Mineral Program

Help Support Steer Planet:

DFSC

I live in south central Texas and am looking to change up our mineral program. Right now we are using cheaper mineral and it is not getting the job done. What do y'all recommend and where can I get it?

Thanks,

Jordan

lightnin4

Vita Ferm minerals are really good, but they are some of the higher priced ones.  They have them formulated for several types of situatuions.  The concept aid is really good for helping boost conception rates.  I worked for a vet who was also a vita ferm dealer and we got to see the changes it made to herds.  I'm in Tennessee, so I don't know where you can buy it where you're at.  Go to the Vita Ferm website and check the dealer locator.

sue

KENT 365. Cows clean and breed back $22/ bag. 

AAOK

ADM/Moormans, Vigortone, or Vita Ferm.  Buy one medicated with Aureomycin if possible, Loose,and fed free choice.  Never add salt or use salt blocks.

nck21

Yeah - salt blocks are cheap! lol

Right now we're using Vita Ferm Concept Aid but it's $33 a bag! And we have 90 cows, so we're switching off between it and cheaper mineral.

lowann

nck21 said:

Right now we're using Vita Ferm Concept Aid but it's $33 a bag! And we have 90 cows, so we're switching off between it and cheaper mineral.

That is what we use. Expensive, but well worth it.

nck21

lowann said:
nck21 said:

That is what we use. Expensive, but well worth it.
It lasts longer than the mineral we were using before, so it's about the same price.
Hope it pays off when we start breeding.

drl

AAOK said:
ADM/Moormans, Vigortone, or Vita Ferm.  Buy one medicated with Aureomycin if possible, Loose,and fed free choice.  Never add salt or use salt blocks.

Why do you want one with aureomycin? Milk increase? Disease prevention?... I have always seen it as an option but didn't know if the cost is worth it.

Coop

We use Nutrena brand black mineral. They have four different mineral mixes for different needs but we use the black year round. It is the only one offered by Nutrena that is chelated. I would be interested in Vita Ferm if it was available near by. i think it is a good product also.

DFSC

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Are there any ingredients that are key to have in the mineral? I know I've heard selenium several times. Is that put standard into all mineral mixes? Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with me  :)

nebraskadave

Don't add salt???????  anyone who feeds a mineral that is 10% salt and cost $30 a bag ($1200/ton or $.60/lb) is feeding awfully high priced salt. If your mineral is 10% salt then every ton of mineral would have 200lbs. salt in it at a cost of $.60/lb or $120.  On the other hand you can buy salt at $100/ton or $.05/lb.  That same 200lbs. of salt would only cost $10.   

cowman 52

And some one with a lot more time  figured how much mineral a cow needed,  and used salt as the inducement to eat most minerals which usually have the taste of a s*** sandwhich,  feeding the salt block along with the salt/mineral just how much  results in about 1/3 enough mineral.  so just how much did you actually save in costs-  2 pregnancies in 20 cows is worth how much???
  The np minerals are a vigorotone knock off and do a good job for us here in west Texas,  the np2 with rabon is 24.50 a bag

DFSC

Thank you for all the replies. We did some research on the Vita Ferm Concept Aid and they recommended to only feed this mineral before breeding and not while the cow is bred. They said that in bred cows it really doesn't do much to help them. So, what do y'all feed to your bred cows?

Thanks,

Jordan

Bulldaddy

DFSC said:
I live in south central Texas and am looking to change up our mineral program. Right now we are using cheaper mineral and it is not getting the job done. What do y'all recommend and where can I get it?

Thanks,

Jordan

About 5 years ago we switched to a custom blended mineral with chelated copper and other trace minerals.  We have it made by Southwestern Livestock Minerals in San Angelo and they deliver.  We usually order a ton or two and split the frieight with  another rancher. We are pleased with the increase performance and fertility since we started using this mineral. The key for us is the chelated copper in the blend. Give them a call at 1-800-777-0232 and ask for Bain.