Mr.Suh.... THANK YOU

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

Just thought I would give an exceptional man his due.  Mr. Suh (I apologize, I can not spell his first name!) was just the second pick in the NFL draft pick. He was a football player from Nebraska. Even BEFORE the draft, this young man, donated $2 million dollars to Univ of Neb, and ANOTHER $600,000 to the Engineering Dept for a scholarship.  This is the biggest donation from a former student ever at the Univ.
What really made me smile was when Mr.Suh said "It is my pleasure to donate back to the University who gave me so much. I look forward to the day that this record is broken. Hopefully soon."
His mother is a teacher. His father is an engineer. He said his Mother allowed him to play football only after he proved he could carry a 3.0 GPA or higher.

Congrats to the Suh family for raising such an exceptional young man!

simtal

As a student at UNL, I think thats classy.  UNL has been doing well as of late, owner of cactus feeders donated 20 million a couple of week ago

jason

aj said:
Has he even agreed on a contract yet?

No, not even Bradford is signed, which is rare because they usually like to lock up the first pick.  However these guys can get advances, even if it takes to training camp or later to get signed.

Jill

That is really neat, these guys don't make it to where they are without a lot of outside help, just not many of them realize it. 

RSC

The scholorship will be off of interest on the 600k and will be there for years.  1st priority of the scholarship will go to a Portland HS student that chooses to go to UNL.

He hasn't signed yet but I'd love to know the endorsements he has already wrapped up. Not many athletes wear a Nike suit to the draft.

Tony

aj

Ah thats nothing......Snyder has just signed a Hanes underwear contract. Commercials out in three weeks. Sooooo there! ;D

The Show

How did he come up with 2.6 million dollars and all he has done is play college football???

Show Heifer

I used to, and still do, agree with you The Show. I mean, really, a bunch of men PLAYING a game??? and making huge money doing it? Come on.... but.....

After some thought I have come to these conclusions:  1. Some of these men, really honestly can not do anything else. So at least they are not on welfare.
                                                                                          2. I have known several big time college players and two pro players. Every one of them can hardly stand straight up, walk without pain, and have had various body parts replaced by the  age of 35. Not sure if the money is worth a life of pain.
                                                                                          3. Many college teams MAKE the college HUGE money. Selling out huge 100,000 seat stadiums, concessions, hotels, etc. etc. Much of this money is split between the athletic department and the general fund.
                                                                                          4. How many NEW graduating engineers from Univ. of Neb (or any other college) have donated 2.6 million BEFORE they signed a contract? 

So, although I hate the fact that many "game players" are making way too much money, I guess there are always an up side/ down side.

RSC

The Show said:
How did he come up with 2.6 million dollars and all he has done is play college football???
I agree it's not completely right that he is making all this money, However when the oppurtunity is there someone is going to grab it.  In this case it happens to be a Good goy so Good Deal, IMO.

Tony

cdncowboy

The Show said:

Think if I walked into a bank and introduced myself as the top defensive college football player in the country, just a few days before the draft, then told them I will be drafted between 1 and 3 into the NFL.  Showed them the GUARANTEED money that last years 1-3 picks received(no 1 got 48 million) and I will get that plus 10-15% they'd probably give me the 2mil pretty quickly.

You don't have to like the money these players receive, I don't and I'm a huge football fan, but until people refuse to pay the ticket prices, buy the merchandise, etc. it just ain't gonna change. 

farwest

aj said:
Ah thats nothing......Snyder has just signed a Hanes underwear contract. Commercials out in three weeks. Sooooo there! ;D
Not hanes, I think it was depends (clapping)  About donating the money before a contract signed.  I find it hard to believe the university won't wait patiently on that kind of a donation, regardless of timeframe.  can't see the big deal.  A great kid with a great gesture.

jalebe

I don't think that he actually gave them the money yet, just pledged it. Anyway we'll sure love watching him play for the Lions.

aj

I think Suh is a dead ringer for Lee |Roy Selmon. Selmon born in 1954. He WAS the top player in the draft. Known as a gentle giant. I think Lee Roy was the early fastest big man to play. Tampa Bay was a poor team yet Selmon made it to 6 straight pro bowls. Pro Football hall of fame.

ZNT

I think Suh has now proven that he is a class act all the way around.  He is a very talented athlete, a dedicated student (instilled by his mother requiring him to have a 3.0 in high school, or he couldn't play sports), and now proven how generous and appreciative he is.  Suh sees that there were lots of people in his life and at the university that help him get to where he is today.

Suh has set the bar high, and I hope that his generosity spills over to more of these big dollar draft picks in all sports.

Who should have won the Hiesman now!?!

chambero

I go pheasant hunting with some guys in SW Nebraska that have close ties to the Nebraska football program.  I was up the week after the Nebraska-Texas game last fall.  They started telling me about how they have a bunch of the football boys from the university out for a hunt during Christmas break every year.  I started teasing them about how did that work out with Lawrence Phillips back in the day.  They indicated they were able to be a little selective on who got to come.  But Suh had been there every year and they had nothing but the highest praise for him, and told me that he had actually just graduated the week before with a Construction Engineering degree (or whatever name Nebraska uses for that degree).  Definitely not basket-weaving, and definitely a hard degree for a "normal" student, let alone one that has the time demands placed on him that big time football does.

I will be watching him with special interest.  Easy to root for those kind of kids.

The Show

cdncowboy said:
The Show said:

Think if I walked into a bank and introduced myself as the top defensive college football player in the country, just a few days before the draft, then told them I will be drafted between 1 and 3 into the NFL.  Showed them the GUARANTEED money that last years 1-3 picks received(no 1 got 48 million) and I will get that plus 10-15% they'd probably give me the 2mil pretty quickly.

You don't have to like the money these players receive, I don't and I'm a huge football fan, but until people refuse to pay the ticket prices, buy the merchandise, etc. it just ain't gonna change. 
I think that kind of came across the wrong way. I don't mind the money that people make playing football, and I'm also a huge football fan. But in college ball the players aren't supposed to get any "compensation" although all the teams do it and a few have got caught. I just figured it would throw a red flag somewhere if some guy just out of college that hasn't signed a contract gives 2.6 million to a university. Because the question that comes up is where did he get all that money??? With that being said though, what jalebe said makes sense. There's a difference between pledge and donate.

RSC

chambero said:
I go pheasant hunting with some guys in SW Nebraska that have close ties to the Nebraska football program.  I was up the week after the Nebraska-Texas game last fall.  They started telling me about how they have a bunch of the football boys from the university out for a hunt during Christmas break every year.  I started teasing them about how did that work out with Lawrence Phillips back in the day.  They indicated they were able to be a little selective on who got to come.  But Suh had been there every year and they had nothing but the highest praise for him, and told me that he had actually just graduated the week before with a Construction Engineering degree (or whatever name Nebraska uses for that degree).  Definitely not basket-weaving, and definitely a hard degree for a "normal" student, let alone one that has the time demands placed on him that big time football does.

I will be watching him with special interest.  Easy to root for those kind of kids.
Your right Chambero, it's easy to root for a person like Suh.  Not many Athletes portray the kind of values that Suh does.  I only home my boys respect their oppurtuinities in life lik Ndamukong does.  This is the kind of roll model kids need.

The link below is a good article that sheds a little more into his background and what drives him.  I love the quote by his father, "America provides opportunities to those who seek them. "

LINK: http://www.omaha.com/article/20090904/BIGRED/709049803

Tony

aj

The reason Professional football players get paid like they do is because there is only a handfull of people can do what they do. Its not right or wrong it's Capitalism.jmo