Monopoly

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ric

So I have heard that Monopoly only works on freakier cows that are more wound up and I have also heard others say they think he works on many different types of cows. I was wondering what everyone thought he worked best on. Also what kind of cow does it take to have a stout monopoly calf? Have many of you like the Monopoly calves so far in the last couple years?

Dusty

I've only seen a few in person.... Never used him.  But, I think i'm gonna look into getting some semen.  I was out looking at some calves this weekend and saw a real nice monoploly steer.  His mom was as slick haired as one could be and the calf was haired up pretty good.  He wasn't freaky stout, but he didn't have a hole in him.  Sound and big footed.  Last i heard he was at 4k in the bidoff.  I saw another one at the same place that was a nice, thick middled fancy looking heifer.  She wasn't the biggest boned, but she was good haired and just had the look to her.  I almost think she could go breeding heifer and be pretty competitive.

I think a guy wants to use monopoly on the fancier stouter full flush type cows.  I think he will soften them up and put some guts in them, but I don't think he will make a stout one out of common cow.  I wouldn't breed him to something real angusy...

kanacki00

I have had a few and have seen a few more.  I will give the bull points for consistency and completeness.  He typed the calves real well on Charolais, Maines and Shorthorns.  My experience is you can use him and get a high percentage of marketable calves.  I will even go so far to say you might get zero throwaways.  Now, For the calf to be exceptional, you would want to breed to a really stout cow that is a little bigger.  He will do the rest.  I would agree with the above comments, stay away from angus.  Find yourself Maine x Simmy cow with obnoxious power and frame and the calf will be worth waiting for in the spring.  I can send some pics of last years and this years mono's if you like. 

lowann

Ric said:
So I have heard that Monopoly only works on freakier cows that are more wound up and I have also heard others say they think he works on many different types of cows. I was wondering what everyone thought he worked best on. Also what kind of cow does it take to have a stout monopoly calf? Have many of you like the Monopoly calves so far in the last couple years?
Our best calves this year are out of Monopoly. Two out of Ben Kelly cows, the other out of a Bill Pitz cow. Thick, sound. hairy, and all of them have super temperaments. They look like big Newfoundlands walking around the pasture.
The good thing is they have solid body under all that hair.

TMJ Show Cattle

The only thing that I might disagree with,just a little bit is,I have seen good monopoly's out of some plain jane cows that had flatter type muscle and not a whole lot of depth. They all sold for 1500.00 and up and that will work for anyone.