Monopoly Club Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

Hodgie76

What is the best Monopoly clone, or son, to use to sire calves with moderate birth weights, that are around 85 lbs or less? I am looking for a bull that has a good disposition and is black. I am going to use this bull on average type cows not extreme clubby type females. I am not a fan of MBA.

Warrior10

Without seeing the cows: Unstoppable, Monopoly2,3,4, Monopoly Money, Ohio Senator are some of the recent all black direct sons/clones of Monopoly being used heavily.

gary89

Those are all very good bulls. The kicker is the stipulation of 85# bw. They are all potentially 100+  or could very well be 75-85#. The first year I used monopoly they were all 80-90# Next year I pulled everyone of them.  Biggest 140#. Most of the calves will have very manageable birthweight but the potential is there for some very big ones.

Warrior10

gary89 said:
Those are all very good bulls. The kicker is the stipulation of 85# bw. They are all potentially 100+  or could very well be 75-85#. The first year I used monopoly they were all 80-90# Next year I pulled everyone of them.  Biggest 140#. Most of the calves will have very manageable birthweight but the potential is there for some very big ones.
If they are serious about 85lb BW they will be hard pressed to find a clubby bull that produce solid calves with a consistent BW below 85lbs. Too many variables go on.

Mainevent

I am with Muddy Creek if the 85 pound BW makes or breaks a bull they are SOL going down the HW genetic strain. There is always potential for large calves but there is that same problem with any bull just manage the cows right and there won't be a problem

crystalcreek

I like M2O (Made to Order) if for no other reason than the cow power behind him.  His mother, the Bridwell's "Kelli" and a couple of sibs had phenomenal show careers.  Kelly just produced the Reserve Grand Steer at the 2014 Ohio State Fair.  She is a sister to the promo bull I Da Man.  Young and unproven, but the female line has so much to offer there.  I want to see what he'll do with our Char donor.

He's double clean, might be better on carrier females if you need hair.  All slick shows around here.

crystalcreek

M2O page from sire directory

Attachments

• 8-5-2014 9-07-23 AM.jpg
    8-5-2014 9-07-23 AM.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 8-5-2014 9-09-10 AM.jpg
    8-5-2014 9-09-10 AM.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 442

crystalcreek

the sibs

Attachments

• Kelli.jpg
    Kelli.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 309
  • 8-5-2014 9-25-39 AM.jpg
    8-5-2014 9-25-39 AM.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 8-5-2014 9-25-11 AM.jpg
    8-5-2014 9-25-11 AM.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 286

cowpoke

Monopoly has done a very good job and their are several sons that work or the clones.I have seen many good cowherds and the cows make the difference.Some wont like this but the herds with too much clubby breeding have good phenotype but lack milk and seem to have a % of throwaways and with baby calves bring $500/600+ it is hard to justify .The 85# B.W. is tough with H.W. and many others .We use to weigh calves and there are way more over than under and cows that are made right can easily have an 85#+calf.EPDs don't mean much and arent even thought about in the club calf world.Management,weather,and exercise,and genetics. all are a factor.Pelvis area also plays a factor.I don't go on listed.BW of a bulls as that is just a number.I have seen 60# and 130#calves out of same bull and cows that are similar breeding.Some fat steers at Tama brought $186 A hundred that weighed 1800# so the next time a judge thinks 1350# is to big for the industry and uses one that gains 2.5#a day you know he is not a cattle feeder.

sizzler14

I have no problem with M20. I think he will defintely have his place, problem is this breeder requested a BW stipulation, and I dont think providing a bull who has never had a calf as the answer!

Warrior10

Sizzler14 said:
I have no problem with M20. I think he will defintely have his place, problem is this breeder requested a BW stipulation, and I dont think providing a bull who has never had a calf as the answer!
Ya, that is actually part of the reason I didn't include M20 or Fu Man Chu in my original list. M20 hasn't had one born and I haven't seen enough Fu Man Chu's to suggest him.

Tallcool1

Sizzler14 said:

Agreed!

With birth weight being a deal breaker, don't use an unproven bull.

Warrior10

This may be relevant information for the OP when deciding a son to use. For those that have used Unstoppable has his BWs average about the same, higher or lower then most the other HW/Monopoly bulls we use?

Tallcool1

cowpoke said:
Monopoly has done a very good job and their are several sons that work or the clones.I have seen many good cowherds and the cows make the difference.Some wont like this but the herds with too much clubby breeding have good phenotype but lack milk and seem to have a % of throwaways and with baby calves bring $500/600+ it is hard to justify .The 85# B.W. is tough with H.W. and many others .We use to weigh calves and there are way more over than under and cows that are made right can easily have an 85#+calf.EPDs don't mean much and arent even thought about in the club calf world.Management,weather,and exercise,and genetics. all are a factor.Pelvis area also plays a factor.I don't go on listed.BW of a bulls as that is just a number.I have seen 60# and 130#calves out of same bull and cows that are similar breeding.Some fat steers at Tama brought $186 A hundred that weighed 1800# so the next time a judge thinks 1350# is to big for the industry and uses one that gains 2.5#a day you know he is not a cattle feeder.

Wow, great post. 

I couldn't agree more with you on the 1350# comment.  There is absolutely no reason that 1350# should be considered "too big"......but it is.

I understand the "throw away" comment very well.  So many of the club calf bulls go back to Heatwave and we all know that his trademark is inconsistency.  Heck, even Lautner will tell you that.  When they are good they are good and when they arent...well, they are bad.

I personally believe that if I had a group of "average type cows", I would be looking at the maternal side more than the show steer side.  I would take a really hard look at BOJO.  He is an Ali, and his mama is a Heatseeker.  There is no (direct) Heatwave in the pedigree, and he will put some hair and bone on them.  The females will be club calf makers that will milk and have some hair in their blood.  Plus, by the time they are ready to breed you will have tons of PROVEN double clean bulls to pick from.  You will probably get a few decent steers, but the ones that aren't show steer quality will have some frame and thickness.  They will be marketable as feeder cattle.

It is just maybe another angle. 

Warrior10

Tallcool1 said:
cowpoke said:

Wow, great post. 

I couldn't agree more with you on the 1350# comment.  There is absolutely no reason that 1350# should be considered "too big"......but it is.

I understand the "throw away" comment very well.  So many of the club calf bulls go back to Heatwave and we all know that his trademark is inconsistency.  Heck, even Lautner will tell you that.  When they are good they are good and when they arent...well, they are bad.

I personally believe that if I had a group of "average type cows", I would be looking at the maternal side more than the show steer side.  I would take a really hard look at BOJO.  He is an Ali, and his mama is a Heatseeker.  There is no (direct) Heatwave in the pedigree, and he will put some hair and bone on them.  The females will be club calf makers that will milk and have some hair in their blood.  Plus, by the time they are ready to breed you will have tons of PROVEN double clean bulls to pick from.  You will probably get a few decent steers, but the ones that aren't show steer quality will have some frame and thickness.  They will be marketable as feeder cattle.

It is just maybe another angle.
A great perspective about Bojo, and I couldn't agree more. I had an awesome Bojo x ChiAngus (Cow was 90% Angus) heifer that I regret not keeping to this day. The guy that ended up getting her off my auction was in love with her but said "she will go way out of my price range". Well terrible picture taking/no name led to him getting her at a great price.....shoulda kept her  <deadhorse>. Still have a few straws, might be something I use again next year. I know a few other people who love the Bojo females as well.