Muck Boot fund raises for HSUS

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dozer45

gary89

Wow...talk about stepping in it.  The executive who made this decision needs a pair because they're up to it knee deep. Love the comments section,  the whole customer base is alienated by this move.  Thanks for sharing.

hardenblu2

Please don't be offended, this is one mans opinion. I just bought a pair of mucks for my son, and had intended to get a pair for myself before deer season. However if hsus is the united states humane society, then I have bought my last pair of mucks and you are right we need to spread the word because most cattle and hog producers will probably make a differant choice also. My problem with them isn't there attempt to save the abused animals in our country, I am on board with that. my problem is when, in the adds that they have on T V  they show us beautiful puppies and kittens and then abused puppies and kittens. but with a large portion of the money that they receive they go to washington and lobby for law changes that negatively effect livestock producers. Any of you on this site that are vegetarians go muck. LOL. I'm sorry to anyone that was offended by the last sentense, I couldn't resist, this being a cattle site.  If you dint agree that's your God given right, do your research and prove me wrong.                   

Dozer45

Hardenblu2- Its almost as if their marketing guy saw one of their sappy commercials and was like " lets throw all our money into helping poor kitties and puppies!!!" and so they did without any basic research what so ever

cowboy_nyk

FYI Muck Boot has posted a reply/retraction of sorts:

We would like to respond to our loyal customers and provide additional information about recent posts on social media regarding a monetary donation to a local animal care organization. Our post inaccurately stated that a donation was made to The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). Moreover, the post itself was inappropriate under the circumstances.

Family members of an employee who recently passed away requested that, in lieu of flowers, co-workers donate funds to the Humane Association of Northwestern Rhode Island, a local association founded in 1978 to solve community issues primarily related to stray cats. They are not affiliated with HSUS as the posts incorrectly stated.

The money is not a corporate donation, but a collection of personal contributions from employees with the intent of remembering a beloved co-worker. While our intentions were good, the use of corporate social channels under these circumstances was inappropriate.

Muck Boots has a heritage of respect for the outdoors and for nature. We apologize for the anger and confusion the posts have caused and have removed them from our social channels.

DiamondMCattle

There was a number of people who contacted The Humane Association of Northwestern Rhode Island and they claim there was no record of that transaction

FriedgesCharolais

I figured xbar would have this kind of opinion on something like this. It doesn't matter if they make the best boots there are some out there that are comparable and the company does not bite the hand that feeds them. I'm sure every farmer rancher has had a pair of mucks at one point or another and I have a pair in my basement. I will say this tho, they will not be receiving my business when this pair wears out! If they aren't going to support my way of life, they do not need my business and I encourage everyone else on this site to do the same!

Doc

-XBAR- said:
Doc said:
-XBAR- said:
but do they make good boots?

Absolute the best. But if it's true then I won't be buying any more of them. 

If that's how you really feel, then the disservice is only to yourself.  Well played.

I knew where you were probably heading with that question. But here is the thing. I did without them until about 4 or 5 years ago when I bought my 1st pair. I would rather do without them again , than to buy from a company that supports an organization that is against everything that it is against. Some of us have beliefs and are willing to stand behind them , no matter our personal cost.

RyanChandler

Here's the HSUS's statement-- what is it that you so oppose that you would refuse to do business over?

Statement on Farm Animals and Eating with Conscience

"The HSUS is deeply concerned about the ways in which farm animals are treated in modern agricultural systems. The total sum of suffering of these animals greatly exceeds that of any other category of domestic animals. The vast majority of meat, eggs, and dairy products sold in American grocery chains and restaurants comes from animals raised in intensive-confinement systems (so-called factory farms) that do not provide for many of the animals' most basic behavioral needs and that impose significant stress on the animals in pursuit of efficiency. The result is that living creatures are being treated as biological "machines."

The HSUS is also concerned about commercial fishing and fish production practices. The proliferation of massive fish farms raises basic questions about their welfare. And commercial fishing practices continue to deplete many fish populations in dramatic ways and result in the by-catch of extraordinary numbers of non-target animals, including marine mammals, birds, and other fish.

Accordingly, The HSUS pursues the reduction of animal suffering in the raising, housing, care, transportation, and slaughter of animals raised or caught for food. Furthermore, we seek to ensure that animal production systems are humane, sustainable, and environmentally sensitive. The HSUS supports those farmers and ranchers who give proper care to their animals, act in accordance with the basic ethic of compassion to sentient creatures under their control, and practice and promote humane and environmentally sustainable agriculture.

Furthermore, the use of plant crops to support the rearing of food animals and the use of fish meal in the intensive "farming" of carnivorous fish, and the subsequent inefficient conversion of plant protein to animal protein, are wasteful uses of limited resources. Research has also indicated that eating excessive quantities of meat, eggs, and dairy can be detrimental to human health.

Considering the foregoing abuses of animals, degradation of the environment, and detriment to human health, The HSUS promotes eating with conscience and embracing the Three Rs—reducing the consumption of meat and other animal-based foods; refining the diet by eating products only from animals who have been raised, transported, and slaughtered in a system of humane, sustainable agriculture that does not abuse the animals; and replacing meat and other animal-based foods in the diet with plant-based foods."

knabe

Hsus is basically a religion/cult that fools old people to give them money supposedly for a good cause.

