milk replacer

Help Support Steer Planet:

showstick09

What is everybody's input on adding milk replacer to a steer's feed? I heard it was high in protein. If anyone knows more about it and how much to feed it, please let me know. I'd like to know more before trying it out.

showstick09

showsteerdlux said:
Why are you wanting to add it to his feed? Hair growth, does he need to grow or what?

He doesn't need hair, he will be shown slick. I want to add it because I heard it gave them a good bloom. I don't know exactly, that's what I am trying to figure out.

showsteerdlux

I'd be more worried about getting him finished correctly and have the freshness to his finish. Maybe some of the others have ideas on that but stuff like golden flow or corn oil seems to put a fresh finish on them.  Seems the extra protein would do the opposite to that.

showstick09

He is finishing real well right now. He weighs a good 1,050 right now and he shows at the beginning of March. I started adding Golden Flow to his feed a couple of months back.

renegade

Last year someone suggested putting it on my feed...they said that it worked for them. They said it made the hair a little nicer and kept the steers on their feed when it got hot but that they might go off feed for a day or two until they got use to it.  I got one bag and tried it but i just dont think it does enough to justify buying it ... especially as exspenive as it is. If you do want to try it just sprinkle it over the top then mix it in...the younger calves seem to take to it a lot better than the older ones.

showsteerdlux

How tall or short is he because you only have about 40 days until the beginning of march. IMO he should be 1250 or higher to be competitive so can you get him correctly finished in that amount of time? I'd probably stay away from the milk replacer since you show slicked and just worry about the finish.

showstick09

showsteerdlux said:
How tall or short is he because you only have about 40 days until the beginning of march. IMO he should be 1250 or higher to be competitive so can you get him correctly finished in that amount of time? I'd probably stay away from the milk replacer since you show slicked and just worry about the finish.

I think that I will stay away from the milk replacer. He is pretty tall I guess but he doesn't look skinny or anything. Steer's at our country show don't really get that big. Maybe a couple. He will be in the right range in March compared to all of the other steers. And by the way, what does IMO mean??