My dog died

Help Support Steer Planet:

yuppiecowboy

Jake died today. He was a Red Heeler. 14. Wasnt worth a crap the last couple years but I sure liked having him in the truck. when he was younger he was amazing. He knew what I wanted and how I wanted it. Boy, were we a team. I AI'd by having my cows in a 20 acre pasture and heat detecting. I had a holding area that I fed a little in then the corral and chute. In the morning I would take my coffee and me and jake would sit on the bunk and watch cows. If I had riders I'd say "bring em home Jake!" and I would have em all in the holding area. I would shut the gate, open the corral gate and say "pen em jake!" and they would all be in. then I would stand at the gate and sort as jake would bring em to me. when we were down to the cow or cows I would stand at the tub and say "chute Jake!" I would leave them till evening then breed. In the evening me and jake would sit on the bunk with a beer and repeat the process. I would breed the morning hots and chute the evening hots. Worked pretty well. I had a couple really frustrated clean up bulls.

I miss my dog.

farmboy

Those are the kind to have around man, dogs are mans best freind for a reason. Atleast he fullfilled his duty as a cattle dog and had fun doing it. We just recenetly had a 17 year old treeing walker die from cancer, i was working on the porch and she started squirming like streching and sounded like she was choking and it was done. She had been there all my life... :'( Im sure wherever his soul is, he is in his prime and running all the cattle he could possibly dream of :)

DL

YCB - I am really sorry about Jake - it is always so hard to lose a good friend and those darn dogs have such a short lifespan compared to us. But I sure would never be without a dog (or 2 or 3) - the traveling dog is always special.

shortdawg

:'( Sorry about your dog. Like DL said, they just don't live long enough compared to us. I had a female Lab one time that was something. She would stand at the back of the truck and watch me in the mirror until I said lets go, then she'd hop in. But never on the passenger side, always on the drivers side. That dog rode the tractors with me, boats with me, and would even sneak a ride to church if I didn't remember to tell her to stay home. She rode with me fishing one evening while full term pregnant, when our trip was over she went home and had her puppies. She REALLY had her priorities in order!

renegade

I especially love heelers. They are great dogs that bond to the family and then one of the people in your family just a little more than the rest. They are great pets, friends, protecters and workers. The first one we ever had was tied up, shot, and layed in a creek by a man from st.louis that thought his poodles had run of the land - he baited that dog and another of ours to his house.  Well, next time he started to stop on the road and say hi my dad got the baseball bat out - that was a few years before we moved back here.

frostback

So sorry to hear about your dog. I too have a old friend that is not what he used to be. I was there at his conception, birth and since weaning never separated for more that a few hours. He is almost deaf cant see much but still a great comfort when I come home. I cant take him with me much anymore, too hot, he likes the air conditioning these days. I got another cow dog but she is nothing like the old boy used to be, my husband says that I conpare them too much and to give her time.

Show Heifer

I lost my dog 10 months ago (DL and Red knows all about that). Had him for 14 years. Dog before that I had for 13 years, Dog before that I had 14. I can tell ya books about each one of them, and still get tears when I think too hard about the good times we had....
I know have a pup (ok, he's 11 months old now), and I expect him to live a long life (although there are some days I could give him a good butt whoopin!!), and I expect when he dies, I will revert to a child and bawl my eyes out, bury him through the tears in the yard, and grieve for days!  :'(
So please don't think your caring for your dog so much that you will miss him for years to come makes you a weak person!!!  To me, that makes you a very caring, compassionate person. I hope when the time is right, you find a new friend, that will never fill the old shoes, but will come with their own!!! :)

garybob

renegade said:
I especially love heelers. They are great dogs that bond to the family and then one of the people in your family just a little more than the rest. They are great pets, friends, protecters and workers. The first one we ever had was tied up, shot, and layed in a creek by a man from st.louis that thought his poodles had run of the land - he baited that dog and another of ours to his house.  Well, next time he started to stop on the road and say hi my dad got the baseball bat out - that was a few years before we moved back here.
Some times, neighbors can be nasty, and they are notorious for the ol' "throw the rock & hide the hand". I think he deserved it, whatever your Dad did.

mommacow

Hey, I just saw your post and wanted to give you my condolences.  A good dog is hard to lose.

renegade

Some times, neighbors can be nasty, and they are notorious for the ol' "throw the rock & hide the hand". I think he deserved it, whatever your Dad did.
[/quote]

Well, he didn't do anything but scare the crap outta the guy because as soon as he saw my dad coming he took off. Those kinds of things combined with the emails i just got(on the city people post) really just make me despise city people. :mad:

Gypsy

Yuppiecowboy - I am very sorry for your loss.  Good friends are hard to come by and can never really be replaced, and even though you are grieving, remember the good times, and I can tell you had lots of them, and remember too that to have had such a great friend and pal you were a great friend and pal.  I'm so sorry.

red

Yuppiecowboy- I know when my dog passed away several years ago it hit me like a brick. I waited until I found the right dog to take his place. So sorry for your loss. It's a tough battle to loose a dear friend.

Red