Many local shelters are ok, with annoying adoption rules, but many older people support them and when they die, they ask to send money there and the children who post it are merely following their wishes.

The national organization is the evil organization who should lose their non-profit status and have their puppy and kitten oven taken away.

The national organization is of questionable repute. They have absolutely NO credibility when it comes to commenting on animal welfare and if you were to delve deeper into their other leanings, you can bet they have no tolerance for any restrictions on unborn human termination. Just like a good Margaret Sanger progressive they are.

hardenblu2

I cant agree more, Doc, Hidden Creek, Dozer, Knabe, I think its the best boot on the market right now. However how can you buy anything knowing that a portion of that money that most of us have to work for will be used against us. Xbar I don't mean to offend you but you have to know that they have attorneys that use proper wording that can have differant meanings as to manipulate the intended understanding of any propaganda to benefit there cause. Much like the government. I do hope this was a mistake. This is a great site and I for one appreciate the differant opinions, however we have to stand together some times. Thanks again Dozer for bringing this to our attention.

FriedgesCharolais

This was posted on the I Am Agriculture Blog from the director of footwear at Muck:

"Thanks for your post Ryan. Needless to say, yesterday was not a good day for us and certainly not our social media team. We made a mistake — ok several — and for that we’re really, really sorry.
Truth be told, here’s what happened…we suffered the loss of a colleague from cancer. As you can surely understand, that’s never easy. Employees got together, and, based on his family’s wishes, decided to contribute funds to our local humane society in lieu of flowers. We know that’s what he would have wanted. Honestly, here in Smithfield, Rhode Island, we were thinking of “rescue” puppies and kittens and never a broader agenda. It was not the intent to capitalize on a contribution or a death, but rather, we wanted to share the good will embraced by our employees with our community. We do realize that posting content on this on our branded Muck channels was a major mistake, one we won’t make again. We’re sickened by the fact that wearers of Muck feel as is we’ve let them down. It was never our intention"

Its nice to know that they know who their customers are, and also know how big of a deal this would be if they were to give to a criminal organization like HSUS.

Obviously some of the people on this page need to do a little more research on who the true HSUS is! It is not your local animal shelter, although they would like to you think by donating to them it helps the local shelters out, but in fact it is far from the truth!

creativecattle

knabe - although it is not a removal of their charity status Charity Navigator recently removed HSUS charity rating and replaced it with a Donor Advisory warning - http://www.awesomeocean.com/2014/07/31/breaking-hsus-loses-charity-rating/

I think Muck Boots still has a lot of explaining to do. Especially since the local charity they said they were supporting still hasn't received the donation. Whoever runs this company's social media has cost this company thousands of dollars regardless of what the real story is.

RyanChandler

There's as much propaganda against them as there is for them.  That you can be sure of.  I don't support their entire platform but I acknowledge that a world of good has come from many of their initiatives.  That's what extremist groups are good for: granted they do generally blow issues out of proportion, but most importantly, they bring attention to issues that would otherwise just be swept under the rug. Everyday people realize the truth lies somewhere in the middle and, unfortunately, there's so many people out there willing to engage in despicable production practices that it takes the over-accentuation from a group like HSUS, for the people to wake up and move their position on animal welfare back towards the center. 

"Accordingly, The HSUS pursues the reduction of animal suffering in the raising, housing, care, transportation, and slaughter of animals raised or caught for food. Furthermore, we seek to ensure that animal production systems are humane, sustainable, and environmentally sensitive. The HSUS supports those farmers and ranchers who give proper care to their animals, act in accordance with the basic ethic of compassion to sentient creatures under their control, and practice and promote humane and environmentally sustainable agriculture"

I'm genuinely curious, what is it about their position that you so adamantly oppose?

cowboy_nyk

-XBAR- said:
There's as much propaganda against them as there is for them.  That you can be sure of.  I don't support their entire platform but I acknowledge that a world of good has come from many of their initiatives.  That's what extremist groups are good for: granted they do generally blow issues out of proportion, but most importantly, they bring attention to issues that would otherwise just be swept under the rug. Everyday people realize the truth lies somewhere in the middle and, unfortunately, there's so many people out there willing to engage in despicable production practices that it takes the over-accentuation from a group like HSUS, for the people to wake up and move their position on animal welfare back towards the center. 

"Accordingly, The HSUS pursues the reduction of animal suffering in the raising, housing, care, transportation, and slaughter of animals raised or caught for food. Furthermore, we seek to ensure that animal production systems are humane, sustainable, and environmentally sensitive. The HSUS supports those farmers and ranchers who give proper care to their animals, act in accordance with the basic ethic of compassion to sentient creatures under their control, and practice and promote humane and environmentally sustainable agriculture"

I'm genuinely curious, what is it about their position that you so adamantly oppose?

Here's the part of their agenda I dislike (other than the obviously extreme approach they take in real life):

"Considering the foregoing abuses of animals, degradation of the environment, and detriment to human health, The HSUS promotes eating with conscience and embracing the Three Rs—reducing the consumption of meat and other animal-based foods; refining the diet by eating products only from animals who have been raised, transported, and slaughtered in a system of humane, sustainable agriculture that does not abuse the animals; and replacing meat and other animal-based foods in the diet with plant-based foods."