifers.I have not heard any horror stories, and usually bad news calving stories travel very fast.  I am hesitant to tell anyone that Leroy is safe for any heifer, as so many things affect birth weight and calving ease besides the sire.  Things like enviroment, feed, exercise, and genetics of the heifers, can affect the birth weight as much as the sire, but the sire always seems to get the blame. I have only calved two heifers to leroy, and they were moderate BW and born easily. On my cows, most Leroy calves are in the 90 to 100 lb range ( keeping in mind that calves here in the North can weigh as much as 10 to 15 lb more at birth than identical calves in the southern US. ) 

One of my favorite bulls to use on heifers is Shadybrook Optimum 75F . He was bred here at our farm and was sold in dam to Shadybrook. Semex purchased him and he was mainly sold in South America and he was used in many commercial herds and dairy herds in Eastern Canada. I know they had semen in the US but I don't think he was ever promoted much. What I like about him, is his calves are born easily, they are all polled, they are eye appealing attractive calves and you end up with a calf that is marketable, along with a heifer that re breeds quickly. We have one Optimum bull selling in our Sun Country bull sale on April 19th . He was born unassisted from a small framed heifer, yet he has developed into one of our best bulls in the sale. To me, that is what you want from your heifers. I have attached a picture of Optimum. He may be worth a phone call to Semex to see if they still have him in stock.

Attachments

• shadybrook optimum .jpg
    shadybrook optimum .jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 278

garybob

DFSC said:
How are red visions BW?
If you look at Sherwood Red Vision's actual BW himself,  then consider you are breeding him to a young cow/heifer, it should be simply determined that he is not a calving-ease sire.

GB

showman ne

final solution or any other solution son (anything that goes back to the trump x 004 cross for that matter) . maybe sin city or sinister.

garybob

showman said:
final solution or any other solution son (anything that goes back to the trump x 004 cross for that matter) . maybe sin city or sinister.
For CALVING EASE? You kids amaze me.

:(GB

Doc

garybob said:
DFSC said:
She will have her first calf in August, she is bred to Surf
Ma'am, those ''sires'' the other youngsters on here mentioned, are "risky", even on mature cows.

GB

GB, I don't know where you are coming from saying that the sires mentioned on here are risky. To be honest I'm personally offended that you are saying that my bull Durango is risky. How many calves have you had by him or any other bull mentioned on this thread. I just don't understand how you can say that, plus there must be an awful lot of risk takers in the world because those are some awful popular bulls mentioned.

garybob

Doc said:
garybob said:
DFSC said:
She will have her first calf in August, she is bred to Surf
Ma'am, those ''sires'' the other youngsters on here mentioned, are "risky", even on mature cows.

GB

GB, I don't know where you are coming from saying that the sires mentioned on here are risky. To be honest I'm personally offended that you are saying that my bull Durango is risky. How many calves have you had by him or any other bull mentioned on this thread. I just don't understand how you can say that, plus there must be an awful lot of risk takers in the world because those are some awful popular bulls mentioned.
Because, Doc, I only used bulls that I knew the BW's on, and had made personal visits to their breeders and viewed their dams. I used, almost exclusively, Bulls from Shorthorn Breeders Y'uns ain't never heard about, and, probably never will, as most of them are working on "Thousand Hills Ranch", nowadays. Guys like Tom Deffenderfer, Max Whittle, Dr. CE Harlan, and Russell Sloan, for example. I also bought bulls from Brian Banzet, Paul Bridwell, and Stanley Stanton. People with common sense. I used the following AI bulls :Waukaru Carnegie, and GFS Creole, and NEO-SHO-Millenium (Red Angus).
Doc, I have seen FIRST HAND, with my own eyes, a giant, dead one out of Durango. Again, at the place of somebody in SW MO, who wanted a single great one, instead of a pasture-full of good ones that calve unassisited and raise a calf to weaning every year. Different strokes for different folks, and, my opinion isn't obviously, worth the price of a 20-ounce Soda. However, don't take my word for it, refer to Cody Nelson's column in the current Shorthorn Country. I'm not the only one who's stirring the pot.

GB