My bull has strayed

Help Support Steer Planet:

afhm

Sounds like you don't have very many good neighbors.  Y'all aren't the Hatfields and McCoys of Texas are you?

chambero

Joe:

You've got some unusually ornery neighbors.  However, its not unusual for a neighbor to want to borrow someone's good bull if they get in on their sorry cows.

When we have neighbors bulls come a visiting, we get them out in a hurry.  Funny story (unless your the bull) -

Last year a neighbors Limi bull got into our "AI cows" about a month before they were ready to breed.  Needless to say we tried to get him out immediately.  He was being extremely uncooperative, put a dent in the side of the pickup, which we rewarded by then being a little more aggressive with the pickup bumper than we meant to.  We rolled him pretty hard.  So he goes and runs into one of our deep stock tanks.  He's limping a little, but nothing serious.  The "Einstein" swims out to the middle of the tank and treads water for a while.  Finally he gets tired and heads to the bank.  Only he's trying to come out at the dam which is very steep, hard-packed clay.  His front feet could hit the bottom, but he couldn't get traction to come on out.  We sit and watch him till he there is nothing sticking out of the water but his nostrils.  He looked like a submerged red hippo.  I couldn't help but laugh at the fool till I realized I would be the nominee to go swimming in November to get a chain around him to drag his carcass off.  So, I get out in our john boat and start beating on him with a paddle.  Luckily he decided to go away from me instead of at me.  He finally finds his way out.  We let him rest a little bit and then he's ready to go to the lot to be taken home.  However, as I'm chasing him in our trailer he finds an energy reserve and decides to take a little revenge on me for his bad day.  I was two sucker rods from the top of the fence when he caught me in the butt and it felt like he threw me about 20 feet straight up.  I'm certain I was high enough for a parachute to have had time to open.  Luckily, nothing was injured but my pride.  We finally get him in the trailer and haul him home to the 90 year old lady that owned him.  I caution her to be very careful around him and she assures me that her baby wouldn't hurt a fly.  Of course I'm keeping my mouth shut about the ordeal we and he have just been through.

We picked up one of our bulls about 10 miles away from home once.  Of course it was only one really big place he escaped into.

We've had some neighbors with Trich and we did get all of our bulls tested a couple of years ago. 

You should probably consider heading up the road to Black's bull sale at the end of October.  You can get get black bulls from him.  He has so many they don't all bring a ton of money.

Joe Boy

My first bull came from him.  He was a puppy.

My brother has 5 of Chris's bulls.

I get his sale bill and we will see.  I will not need a bull until late December after I have AI'ed a time or two.

chambero

We're running six from him right now, although one old one has about had it and may get retired this fall depending on fertility test results.

I've always thought he has been very good to deal with. 

Another guy that sees a lot of cattle and does buying for breeders is Justin Renfro in Stephenville. 

ghostrider

Joe Boy, I believe I'd move - your part of the world doesn't sound too friendly.

Jirl Buck will have a nice set of MA bulls for sale at private treaty. They'll be worth checking out.

Joe Boy

The story I told you about another bull and mine who got into a fence a couple years ago, took a funny twist tonight.  That neighbor called me to see if I had seen his bull..........  He bought two bulls two weeks ago brought them home and let them go in his pasture.  That has to be one of the less smart moves that I have ever heard.  This is what happens when people who are not farmers and ranchers get into the cattle business.  Anyone should know that a new animal should be allowed to acclimate to the property prior to release.  This guy has bought up lots of land and cattle over the last 10 years with money he was paying as taxes from his oil field work.  He buys more hay than a 300 cow dairy because he overstocks his pastures.  Anyway I got a laugh and wondered what he would do if I told him I had a gun too....... ha......  should we wear other people's shoes or does everything have to be on our foot????????

Show Heifer

Joe Boy - I hope you told him to stay off your property and to well...go away.  Then if the bulls ARE on your property and he doesn't remove them, you have the legal right to charge him for daily care. Just depends on how ugly you want to get.

I have great neighbors compared to some of you, but it hasn't always been this way.....one neighbor loves brahama cross bulls. I don't. He doesn't build fence. I do. His bull came to visit me after visiting every other farm in the 5 mile radius. I got him in. Called neighbor. He wanted me to deliver him home. I told him if I loaded him he was going to the salebarn. When he arrived to pick him up (after the bull tore up 3 gates) the told me the bull was mean and not to go near him. That's when I told him "If that bull comes over here again, I WILL shoot it and file a claim against your insurance."  He must have belieived me, as the bull went to the barn.  And we've been on good terms since then!

If a bull gets into your purebred cows, or cows of a "controlled" genetic program (which means you actually have a plan for your cows) you have the legal right to file a claim against the bull owner. But, make sure it wasn't YOUR fence that was down!!!  Know of several folks that have gotten payment for building fence, lost revenue in calf sales, vet bills, etc.

chambero

Dealing with bulls is just something that requires neighbors to be neighborly with each other. Thank goodness we've never had any real trouble with ours.  This is one of those issues that really highlights lack of common sense with some people.  We always share costs on building fences, etc.  I guess we've just been lucky so far.

CAB

Jen, have to love you. LOL You have great neighbors, but you say "IWILL shoot & charge you." I would be a great neighbor too.
    What did you think about the Hawks this past week? Cab

Gypsy

Joe Boy -

Any news on your bull?  Is your neighbor finished planting his wheat?  ???

