mossy oak?

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

what kind of cows do doctor who, mossy oak, and life line's heifers make. also how well do show steers do that are out of Castlerock, Jake's Lenox Leader 218L, Heat Seeker. any problems with sturctural issues. and how do well do they grow? thanks a bunch

cowz

We have raised and have seen some pretty good Mossy Oak heifers.....but I would suggest breeding them to an outcross...angus or simmy since MO is a carrier.  Dr. Who can really add some length of body.  I have not been super impressed by any of the life lines I have seen, but they were all out of commercial cows...and I am way too picky sometimes!!

pigguy

yea i dont really like the lifline heifer. i like her markings but she is pretty much crap, but i figured if she was a good milk producer i could get her and do ET's with her. but the doctor whos are really long and the mossy oak is pretty snazzy

OH Breeder

We have a Mossy Oak x Stony Chi Angus. SHe is smaller framed. She didnt milk the best first go around. NIce udder had a 65# northern improvement calf unassisted. She is long bodied and shaggy. So far so good on her calf. He is an eater and growing like a weed.
I just sold a Dr. Who x Partisover 550- NUT BALL. He had a serious screw loose. His genetics should have been out of this world. But he was the worse calf I had this year.

Heatseekers- if they are not tempermental they usually do pretty good. They usually are smaller framed, whats on the cow side of the heat seeker steer.

justme

We've had 8 Mossy Oak calves and all 8 went to the sale barn.  They were SO short.  Really thick but they were way to small for me.  Most were out of really big angus but a few were out of "never miss" cows.  There are plenty of non carriers that will do a good job so I'm done with him.  BUT, that's just with our herd.

RSC

justme said:
We've had 8 Mossy Oak calves and all 8 went to the sale barn.  They were SO short.  Really thick but they were way to small for me.  Most were out of really big angus but a few were out of "never miss" cows.  There are plenty of non carriers that will do a good job so I'm done with him.  BUT, that's just with our herd.

Attatched is a picture of a Lifeline Heifer that some cattle partners of mine are showing this year.  She could  maybe be a little longer fronted but other than that she looks to have the potential to be a real good cow down the road.

Her Dam is a PB Angus-Fullback.

RSC

Attachments

• Taylor & Karie WEB.jpg
    Taylor & Karie WEB.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 868

Joe Boy

My experience with Lifeline is that his calves will go to the feeder and eat when others are laying in the shade.  They have great dispositions but are smaller than my average Maine's.  They have great shape and hair.  He like his sire, throws red calves often.  I have Senior Roho that we just weaned and he will fool you on his weight.  He has a smaller frame but weighs with some of the larger bull calves.  He could be a pet, as he follows me around when I feed him.

The heifer in the photo looks good and I hope she does real well.  I would like a little more extension in her neck to show a little more femininity, but that is me. 

We had so real nice MO steers that went the show route out of brangus cows.  My brother kept one heifer and had her tested.  They were good but we liked the Paddy O"Malley and Lifeline steers better out of the brangus cows. 

Best wishes in what you decide.

cowz

RSC said:
justme said:

Attatched is a picture of a Lifeline Heifer that some cattle partners of mine are showing this year.  She could  maybe be a little longer fronted but other than that she looks to have the potential to be a real good cow down the road.

Her Dam is a PB Angus-Fullback.

RSC

That IS the deepest, biggest volumed, life line heifer I have ever seen.  Looks like a good one for the young lady!

pigguy

ok the heat seeker steer's dam is an angus maine.
the doctor who heifers are out of heat wave, and direct hit
the mossy oak heifer is out of a shorthorn angus and can be registered as a chi
the lifline heifers is out of duoble down

pigguy

and another doctor who calf heifer that goes to a playmate.. all are registered as chi or maintainer. i  think? how do those bloodlines sound to you guys.

EONF

This is my Dr.Who/Angus heifer. She's a January '07, has never seen the inside of a "cooler", and possesses one of the best temperaments I've seen in a show heifer. This photo was taken in late December and she weighed 897. In late March she pushed the scales to 1181, but never developed that "over-finished" appearance.

Attachments

• tmpphpGNhIHx.jpg
    tmpphpGNhIHx.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 317

RSC

OH Breeder said:
Great Picture of the Doctor Who heifer. Looks like she is soft made with lots of body.

Here is another picture of the Lifeline/Angus heifer that I just recieved!
Not set up, Just outside the ring Hanging Out!

RSC

Attachments

• Taylor & Karie outside Ring.JPG
    Taylor & Karie outside Ring.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 660