Monopoly daughters for making club calf cows?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SEA

Been seeing allot of Monopoly heifers, both open heifers and bred heifers for sale for breeding stock, not just "Market Show Heifers".

I've always thought of Monopoly pretty much as a terminal club calf sire, being a Heat Wave son and all, although I do realize his dam is a very good PB Angus cow (not sure how maternal, however she is).  I'm thinking of "keeping back" some Monopoly daughters myself and would appreciate your experiences.  Since the bull Monopoly has been  around for quite awhile, and has sired several generations of calves, my question(s) are...

1. Whom among you have Monopoly daughters in production?  How are there calves?
2. How do you like them or how does he work?  Do the cows flesh?...Do they milk?...How are their udders?...Will they breed back?...Are their pelvics of "sufficient size" for calving?
3. What type of dam(s) are your Monopoly daughters out of?  Or in other words, what type of cows does he "WORK" best on, for replacement females?

Thank you,

I am hoping this makes for a good post and positive conversation during our Holiday Season!

(clapping)      Merry Christmas!   &   Happy New Year!      (welcome)      Merry Christmas!   &  Happy New Year!      <beer>      Merry Christmas!    &      Happy New Year!      (thumbsup)      Merry Christmas!  &   Happy New Year!      <party>

frostback

I asked this last year and got very little response. I did however keep a couple Monopolys, they are bred now and I can help you in a few months. In our travels this year I talked to a few guys that had daughters in production and they said they were working well as cows. I did not see any of the cows, so take it for what its worth. Someone posted a couple photos of heifers maybe you could search and find them.

CAB

I have only got one & she just weaned off her first calf this fall by NI. She did a good job bringing in her calf, not the best & by far not the worst. Her calf was a heifer that was born a few days early & very small so she had some catching up to do right off the bat. I will say this, I do know that the Monopoly heifer is THF & PHAF which is actually what caused me to pose the question about THC and milking ability. I have tried HW direct daughters, Smooth Sailing daughters, & Carnac daughters. Out of all of these, I have one direct HW cow, 2 HW grand daughters, none left out of the Carnacs & the Smooth Sailings. I think that is why if you have been watching the online sales as well as the pasture bid-off sales, the HW's will look better & bring less than the clean maternal bred heifers. PPL just can't justify spending the money and have a reduced chance of those heifers being able to produce a good calf. Of coarse  PPL are flushing these great looking HW females & letting a sis carry the weight and there's not a thing wrong with that.

spb

Here is a picture of my monoply as a bred Heifer. She is raising a nice wagonmaster bull calf. She is a tank and a very easy keeper. I will be collecting embryos Monday out of my Polar Ice bull 1-800

Attachments

• monoply.png
    monoply.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,107

Angus n Club

From what I've seen out of average club cows there milk is minimal. Not sure about Monopoly's cows. I'm guessing that's why they flush so many and put them in a cow that can bring them on. Nothing wrong with that either. That's just IMO. That's the only thing that I don't like about club calf cattle. Yes they look good but maternally I haven't been impressed with milk production. I know this doesn't answer your question about Monopoly cows but that's just IMO on club cattle. CAB summed it up it too. I agree a lot with that.

ruhtram

A little off topic but do WMW cows milk well? He's got a decent amount of offspring in production.

SEA

CAB said:
I have only got one & she just weaned off her first calf this fall by NI. She did a good job bringing in her calf, not the best & by far not the worst. Her calf was a heifer that was born a few days early & very small so she had some catching up to do right off the bat. I will say this, I do know that the Monopoly heifer is THF & PHAF which is actually what caused me to pose the question about THC and milking ability. I have tried HW direct daughters, Smooth Sailing daughters, & Carnac daughters. Out of all of these, I have one direct HW cow, 2 HW grand daughters, none left out of the Carnacs & the Smooth Sailings. I think that is why if you have been watching the online sales as well as the pasture bid-off sales, the HW's will look better & bring less than the clean maternal bred heifers. PPL just can't justify spending the money and have a reduced chance of those heifers being able to produce a good calf. Of coarse  PPL are flushing these great looking HW females & letting a sis carry the weight and there's not a thing wrong with that.

