Mineral Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

firesweepranch

So, we are having a quandary over here. Our mineral consumption has gone through the roof over the last few months, and specifically the last week! We are currently in a really bad drought situation, and feeding hay already. Cows and calves are still on pasture, there is just nothing growing (it is brown and crispy). In one particular pasture, there are 12 cows with 5 spring calves (the others are fall calving cows). We put out 100 pounds of mineral (with IGR) on Saturday last week. Today, it is GONE! That is more than a pound per head per day (including calves)!!!! What to do? We plan on moving the mineral feeder tonight before we refill (it is near the water source), but we do not want to let them run out because they need the daily dose of IGR (which is AWESOME, by the way! No fly problems this year). I was thinking of getting a salt lick to put in there, because maybe they are eating it out of boredom? The hay (5 x 5 bale) lasts about 4 to 5 days, and I let them "graze" for two days to stretch the hay supply (this is our winter hay we are feeding!), are they eating the mineral because they are hungry? Our cattle are not skinny (no ribs on any showing, and 5 are nursing calves, with two of those being 2 year old first time calvers).

So, does the drought cause this? All of our other cattle get their mineral added to their grain (note, they are up in our "show" pasture so they get fed grain even if they are not shown, individually, so we can watch for heats and such). So no problem there with mineral consumption....

gary89

In my experience they will definitely eat more mineral when they are hungry. The quality of grass definitely makes a difference as well. I would buy some loose salt and mix in with mineral to reduce consumption. Play with how much until you get proper consumption.

McM93

gary89 said:
In my experience they will definitely eat more mineral when they are hungry. The quality of grass definitely makes a difference as well. I would buy some loose salt and mix in with mineral to reduce consumption. Play with how much until you get proper consumption.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Our mineral consumption always goes through the roof during the "normal"  (pop) summer down here and is worse the earlier and more severe the drought is... How is Mo doing? We have been super busy, which is good, but not always fun.... ;)

CAB

We switched to Kay-Dee mineral out of Sioux City, Iowa and have been very impressed with their mineral Kay-Dee CLR special M mineral. Consumption is not a problem what so ever. 2 to 4 oz. per head per day with free choice loose salt offered. CLR stands for cleaning, lactating, & rebreeding. Google the co.

kanshow

It might help to put a good protien tub out too..  Vita Ferm is the one I'd recommend.    Also, we always put a block of salt in our mineral tubs with the loose mineral  .. they can't consume those so fast so always have a salt source if they happen to run out of mineral