Mummified Calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

BIGTEX

I took a bred heifer to the vet and he said she had a mummified (sp?) calf inside her. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. Did your cow breed back?

Thanks in Advance,

BIGTEX

DL

BIGTEX said:
I took a bred heifer to the vet and he said she had a mummified (sp?) calf inside her. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. Did your cow breed back?

Thanks in Advance,

BIGTEX

Did he talk to you about BVD?

Cattledog

BIGTEX said:

Thanks in Advance,

BIGTEX

I know the odds are against the cow breeding back.  That doesn't meen she won't breed back.  Good Luck!

BIGTEX

Hey DL, the vet never mentioned BVD. Could you explain more? What are the odds that she will breed back?

Thank You,

BIGTEX

DL

BT - As you now know the #1 cause of mummified feti is BVD - you might want to consider ear notching and testing your herd for persistently infected animals (BVD-PI). If the entire mummy is expelled (ie no little pieces left in the uterus) then she should have the same chance of breeding back as any other cow - however if something is left in the uterus or she develops an infection chances become much less. DOes she have the mummy in her now?? Did he give you a plan?

BIGTEX

She does have the mummy in her now. I bought her as a bred 5 months ago. Do you think the infection came from my herd or theirs? We have never had this problem on our farm as far as I know. I am doing what my vet is telling me( giving Lutalyse) and she goes in for a check up next Thursday to see what progress we've made.

DL

BIGTEX said:
She does have the mummy in her now. I bought her as a bred 5 months ago. Do you think the infection came from my herd or theirs? We have never had this problem on our farm as far as I know. I am doing what my vet is telling me( giving Lutalyse) and she goes in for a check up next Thursday to see what progress we've made.

Fetal infection during late embryonic -early fetal period (45-124 days of gestation) - following infection of a non immune pregnant animal (ie generally not vaccinated or not vaccinated appropriately) the virus (BVD) can cross the placenta and invade the fetus. There are a wide range of outcomes including mummificaiton (also congenital infections, persistent infection) - how pregnant is she now?

Show Heifer

A few years ago, I had a cow ultrasounded and she was 45 days bred. I wanted to flush her instead of having her calve late, so I aborted her and a few days later, took her to the flush farm. A few days later, they called me and said she aborted a 100 day fetus. Impossible, I said, she wasn't with the bull that long. When I had her checked the year before, she was called 90 days. So apparently what happened was she mummified that fetus, and then got bred on the other side with the 45 day fetus the following year. She always did have erractic cycles, but she was old, so I just figured it was her age.
She flushed well twice, and then, due to her attitide that got bad, went to burgerville.

BIGTEX

DL said:
BIGTEX said:

Fetal infection during late embryonic -early fetal period (45-124 days of gestation) - following infection of a non immune pregnant animal (ie generally not vaccinated or not vaccinated appropriately) the virus (BVD) can cross the placenta and invade the fetus. There are a wide range of outcomes including mummificaiton (also congenital infections, persistent infection) - how pregnant is she now?

My vet said the calf was about the size of a cat. She was due on 9/27/08.