My 5 Worst breeding mistakes!

Help Support Steer Planet:

shorthorns r us

do you have pictures of the ones you raised.  i never saw any that i liked.  never had any of my own.

itk said:
SRU, I would call Reno over marketed but not the worst bull. We bought 2 shares of Reno and like the few calves we have had out of him. In fact we are going to be putting in some Reno embryos this spring. The semen was alittle pricey for a new bull and then TH came along and took all of the wind out of his sail. I think if he would have been THF people would not have such a negative view of him.

kanshow

I need to say this also. I don't particularly like the idea of this thread. People spend a lot of money promoting bulls for us to use and evaluate @ our own discretion. For us to bash their bulls, especially when on some of them, some of you are going on hearsay, that's not right in my opinion. Sometime if you are the promoter's side, you'll have a different perspective
 I agree with that!!

Maybe the thread should have been 'top five breeding mistakes' I've made.   I've used bulls that have worked for others but don't work on my cows.   If my cow lines would change enough - I might put that bull back on the list.      

ROAD WARRIOR

I posted here earlier on some of my breeding oppinions. I did not post anything that I have not publically/privately said to the owners/breeders of the animals that I posted about. After being in and around the breed for 30+ years I know alot of the breeders personally, many quite well. I think that if you can't say it to their face, don't post it here. RW 

DL

ROAD WARRIOR said:
I posted here earlier on some of my breeding oppinions. I did not post anything that I have not publically/privately said to the owners/breeders of the animals that I posted about. After being in and around the breed for 30+ years I know alot of the breeders personally, many quite well. I think that if you can't say it to their face, don't post it here. RW 

AMEN RW! (ps I really like my Heavenly heifer and I believe she has her mothers feet and legs  ;)

JSchroeder

If nobody gives their opinion on a bull, the only information available will be what was paid for by people trying to sell semen.  It's certainly understandable why those who promote bulls would prefer that.

The only problem is people who talk negatively about a bull but don't include their real name in their post or profile.

red

good point RW- maybe I can change the name of this topic to "my worst breeding mistakes?"

All in favor say yea, all not in favor na, the yeas have it- topic will be changed!

Red

CAB

Red, this better, but on thin ice.
  Agree with RW 100%. My troubles is that I'm not very diplomatic, but I try to be. Point, I wouldn't use a bull if I didn't like them in the 1st place, which means that I have researched the bull, so if he doesn't click, it's back on me 100%.JMO

ROAD WARRIOR

DL said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:

AMEN RW! (ps I really like my Heavenly heifer and I believe she has her mothers feet and legs  ;)

Excellent DL! No doubt the completye outcross didn't hurt you any. Good Luck! RW

red

yes, what we need to remember is that not every bull will work for us. We don't see every calf out of a bull, just the few in our own corner of the world. I know a lot of breeders read these boards & I know I'd hate to see one of my cows/bulls bashed. If it's because of your breeding than that's fine but let's be careful.
I was earlier thinking of bulls that were heavily promoted but that you never heard of again or no calves seen.

let's keep it interesting, fun & try not bash any one group or person.

Off the "red" soapbox for a while.

Red

kanshow

That's why I like this forum, you get an opinion from a broad sector.    I like hearing the good and the bad - but believe that for every comment made on a bull, let us know what kind of cow he was used on.   

ROAD WARRIOR

ROAD WARRIOR said:
DL said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:

Excellent DL! No doubt the completye outcross didn't hurt you any. Good Luck! RW

DL - Got my first Mulbery calves on the ground - WOW!!!

knabe

i have called every breeder of bulls i'm interested in, and ALL of them have told me what they thought they should and should not be used on.  I haven't found any of them to misrepresent their bulls with the information i gave them and asked them about.  i think some are leery about which cows their bulls get used on, so some seemed to be actively making unsolicited comments about strengths and weaknesses.  i'm pretty happy with all the breeders i've contacted.

i am trying one yearling bull this year based on my "research", mostly on the cow side, but with clubby on top from a carrier line, but bull is free, to test a theory, and to concentrate downsized genetics from famously larger lines.  it will be spooky if it works.

RSC

This thread could be some dangerous territory to enter!  I made a comment about an honest evaluation of a bull on here once and the news got back to the breeder!  They were not happy! This is a public forum and anything you say in public could possibly get you in trouble, IMO.

RSC

CAB

I love this board and the positive posts about bulls and answers to what pedigree or what type of cow that a bull works best on has helped me more than I can believe. I usually have umpteen bulls on the radar screen and then just try to hold off until I either see enough to kinda know that the bulls good enough to take a shot @ using or go off of info collected here and by trusted cattle people. Sometimes there is a bull out there that hasn't been hyped up or promoted that is on my screen that 2 years later will come up. Those kind of things are always fun. It's like go with your gut or instincts, although some of the disappointments, as you get older, are remembered more easily than they would have been in younger years, if that makes any sense.Blah,blah,blah.

CAB

RW., Mulberry is one that is on the screen. What have you heard about the Pieper bull Get'r Done?. I've heard that they are special.

DL

ROAD WARRIOR said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:
DL said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:

DL - Got my first Mulbery calves on the ground - WOW!!!

RW - I saw a Mullberry heifer at the Expo this weekend - there were a bunch of really nice RA heifers but this one really stood out from the crowd -congrats on your Mullberry babies - he is sure a bull I plan on using...DL

ROAD WARRIOR

CAB said:
RW., Mulberry is one that is on the screen. What have you heard about the Pieper bull Get'r Done?. I've heard that they are special.

I really liked him as a calf in their Denver pen a few years ago (helped them show day) Before his untimely death Travis was really high on him. The only thing that bothers me is the BW's. But with that much power and growth you're going to have that. Good bull. RW

CAB

RW, a close neighbor owns  a share of the bull. I'll get over and evaluate in a  month or so. I'll ask him how he's calving. I know that the heifer that they bred him to is due the 14th. the heifer is a very good prospect, actually won Fort Worth.

Bawndoh

ROAD WARRIOR said:
CAB said:

I really liked him as a calf in their Denver pen a few years ago (helped them show day) Before his untimely death Travis was really high on him. The only thing that bothers me is the BW's. But with that much power and growth you're going to have that. Good bull. RW

Are you talking about Red Fine Line Mulberry, the bull that Brylors in Canada raised and now own.  If so, it is impossible that he was in Denver as a calf.  Is there another Mulberry out there?

CAB

There is a post that refers to Mulberry, but RW was asking about or referring to Get'r Done.