Mushroom season!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

I am located in Iowa, and here it is "Mushroom season". Not sure if ya know what they are but they are Moral mushrooms and although a bit insane, it is very addictive hunting them. They are roughly 4 inches tall and about 2 inches around. Some get much bigger and some are not much bigger than a thimble!! Grow darn near anywhere where there is moisture and compost stuff. Kinda look like a corn cob sticking up from the ground! Fry them in cracker crumbs and they are definately a midwest tradition!! (clapping)
Although I like hunting them better than eating them! ;D
To me, they are much like golfing (chasing a little white ball around a manicured pasture, aiming for a small hole) Where as mushroom hunting is looking for a small fungus amoung the ditches, grass, and trees of a 150 acre pasture!!
The mushroom season has been hampered by the cold weather ("room" hunting is usually done when sweat is running down your back and ticks crawling up your legs!!!)  and so hunting hasn't been real productive!! ???

Anyone else hunt "rooms"??? Or any place else have these strange spring traditions??? :)

red

We used to go into my grandparents woods & hunt morels! Love then sauteed in a little butter! Ah, heaven on earth! Lots of people look for them here too. Brother-in-law looked last week but said woods was really wet.
Rubbarb is one of my all time favorite spring things. Love it! Also getting aspargus right now.

Red

mushmove.gif

Telos

Sounds like you got all the fixings for a gourmet dinner. Morels, asparagus, A great steak and some rhubarb and your in business. When is dinner served???

Morels really are wonderful eating. Just sautee in a little oil (butter or olive oil) with onions if you would like. Great with grilled meats. Morels and barley soup might be good, too?

red

Actually going to have steak & aspargus for supper tonight. Not enough rhubarb nor any morels. About 8:00 EST!

Red

stick

not really fond of mushrooms, but thought I would enter a post just to get it away from the posts on bloating. Have some friends that almost do that after hunting the 'shrooms.

farmboy

VERY FRUSTRATING...SHOULD HAVE BEEN UP A MONTH AGO BUT THIS WHOLE YEAR...15 TRIPS TO THE WOOD...MANY FALLS AND BRUISES...WE'VE FOUND...4.I DO LOVE THEM BUT ONLY WHEN U CAN FIND THEM. GOOD TO HEAR THE ROOMS ARE COMING UP NORTH RED. NOT SO GOOD DOWN ON THE RIVER :mad:

justme

People everywhere are finding them here!  I just fond a whole bunch of ticks lol

steers4u

Here we have no Moral Mushrooms and very few Morals period...... We do however have a lot of Morel Mushrooms! LOL

red

That made me think of scrambled eggs & brains. The group here loves them fixed that way. as "Justme" said " some things just not made to eat!"

:-\

Telos

As most of you know,  I live in the kitchen. A German chef I worked with in Florida at Grand Cypress Resort instilled the fact that you cook with your tongue and  heart. Therefore no need for recipes. I like to use recipes only as a guide but never rely on them fully except when I bake and it's rare that I bake. Mostly I like to cook main courses and make inventive salads and soups.

I looked up the definition of "chef" in Webster's Dictionary. Their definition of a "chef" is someone who heats food.  Boy, did that make me feel special!

Gypsy

RoseMayne said:
If it were me I would definately have some Mountain Oysters with the Mushrooms. 

Ick!  I'll take the mushrooms with a steak!  Definately the better part of the steer!

JbarL

farmboy said:
VERY FRUSTRATING...SHOULD HAVE BEEN UP A MONTH AGO BUT THIS WHOLE YEAR...15 TRIPS TO THE WOOD...MANY FALLS AND BRUISES...WE'VE FOUND...4.I DO LOVE THEM BUT ONLY WHEN U CAN FIND THEM. GOOD TO HEAR THE ROOMS ARE COMING UP NORTH RED. NOT SO GOOD DOWN ON THE RIVER :mad:

stinkin' turkeys got most of ours  this year in s. e.  ohio  at my place.......... they have taken over down here.....ate  all my morels...all my grouse and quail have  moved on....would love to see open season on the stinkin' pests...

red

(lol) We have some people that have introduced wild turkeys here. I guess they figured the deer needed some competition!
Now I do have a pair of nesting bald eagles just 1/4 of a mile from me. Those are worth watching!

Red

JbarL

gather as much info from the county/state or what ever agency is responsible for that decission....when did they start the program?  believe me they will upst your local eco ( quali/squirl/grouse/phesant/and eventually the deer..... and it dont take long.....they are so bad now in meigs co....they have now started to release rattlesnakes  to eat the turkey eggs...to try and control the overpopulation... the bad part about  s. e. ohio is when they started them they started  in state parks ( forked run)....so guess where all the new rattlesnakes are showing up.....you got it....rattlesnakes/campers/ and kids....not a good mix....if you have tukeys on your place they are there forone  reason.....MAST...and they will eat it ALL........great to see the eagles.there...the falcon program in columbus has been a great succes i here....bye bye pigons....

cowz

red said:
We used to go into my grandparents woods & hunt morels! Love then sauteed in a little butter! Ah, heaven on earth! Lots of people look for them here too. Brother-in-law looked last week but said woods was really wet.
Rubbarb is one of my all time favorite spring things. Love it! Also getting aspargus right now.

Red

mushmove.gif

You bring back good memories with the morels.  My hubby's family farmed along the South Platte in Nebraska.  Just around Easter we would pick the river banks clean of morels.  His mom would soak them in salt water,  dip them in a beer batter and fry them in butter.    Hello cholesterol!!!    So wonderful!!    Unfortunately, most of the wild mushrooms here are not to be eaten! :eek: