Musk Thistle for Garybob

Help Support Steer Planet:

shorthorns r us

Below is a link to a University of Nebraska fact sheet on Musk Thistle (includes information about thistle head and rosette weevil as biological control). This fact sheet mentions that the thistle head and rosette weevils as well as the tortoise beetle have been used in Nebraska. It also mentions that the thistle head weevil is the only species that has been firmly established across Nebraska.

I would recommend that your friend contact one of the authors on this fact sheet. There may be a location in Nebraska with an established population of rosette weevils, etc. where he could make collection. In terms of timing, etc., a population from Nebraska would likely be more successful than a population from Arkansas.

I have not found a commercial source that rears either of these weevils.

http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/ec176/build/ec176.pdf

I hope this helps.

Below is a link to the Musk thistle fact sheet (with information on the flower head and rosette weevils). The latest revision has not been posted. However, the 2001 fact sheet is still accurate and should be helpful to your friend in Nebraska.

http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/PDF/FSA-3054.pdf

I'll let you know if I find a commercial source for weevils.

yuppiecowboy

Spray. Mow. run goats. Repeat.

Cleared a forty acre pasture that was a photogenic trophy for non cow people. Absolutely beautiful at the flower stage. I would surmise there was 3 acres actual grazable turf. One year of spray mow goat did wonders, second year made it look like a golf course. Only problem is the old boys tell me thistle seed lays dormant for 7 years.

knabe

not only that, but it blows in from neighboring pastures.  i mow strips of my neighbors to be "nice", but i'm doing it so the weeds don't blow in on my field which i've spent the last 5 years getting rid of mustard, filaree, radish, ripgut brome, wild barley, foxtail etc.  seeds are amazing, but with perrenials planted over them, it's hard to get established.