Motown vs Mo Better

Help Support Steer Planet:

djbsimmy

Looking for more info on these black white faced simmental bulls.  They are full brothers but in my opinion Motown has the better EPD profile, although it seems like Mo Better is more popular.  Im wondering about calving ease, how well calves grow and what kind of cow they work best on?  Also does anyone know Motown's frame score?

firesweepranch

We really like the Mo Better calves, never had a Mo Town. We had an AWESOME Mo Better 3/4 bull last fall that won a ton. His dam is a Macho x Draft Pick/Angus cow. We liked him so much we are breeding her this weekend for a flush next weekend, and this is the first cow we have flushed. He added hair, muscle and major rib to the cow. I know his EPD's are not the best, and often wonder why. I know several places that have his females in production and they have plenty of milk and make great dams. His heifer sexed semen is only $35 from Genex.
Here is a pic of him at 9 months old at State Fair. He won bred and owned bull and grand percentage bull.

Attachments

• mo small.jpg
    mo small.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 418

leanbeef

I've never seen many--maybe ANY--Motowns, but we've had a few Mo Betters. Their upside is that they're pretty rugged made...plenty of bone, lots of depth, and fairly thick. To be critical, some of them can get big framed, they can have a lot of front end, and they can be kinda shaggy...not like a show steer...more like a yak. The ones we've had have also been very quiet in terms of disposition. I think he works better on Angus cows to make SimAngus than he does on purebreds, and from what I've seen, the daughters are pretty average on milk...maybe a little below average. They do have small teats and pretty udders, though.

What I've heard about Motown is that he's not as sound as Mo Better. I can't help thinking if he was a great one, he'd have been more popular than he was.

SSIMMENTALS

We've had limited experience with Mo Better. For us, he puts a ton of rib shape, growth, and cow power into one. Very attractive leg set, yet still functional. big feet, good toes. Adds hip, ok hair. Good tail head set. Adds frame. Compared to Momentum on the same 6.0 cow, his calf is 6.5+, the Momentum was 5.8. Use him on a good fronted, pretty cow and he will do the rest. Our experience with him is on a too straight, long bodied, high tailhead, average depth, 6 frame, very good fronted cow. He did what he was supposed to do.