Monopoly progeny carcass results?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mill Iron A

Odd question but with so many people having monopoly steers that they should know the kill data on, does anyone have a grasp on what he does? obviously there won't be any contemporary groups and I know most people don't care... just curious

librarian

I'm just guessing, but it seems like any animal that got the amount of grain the show animals seem to get should cut well, except maybe for being too fat? Is it accurate to think that if you feed something way more than enough for long enough it will grade well, or do some just layer on back fat and never marble?

PDJ

librarian said:
I'm just guessing, but it seems like any animal that got the amount of grain the show animals seem to get should cut well, except maybe for being too fat? Is it accurate to think that if you feed something way more than enough for long enough it will grade well, or do some just layer on back fat and never marble?
In theory this is true Librarian, but there are a lot of times where show steers are shrunk to make a show weight.  This can have a drastic result on quality grade. I remember a Who Made Who steer at our county fair that had 7/10th inch back fat and went select.

RankeCattleCo

I had a Monopoly x HooDoo steer.  He was 1340 show weight 1425 full at state fair time in mid August and when he went in Sept 1 he was 1350 after 2 weeks of pasture and a little corn silage/corn just to keep him happy.  I don't know what he graded or how he marbled but he had a pretty good amount of back fat and had adequate fat everywhere else.  When we get him back from butcher I'll let you know for sure but both myself and the manager of the locker who saw him when I dropped him off thought that he'd hang very well.  Being that he's 1/2 Char and 1/4 Angus I think that he'll hang like any other feedlot steer.