MUD MUD AND MORE MUD!!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

:mad: OK its only March 9 and this mud has gotten rediculous!!!  There's no such thing as a quick calf check these day in NW MO.  We got over 2" rain this weekend after 6" of snow melted. 

OK...I vented, I feel better, thanks for listening! (thumbsup)

angusbreed

yeah, we did too.  Poured for 15 min and must have put down atleast a inch, sounded like hail it was so hard.  Flooded my driveway out and I need to dig a new drainage ditch and more gravel

LN

I'll trade with you, how about 18 months of worst drought on record?

angusbreed

LN said:
I trade with you, how about 18 months of worst drought on record?

that is terrible, I will take plenty of rain over the effects of a drought on livestock and crops

justintime

Well, I am dreaming about mud! We will get mud eventually but the way this winter is going it could be July before we even experience it. This has been the most nasty winters we have had in decades. Today it is -39 with the wind chill. Tomorrow is supposed to be the same. It is beyond stupid!!! Where is our bud Al Gore when we need him? I would love to have him here experiencing our " global warming." In the past twenty or so years, our creek has run between March 13th and March 18th. It is going to take a real " act of God" ... or " a real act of Gore"eto have running water between those dates this year!

We have had more snow in an occasional late spring storm, but it comes and melts in a few days. This winter we have been buried since early January. I used to like winter.. I am ready for green grass any time!  There I have also vented... but somehow I don't feel much better, as I have to go out again and check cows. A baby calf wouldn't last long out in this ( at least it's ears wouldn't). I had 4 last night... all in the shed. Twenty two that I thought " Might " calve, in the barn, and not one of them calved. Four that I thought were a few days away from calving, decided it was time.

I got three hours sleep last night ( split into three brief naps!) Sounds like tonight will be another marathon. I love cows and this business but I find myself dreaming about life after cows ( if it exists, I am not sure). I will probably own cows until they plant my remains, but right now I am dreaming of someone else doing the work, and me just showing up show day to stand in the pictures. I must be getting old!!   I better get back to the trenches..........

klintdog

We're in the same mess down here JIT. Last week we actually hit the 30's so we had some melting happen, which was great, except the ground is still froze so we had standing water and mud all over the place. Then last night the temp took a nose dive and all that water froze up, so now we basically have a giant ice skating rink all over. So on top of worrying about cows calving and freezing calves, I now have to worry about cows slipping on this junk and aborting. Right now we're at -22 with wind and are supposed to catch another 12 inches of snow over the next 24 hours. After last year's drought, I'm grateful for the moisture, but I can't help but asking when this crap is going to come to an end.

Spring has to show up by April 10th. I counted bales last night and that's the day we're going to run out of hay. Straw may be another story. I have 10 bales left at my place and I think dad has another 40, so as long as the snow cooperates and we don't have to bed down twice a day like we have the past 2 weeks, we may be OK.

SWMO

We would take rain down here in southern Missouri.  Very Very dry.  Hoping we aren't talking about a drought year around here.

Jill

Hate to break it to you, but it is raining here and is headed you way, supposed to rain the next 24 hours.

kanshow

More rain coming from my direction too...  although this is the first rain we've had in forever. 

braunvieh

We have been extremely dry here, too. It has been the driest and mildest winter we have had in a long time. We had a very wet fall but it hasn't done anything since November and now dirt is just blowing around everywhere. Only 2 little skiffs of snow and that is it for the whole winter!! It has been glorious calving weather though! I cannot complain about that.

box6rranch

In Colorado the mountains have been getting a lot of snow. We are super dry on the plains though. Put your cattle on a truck and bring them here. I'll calve for you and trade you for the great hay you'll have once all the snow melts :)

keduhpn

San Antonio, TX is in the worst drought in 100 years. We have not had a measurable amount of rain in a year and a half... So please send some rain down here.. I ll take the mud any day!!!