More on Colorado State Fair's experiment with Premises ID

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

Here is an interesting editorial out of Beef Magazine:

http://beefmagazine.com/cowcalfweekly/state-fair-fiasco/

Seems to me they would have saved themselves a lot of problems if the staff would have verified the ID's when the entry forms came in!!!!

Can you believe someone gave their license plate number?  Wow!

knabe

Seems to me they would have saved themselves a lot of problems if the staff would have verified the ID's when the entry forms came in!!!!

THAT is a great solution.  you know people are going to protest this (me), and to save a headache later with i think the two who got disqualified, that is a great idea.  the comments about the bedding are probably related to ease of disposal and one kind makes it easy.  one could say, for those who want a different kind, you take care of all the waste, and since probably they got a good deal buying in bulk, even with some left over for next year or sold to exhibitors on way out for cost, it's probalby a win/win, and leaves you more room to carry other stuff.  great idea as well.  can't believe i didn't get all huffy about that.  those chill pills sure are working, where's robert redford, i need to buy him a beer and a pair of wranglers with a harness stitch belt and roping buckle from the 50's.  dude probably has a stronger handshake than me, jerk. ;D

Show Dad

OK I have done bit my tongue so hard it's bleeding :p.

What a mess. You have  Extension agents, a State Fair board, State 4H beef PAT team and a healthy helping of bureaucrats that are trying to implement a new rule that some parents don't like. It's a recipe for disaster. It's hard enough to get a correct answer on an old well established rule let alone a new one. They, the Colorado State Fair, should have seen it coming. They didn't and made the second mistake of rewarding bad behavior. Oh well, what do you expect for government work.

Now with that said, whose money was used to make this right? The taxpayers of Colorado or some sponsor? If it was the taxpayer someone should loose their job (but they won't. probably get promoted :mad:).

Stepping off the soapbox (clapping).

DL

I think I mentioned this before but I was involved if the first junior show after mandatory RFID went into effect in MI - this of course required a premise ID (to get the tags) - we started and educational campaign more than ONE YEAR before the requirement - this coupled with educational efforts on the part of Kevin Kirk's RFID advisory group resulted in 100% of Michigan juniors having RFID tags in their calves - YUP, every single kid. It can be done but there has to be an intense educational/informational campaign..Colorado could take a lesson from us, even if we are a "noncattle" state  ;D ;D ;D.

afhm

I wonder if violating this rule falls under the state law CO passed after the Clenbuterol scandal at Denver a few years ago making it a felony with jail time for tampering/violating rules with show animals?  I'm not sure of all the details on the law but I know it was quite stern.

Latest posts