Midwestern---Morels...yum...yum

Help Support Steer Planet:

bradycreek

I started a tradition with my wife during our first year of marriage.
Every spring I fry up some morel mushrooms and grill a couple big juicy T-Bone steaks--From the steer we bought at the local Co Fair.  Washed down with some chilled wine and beer. Beer for me and I usually finish off the wine bottle after her 2 glass limit  ;)
Well this year almost didn't happen. I didn't have much time to go a looking and finally just flat out made time. Found a few although not enough for a feast but still was re....ally good. Hope to find some more tonight but its getting kinda late for these parts.
Good luck hunting you Northerners.
dh

knabe

at first i thought this was midwestern morals.

http://thegreatmorel.com/

i don't have a tradition like that.  my favorite are the lobster mushrooms

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Hypomyces_lactifluorum.html                i've never seen any in the wild.

rmbcows

bradycreek...  when do you start looking for morels in your area?  Here in OK we start looking for them when the redbuds are blooming.  I've been wondering if we shouldn't continue hunting them longer than we do. 

bradycreek

I'd say when the red bud first starts to bloom is a good rule of thumb. I like to start when the may flowers first start to come up. Here in Northern Missouri I've found small greys-as eary as April 8th and larger yellow and whites as late as May 15th. I'm not a die hard hunter and I know that in this area some find them before and after the dates listed. This spring has been colder than normal around here so that has everything pushed back a little. To me it seems real late to for me to go hunting but my students are still finding a few. The largest amounts round here were found right at end of april and first of May this year.
dh

red

we used to having hunting parties w/ my grandparents. would them fry those puppies in butter!!!

Red  (pop)

Latest posts