My Chi Steer -Ways to make sure he's not over done for fair?

Help Support Steer Planet:

LindseysMaine_Angus

Here's a pic, he's 730 pounds and I feel like he's going to finish to early. I have cut him back to about 8 pounds of 1/3-1/3-1/3 from Kalmbach Feeds, and he's getting maybe two pounds...or a flake of grass only hay. He's a very sound steer...as of right now. I'm afraid at this point in the game he is getting to big to fast. What do you guys think? I can try taking a video of him walking if you guys want?

Attachments

• 12390984_10205121681629916_613913962818856724_n.jpg
    12390984_10205121681629916_613913962818856724_n.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 295
  • 12366461_10205122008078077_5279945368669920426_n.jpg
    12366461_10205122008078077_5279945368669920426_n.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 391

Tallcool1

First off, nice steer!!!

You will get 100 pounds a month as soon as you start to pour the feed to him.  Just back up the math, and you will pretty easily be able to figure it out.

The thing that we always keep in mind is that it is way easier to slow one down than it is to speed one up.  We typically shoot for having them fat (at our goal weight) 30 days BEFORE our target date.  It is easier to put hair on them when they are on a cooler ration at the end.

The way that your steer is put together, he will still look good even if he is fat a little too early.  He is good fronted and about as sound as you can make one.  He is the right kind to have to hold at the end.  Honestly, sometimes really cool looking ones like him can stand a little "staleness" as long as you can get them haired up.

LindseysMaine_Angus

I do feed him lol I just don't want him to big for fair. They seem to like them 1250# but I want him to have the correct degree of finish, ya know?

jconner2088

You are right on the money to have him finished out by then. Your steer is one that looks to be very moderate and one that will get fat quick, that is not a bad thing. Just keep going like your going. At the rate your going it will take a little less than 2.5lb per day to get you to 1250, but don't look at it as far as weight you should be happy with that one if he tops out at 1100 truthfully if he stays sound. I sure would be. I wouldn't cut him back, i would keep going, unless you weigh him and he is gaining more than 3lbs a day, but even then it all depends on how he progresses like i said he look to be one that could top out quicker and that isn't a bad thing always.

This is a good place to help with projections http://m.cattle.com/weight_calculator.aspx

Bradenh

We show first week of June and want them 1000 mid January those summer shows are hard to feed for, keep trucking with him you're doing fine

Hell of a steer by the way, how's he bred?

vc

I would feed him full feed now and hold him later, i would probably keep him on a starter developer until he hits 1000 pounds and then adjust his protein fat ratio from there depending on where he is at. It is way tougher to get one caught up then to hold one, all it takes is a bad gut, cold, respiratory problem or something along the lines to set you back. It is easier to hold or slow one down later and keep them fresh looking.

LLBUX

He sure is a thick rascal, but I don't feel he will get enough frame to reach the 1250 pound target weight without being overly conditioned (way too fat).

Standing next to the owner, he can't be over 38", maybe 40", now can he?

He may be competitive in lighter classes if frame and finish are managed.

He may also be a hold over steer for Louisville, Denver or even Texas majors.  May take that long to get enough frame.

He looks like a real freak though and would be hard to place in a steer line up.  He would either be first or last.

He may have made an interesting promotional bull.  Folks would sure talk about him.

Spencer10218

He is a great looking steer I'm really curious to why he got the gate if the judge only he said he was coming on quick. I also feel like holding him for Denver or Texas would be a push espicially if the judge is saying he is coming on too quick how fresh are you going to be able to make him look, espicially if your going to show him all winter. You have really been given advice for two completely different  options, and you not going to be able to do one like show county then attempt to hold for Denver and achieve the desired freshness. So I would pick one and roll with it and I agree completely on his frame size being too small for 1250 in July
JMO I would hold for Kansas or lousiville, espicially if I had a heifer in the barn

erbarrett12

As of now, I would reduce his feed rations, so he doesn't gain as much. If he does get too fat, put him on 1 scoop of purina precon twice a day, until you get him back to the weight you want. Then, put him back on normal rations. Try to also get him hairy, as he is a good looking steer, and I think your chances will increase at winning. He is a nice steer though.