"Must haves" for the office...

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShowmanQ

We are going to be moving to a new farm this summer and have a "woodshop" room in the barn with a concrete floo,a woodburner, and plenty of cabinets and racks in it. We are planning on making it an office. What do you have in yours? What is something you could not function without? We are planning on putting the desk and plenty of chairs in there, along with a fridge for medications and such. We will probably also put our showbox and a few other more valuable pieces of show equipment in there. Hoping to make it a comfy place to talk relax in between chores, and talk cattle with visitors. Any ideas? Pictures would be wonderful!!!

daydreamingacres

Maybe one of those Giant calendars to tell heat dates and days you may be going to fairs.We had one at the farm I used to work for and it worked great. Hope this helps and good luck!

knabe

a spittoon (coffee cans) and ashtray.  anything that makes older folks feel comfortable, a rocker with foot rest, lot's of magazines and some tacky stuff too.

OH Breeder

go to salvation army or volunteers of american and get a desk. Rehab it if you have to. You will want a desk. You can find old filing cabinets there as well. Nothing like a coat of paint to brighten things up. Fax machine if this is an office and a phone line. DSL or cable line for internet and a laptop to maintain records etc. a dry erase board is great for tracking dates for expected heats and feed rations etc. Cork board or bullentin board comes in handy if more than one person is doing the chores you can leave messages. Frig good and microwaves are good.
If you can install a sink it would have to be fancy, but they are nice. Install a water heater and run some lines then when you put in your wash rack you will have both hot and cold water makes it nice in fall and winter. ;)

cowz

A file cabinet, so those important papers and receipts are not kept under a rock on your desk!

BCCC

simtal said:
a toliet  :eek:
I dont knwo about that, I have seen some VERY NASTY ones that I didnt even want to use(and im a guy) in a few show barns, if you put it in, CLEAN IT

JbarL

coffee pot..and a video camera....friend has a horse facality and one winter was " closely watching "  one of there mares and because  of the cold and walking in and out of the barn office every 20 mins to get warmed  back up..and taking turns making a night of it.......they put a video  camera aimed on the stall and the monitor in the office....( pretty high tech back then... O0.....) ...they got some pretty neat monitor/survallance stuff out there now...jbarl 

knabe

BCCC said:
simtal said:
a toliet  :eek:
I dont knwo about that, I have seen some VERY NASTY ones that I didnt even want to use(and im a guy) in a few show barns, if you put it in, CLEAN IT

at the local feed store just south of me, there is a toilet like this and no one ever even closes the door when they use it.  saturday's and sunday's gather quite the crowd, the feed store lounge, (not the toilet)

Dusty

I would try to outfit it like an office/storage room/living room.  Make sure you have a big table and a lot of chairs.  This will come in handy when you want to play cards with your buddies in the wintertime.  I would also go buy some cheap couches recliners etc from garage sales, estate auctions whatever where you can usually buy old couches for $10.  That way when they get too dirty you just throw them away.  I would put a decent TV in it.  Then you have an effective hideout to escape the pressures of the living room in your house.  The couches and TV will also come in handy during calving season so you don't have to back in the house at night while you are babysitting cows.
Basically think you this room as a place to have whatever you can't have in your house. 

knabe

Dusty said:
Basically think you this room as a place to have whatever you can't have in your house. 

sometimes known as the bad husband room. (not a double, entendre)

ELBEE

Winchester model 94. Loaded and ready, above the door so visitors won't see it when they enter!  <cowboy>

Allthough this can get some of us in trouble ::)

knabe

i don't think you can purchase a 94 new.

i tried to purchase one within a day or two of the production line going down and it was impossible.  not even "winchester" had any to sell.

any word on the 94's being started again in the US?

here's a link with some info.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/column16_win_rebirth.htm

red

Knabe w/ a gun! Now that scares me as much as SD w/ a souped up ray gun!  ;) <alien>
Red

CAB

Dusty, do you think then that I could keep a mistress in the barn office/living room? I haven't ever seen my wife in the barn much, but then again a mistress that would live in the barn may not be worth the risk on second thought. LOL.
  What's corn worth today? Are you buying or selling?