minimum wage

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t01.htm

the biggest jump was for teenagers, the group minimum wage helps the most.  typical.  forcibly raise the wages, and you will see employers find other ways to get by.  85% of ALL teens receive $1 more and hour within 1 year of getting hired.  but it's those 15% who we have to make equal to the 85%.

subsidize no change and there will be no change.

NHR

Another bad idea, raise the minimum that you have to pay someone and guess what? Cost of goods rise. The "Big Mac" is either going to get more expensive or going to get smaller. Remember business 101 is to make money and pass all cost off to the consumer.

j3cattleco

The funny thing here is new mexico is they are seeing adverse affects with the raising of minimum wage.  In santa fe, they raised the minimum wage to 9.50 a couple years ago and have seen the drop out rate of high school students double.  the kids feel that they are making enough money that they should just quit school and go to work.  They are talking about rescinding the act, to try and curb high school drop outs.  I just wish the american worker weren't so prideful that we could stop sending all the manufacturing jobs oversees. 

JbarL

NHR said:
Another bad idea, raise the minimum that you have to pay someone and guess what? Cost of goods rise. The "Big Mac" is either going to get more expensive or going to get smaller. Remember business 101 is to make money and pass all cost off to the consumer.
unfortunatelly most  of the folks that work at mcdonalds/burger king/ golden corral ect dont get 40 hrs a week.....most have about 15/18 employees averaging about 28 hrs a week....maybe  2 of those  actually make a living at working there....they will simply cut back to  14/17  employees working an average of 26  hrs a week....reasutrants have alot more to worry about than minuminum wage....mc donalds here has .49 hamburger  .59 cheesburger .....quiznos subs are down to 5.00.........applebees/ruby tuesdays/ outbacks ect .....are shakin' in there boots about now.....a family of four cannot afford to spend 60/70 bucks for an average sit down mid week dinner anymore......the minimum wage crowd even at 40 hrs a week cant afford to spend 25% of there weekely check on dinner out 1 night a week.. ...bloomin' onion or bloomin rent??  .......................................  jbarl

BAM

This is a way the gov. can put more revenue in their pocket and nobody knows what happened.It helps no one because it does raise the price on everything enough to off set the so-called raise,but the gov. collects alot more in taxes in everyway you can imagine. we're all SUCKERS!!

BIGTEX

I wish the government would understand that min. wage is a starting wage not a living wage. Most people that make min. wage are teenagers, not people trying to raise a family.

NHR

BIGTEX said:
I wish the government would understand that min. wage is a starting wage not a living wage. Most people that make min. wage are teenagers, not people trying to raise a family.

We have a winner!!!

knabe

JbarL said:
unfortunatelly most  of the folks that work at mcdonalds/burger king/ golden corral ect dont get 40 hrs a week.....most have about 15/18 employees averaging about 28 hrs a week....maybe  2 of those  actually make a living at working there...

these jobs are for kids, not aduts.  the one's making the living working full time are the managers and assistant managers.  the problem is that we have turned these jobs into jobs for poorly educated adults and now they need assistance.
previously, i showed a picture of the local jack in the box where there were 4 very old mobile homes where a few of the employees lived.  the average house price near this jack in the box is about 2 million.  the ONLY employees working there are mexican descent women about 40 years old.  there are NO KIDS working there.

i worked at jack in the box in high school, and worked grave yard shift while i went to JC and took gen ed courses, then transferred.