month old calf problem

Help Support Steer Planet:

RCF Farms

Have a calf born 3/8/2013, pretty much since the beginning he has been breathing rapidly. Just wondering you thoughts on treatment. Noticed when about a week or two old his lungs moving in and out in a little different. Now it is more obvious that he is struggling. Gave him 2cc of Baytril Monday, just don't know how or what a calf that young can handle. Thinking of giving 5cc micotil

cowman 52

Try a dose of dexamethosone, guessing he weighs 130  maybe?  2or 3 cc, see if he moves more air in 30 min of so. Lungs may be under developed or under working. It will give you and idea of where to go,  I am guesing no temp??  We had some problems similar in past , do the baytril, a touch of ban amine if fevered.

loveRedcows

We've never had any luck with Micotil.  Long time ago our vet advised us to give Baytril (single dose) along with 2cc of Dex & 1 cc of Banamine - has saved quite a few calves for us.

J

JTM

That definitely concerns me. First things first, I would contact your vet and ask them about it and what drug they recommend and what dosage. Did the calf nurse right away or did you see it nurse within the first 10 hours? I would make sure the calf gets some Probios paste, vitamin shot/selenium, and I'm not a fan of baytril. I like using Excenel but you need to use it three days in a row. Also, you might try giving the calf some electrolytes. I've had a couple of calves get like that and never get better. It's like BRD sets in and it's too late to get them back. It's turns into a chronic problem and the calf doesn't gain properly and is always sick. I would do whatever you can now and not wait. Good luck to you.

ejoe326

I would check with the vet too.

2-3 ccs of Dex is a lot higher than what our vet has us give baby calves.

We're using NuFlor and good old pen on respiratory and dex if necessary.  Baytril has some growth plate issues so our vets aren't recommending using it much on the calves.

We use Exceed before Excenel because of the multiple days of shots and use Exceed instead. 

lightnin4

We have good luck combining a three day dose of Baytril with a dose of Long-acting penicillin for respiratory problems.  One thing you don't want to do is underdose.  You won't do any good for the problem but you may cause some resistence to the drug.  Always, when in doubt, consult your vet.

RCF Farms

Calf nursed right away, and was running around in pen. Kept in a week then let out. Gave him his second shot of Baytril 2cc yesterday, and will give him one tonight, but I think I will call a vet. Just not real confident in the vet's we have around here, may ask around about who some of my friends use. Really appreciate the suggestions, it all helps you know, Thanks

J

JTM

We have had a lot of success using Nuflor. I just couldn't remember the name before. The nice thing about getting a relationship with a vet going is that you can just call them and ask them over the phone and they could tell you with no charge. At least that is what my vet does for me. Good luck, hope the calf recovers quickly for you.

Clubcalf321

3cc Nuflor and 2cc banamine per hundred. Has worked great for me even in 100 plus heat.

ejoe326

I would highly recommend you talk to a vet you trust about the multiple doses of Baytril on young calves and the growth plate issues.  Our vets are outstanding and I was not aware of it until they were here the last time.