Show Heifer

CAB - just to clarify, I would have shot the BULL not the neighbor!! ;D

And my beloved Hawks....well, to ABOUT beat supposedly #9 Wisc with all the injuries and suspensions, I was pretty happy.  I don't blame Ferenz at all for the players getting in trouble....I think it is about time for some leaders on the TEAM to step up and administer some "disipline" on those trouble makers.
With all the injuried the season might get to be a bit long, but you will find me every Saturday, wearing my black and gold, cheering them on either watching the TV or listening to the radio.  And ya just never know, bigger surprises have happened!! (clapping) (clapping)

GO HAWKS!!!  In Kirk I trust!!! (clapping) (clapping)

Joe Boy

No news on the bull.  I am still looking each evening.  I become discouraged and hope he died rather than someone stealing him.  The fellow is not in a hurry to get the cattle gathered, as it has been two months since the other neighbors cattle got mixed up with his.  I am getting his cattle broke to come to me, at least some of them, by feeding them cubes when they come to the fence when I call them.....

Two miles down the road a lady has a cow that got in with her neighbors and they told he when they gathered them they would call her.  They haven't and that has been two years.  She sent 6 cowboys into the heavy misquite and they came out without her and she knows she has a bull calf that is almost two.  I am like a fish out of water since the place in 24 miles away and is the neighborhood that was consider the enemies of the school for which my children played.

Good news of the day, I had a Sin City bull calf this morning out of a black 1/2 Maine and 1/2 shorty.  She has raised a great heifer calf and a good steer before.  This calf is red with speckles.  I hope he will make a good show steer.  The momma is a sister to my first blue roan, who will calf today by an Energizer son.

Thanks for your warm thoughts...

Joe Boy

My bull has not been found, yet.

BUT, they have located a cattle rustling ring who have stolen 26 head right down the road about 2.5 miles.....same dirt road, from the home of my cattle.  They have sold some $300,000 in cattle.  They have located some of the cattle.  Some have gone to slaughter.  The main sale barn they are using is the barn at Elk City, OK.  They will be looking for my bull there tomorrow as they go over the records.  This group has been under investigation for actions over the last 2 years.  A registered Angus bull disappeared less than a mile away from my place last year.  They told me that they might never find a bull like mine, as he might have been sold to an individual.  When an individual learns of the arrest they will have a choice to come forth or hide their purchase.  Some of the cattle were sold at Abilene.  I did send a notice to Elk City but not to Abilene.

So the story goes on.

jason

Joe Boy
Good luck, hope it turns out well.  We had a expensive calf stolen, never did find it.  At least the crime is still a felony, in the old days it was a noose around the neck.

CAB

SH, Thanks for the clarification. LOL Looks like the best Iowa team this year may be UNI. It's not looking too good for the Hawks or the Clones. Not seeing quite as much Black & gold as we were a few weeks ago. Oh well. There seems to be an epidemic as  far as players getting into trouble @ all levels, but look @ the whole pic, whether it's Lohan, Paris, or Henry. they're all nuts and we're actually crazy for even talking about them. They aren't worth the time it took me to type this. Cab

Joe Boy

As I  reported under a different topic my bull has been been found.  It took us well over an hour to walk him a half a mile to the lot.  We gave him six shots.  They amounted to 100 cc of long lasting Penicillin and 40 cc of Flunixamine.  He is glad to be home and is gaining weight.  He was under a 1000 and when he left weighed about 2100.  He is improving.  He still carries his right back leg.  Along with the circles of no hair around 3 of his legs and the line that runs for 6 inches under each ear under his throat area, his tag was missing.  I wish he could talk.  I would love to know what happened to him for 42 days.  My neighbor walked his pasture.  I walked his tanks and the surrounding areas.  Keep in mind this fellows cows were getting out every day for 4 months and two other neighbors cows and I guess my bull had joined them.  Less than a week after he fixed (Texas term for mending) his fence, my bull shows up.  I know he could not have survived without water.

Last night I had to give him the same shots again.  My bull did not want to get his shots.  I had to take a club to him.  He is moving better..tried to run over me and has never done that before.....he is moving better than me with my knee, but after I broke it on him and chased him around the lot for a good many times and  again a couple more times he went in the chute and just stayed there while Ann got my medicine ready and he took the 6 shots like a man.  Both of us were huffing and puffing...the bull and I, not Ann.  Pickup and car lights and a flashlight are not the best way to do this.......sunshine would have been better but some how it was gone.....the night stole it I think....  It was so dusty I could not see the bull and he could not see me and I missed several times with my stick.......  I really thought after dark I could not see the dust and my allergies would be better, no such luck... stinking thinking.... bad planning.... oh, well we got er done.... I got to get a new curtain rod for a customer tomorrow....it seemed like a good stick at the moment to use, but poor planning, it now has some real 90 degree turns in it and one rubber end  is still attacked to the bull, I guess, as I could not find it.....  Ann never got excited and did not offer to trade places when I was straddle the bull giving shots and he was rubbing foreheads with me, she thought he was kind of loving....and she did not want me to hurt him.....I was thinking about a rib-eye...... oh well alls well that ends well.

We do it again Thursday...  My club or stick will not be a shower curtain rod..... I have planned ahead.... I am using a broom this time.....  He is 5 years old and that was his first spanking, but I only hit him twice, so he got two licks one on the nose and one on the posterior end..... I really had not planned to use anything as you can tell.... he is a puppy generally..... do you think he might have had someone to mistreat him?  The thought has occurred to me.....

Latest posts