My BVD-PI test results came back

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

I haven't read this whole thing but what the BVD test tells you is if you have a persistently infected animal in your herd - it does not tell you that you are BVD free so to speak - I think we discussed this some time ago but basically a PI animal is one that is infected in utero during a specific time period - it is born immunotolerant to the virus (meaning it doesn't recognize it as foreign) and the calf with have very high level of virus - other cattle - especially pregnant cattle- exposed to a PI can develop a whole host of things including immunosuppression (and consequently other infections) but the greatest risk is to the pregnant cow - BVD can result in early embryonic death, congenital abnormalities, mummies, abortion and the creation of another PI - although most PI calves dies within the first year some will live and appear "normal" for several years or more - and all the while spreading virus  like typhoid mary

I would not buy a buy a bull without a BVD PI test - here is a real example of what can happen
commercial herd - 2000 head - buy bulls every year
pregnancy rate in fall generally 95%
pregnancy rate in fall --->45% they had purchased 2 PI bulls now that's a big loss for a cheap test

CAB

Thanks Lana. Question, then what does that say for our vaccination programs? This just frustrates the heck out of me. Brent

DL

LN said:
Testing the herd is the next step. I did testing because I want to be a progressive breeder and I do believe that BVD-PI is a serious problem. Working Ranch magazine had a great article about it in this month's issue. I hope that testing becomes necessary like for brucellosis or TB and definitely from now on I will expect any purchased stock to be tested. That's the key though, is customers have to start demanding the test.

FYI - if your calves test negative for BVD-PI there is no reason to test the dams - a PI cow always has a PI calf. A cow with an acute BVD infection (Like a cold) will develop immunity

vaccinations - clearly not 100% (as we all know) - there are 2 types of BVD (Type i and II, clever huh?), cytopathic and non-cytopathic, and bunches (hundreds of subtypes) so there may or may not be cross immunity

that said, a good vaccination program will go a long way toward protecting vs BVD PIs - several vaccinations are promoted as protecting the fetus

but remember is a pregnant cow is exposed she can not show signs of disease but can have a PI calf - this can become an issue dragging pregnant show heifers all over - someone somewhere can have an acute BVD infection (like a "cold") and infect your pregnant heifer, just at the right time, your prized show heifer has a calf who is born persistently infected

the same is true for buying pregnant females - she may not be a PI but she could have been infected and her calf is born a PI

it is a complicated disease that can have devastating consequences

showcattlegal

When we had it we had some cows with BVD with free calves and some calves BVD and cows free. At that time we where useing a killed vac program but since then we changed to mod live.

DL

showcattlegal said:
When we had it we had some cows with BVD with free calves and some calves BVD and cows free. At that time we where useing a killed vac program but since then we changed to mod live.

If you have a BVD PI cow she will only have a BVD PI Calf - period; if you say you had BVD cows with free calves you must be talking acute infection not PI (persistent infection) - a BVD PI cow can only have a PI calf not a "normal" calf

knabe

LN said:
Last week I tested my first ever batch of calves for BVD-PI and the results are in...they're all PI free!!!

Has anyone else jumped on the bandwagon and tested for it?

i did this as well.  i'm not sure what period of time you are supposed to do it after innoculation, but you can have a high titer response, and the ear notch will be negative as this is a more specific test that is either PCR or enzyme (ELISA) based assay.  not sure what i have to do to get registered as free or to maintain it as well.

P-F

I know it is not the fun thing to do but this is why you should quarantine all new purchases and show cattle, till they calve and you can test the calf!

simtal

so if BVD-PI is a cow-calf issue, what is the advantage of having a BVD-PI free feedyard (as there are some that advertise as being so)?

LN

simtal said:
so if BVD-PI is a cow-calf issue, what is the advantage of having a BVD-PI free feedyard (as there are some that advertise as being so)?

A PI calf sheds the virus throughout it's lifetime, so in a feedyard that could potentially be a huge problem.

DL

LN said:
simtal said:

A PI calf sheds the virus throughout it's lifetime, so in a feedyard that could potentially be a huge problem.

BVD is really a cattle problem, not only a cow calf problem. As LN said the PI animal sheds large amounts of virus thru out their life - the virus can cause respiratory disease and is immunosuppressive - eliminating PI cattle from feed lots and bull tests is believed to decrease treatment costs, morbidity and mortality

jbw

When I had the problem, I had gotten a set of feeder cattle in and they got sick, I think there was around 180 head. I only lost 1 of these feeders. I brought my cows in and preg. checked, vaccinated and poured them. The next spring when I calved I had a couple of calves got sick and died. After I worked all the calves I had a couple more got sick and died. When I weaned all hell broke loose!!  I treated with every drug under the sun and wasn't getting anywhere.  We knew we had BVD and the calves had been vaccinated 3 times. We started blood testing and found out they were PI calves, my vet told me when one got sick to take it out of the lot and shoot it, do not even waste my time trying to save it. All the calves that were PI positive we pulled the cows in and checked them. They were all negative. SDSU told me that the cow has to be exposed to the live virus between 110 and 130 days in the pregnancy, that is when the fetus is in the right developmental stage to recognize the virus as "normal" and in turn will put up no immunity towards it. The PI calves stand at the water tank and drool, they get the runs and if you look in their mouth they have sores. Sorry this is so long, I hope it helps.

jbw

Out of 185 calves, I ended up losing 39. But, there were some cronics that I should have put down because they never did much. there was about ten of them. It was all of the older calves, I had to get my breeding book out and it didn' take long to figure out the ones that were most likly to get it. The thing that saved me was that I had one set of cows at the North farm so they did not have any problems. When you are just getting started paying for a cow herd, that was a HARD kick in the shorts. It was pretty herd getting up to do chores when you watched your calves dropping like flies and there wasn't one thing that you could do about it.