CAB:  My train of thought on Monopoly's daughters making good Mama cows, (right or wrong, which is why I am asking other cattlemen's opinions in this post) is that he might work...

1. Monopoly's better than Heat Wave himself or most other Heat Wave sons due to Monopoly's dam.
2. If the cow you breed him to is "Maternal Enough" in her own right.
3. If the resulting heifer calf is not too "steery" looking,  too tight wound and not too extreme muscled.  In other words, after you breed your cow to Monopoly, she catches A.I., has a live calf, the calf is a heifer, then you must judge each individual calf based on her phenotype and cull/keep for a replacement female accordingly.

kfacres

speaking of monopoly... i found a picture of his grandpa in an old angus journal... and swear that during some point on here people were searching for that... is that something someone would want to see?

CAB

Cut the BS said:
speaking of monopoly... i found a picture of his grandpa in an old angus journal... and swear that during some point on here people were searching for that... is that something someone would want to see?
Why not? Please post it up. Thanks.

SEA

Cut the BS said:

To: Cut the BS

You bet!  Post it on here.

Which Grandpa?  Paternal Grandpa or Maternal Grandpa?  I thought his Paternal Grandpa was Heatseeker and his Maternal Grandpa was a PB Angus?

CAB

SEA said:
CAB said:

CAB:  My train of thought on Monopoly's daughters making good Mama cows, (right or wrong, which is why I am asking other cattlemen's opinions in this post) is that he might work...

1. Monopoly's better than Heat Wave himself or most other Heat Wave sons due to Monopoly's dam.
3. If the resulting heifer calf is not too "steery" looking,  too tight wound and not too extreme muscled.  In other words, after you breed your cow to Monopoly, she catches A.I., has a live calf, the calf is a heifer, then you must judge each individual calf based on her phenotype and cull/keep for a replacement female accordingly.
I agree with you Sea, & after the THC carrier & milking thread, I think that they all do need to stand on their own merits. In fact it got me to thinking about the few other THC that I have here & other than the HW bloodlines, some of the others that I have do milk well enough to be kept around. I have a THC (Habeger) Texas Hold'em x Dirty Hairy 2nd calf heifer that has the largest adjusted 205 day weight here this year. 2 Double Stuff double dirty 1st calf heifers that brought 2 good NI calves that were good.

SEA

CAB said:
SEA said:
CAB said:

I agree with you Sea, & after the THC carrier & milking thread, I think that they all do need to stand on their own merits. In fact it got me to thinking about the few other THC that I have here & other than the HW bloodlines, some of the others that I have do milk well enough to be kept around. I have a THC (Habeger) Texas Hold'em x Dirty Hairy 2nd calf heifer that has the largest adjusted 205 day weight here this year. 2 Double Stuff double dirty 1st calf heifers that brought 2 good NI calves that were good.
CAB,  This actual experience  of yours along with the other posts on here and on your post about milking ability of THC cows, supports my premise.  Thank You, 

I believe we shall flush one of our donor cows to Monopoly this winter, (that we were originally going to breed maternal), with the thought of keeping back some some resulting heifers (if all works out), back for replacements.  The positive to this mating is obvious...her resulting steer calves also, not "throw aways" or "feed lot", hopefully.

kfacres

SEA said:
Cut the BS said:

To: Cut the BS

You bet!  Post it on here.

Which Grandpa?  Paternal Grandpa or Maternal Grandpa?  I thought his Paternal Grandpa was Heatseeker and his Maternal Grandpa was a PB Angus?

Century Touchstone the Angus found in the 1996 Winter (Denver) edition of the Angus journal.  Plus many ofther great Angus sires of today's pedigrees... I REALLY like Stockman and Stockman 365's pictures...  They'll be back on my list!

kfacres

Cut the BS said:
century touchstone picture attached... have another one somewhere, can't find it as of right now.

Attachments

• centry touchstone stock 365.pdf
    611.1 KB · Views: 725

hntwhitetail

Here is another photo of touchstone. 

Attachments

• centurytouchstone-cutout-sm.gif
    centurytouchstone-cutout-sm.gif
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,325

YVKustomCattle

will monopoly be a good bull to breed to herfXangus ...... i heard he doesn't throw a lot of thickness and was wondering if this was right