My First Shorthorn!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

herefordfootball

Well yesterday we got our first shorthorn as a cow/calf pair. We bought them from a friend that breeds some good cows that throw some great calves. The cow is sired by ALM Sabotage and out of a Laprairie sired cow. The heifer calf at her side is a Tiger Woods. We bought to use the dam as a recip this year and if that doesn't work out we'll AI her. Does anyone know much about the genetics on the cow TH and PHA concerning? I know Sabotage is TH free, but didnt know about PHA. This is my first step into the Shorthorns, so if anyone can tell me more about the cows genetics with the TH and PHA, and what works well on them if we end up AI'ing her. Thanks in advance!!!!

Attachments

• Sablotage Cow and Calf X Shot.JPG
    Sablotage Cow and Calf X Shot.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 768
  • Peaches Side Shot.JPG
    Peaches Side Shot.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 757
  • Peaches Top Shot.JPG
    Peaches Top Shot.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 690

shortyjock89

Lookin good Chris!

I say you just AI the girl to Red Diamond and call it good.

Doc

Pair looks really nice!! Good luck!!  ASA has Sabotage listed as TH & PHA free. I would definitely try Fringe on her.

OH Breeder

herefordfootball said:
Well yesterday we got our first shorthorn as a cow/calf pair. We bought them from a friend that breeds some good cows that throw some great calves. The cow is sired by ALM Sabotage and out of a Laprairie sired cow. The heifer calf at her side is a Tiger Woods. We bought to use the dam as a recip this year and if that doesn't work out we'll AI her. Does anyone know much about the genetics on the cow TH and PHA concerning? I know Sabotage is TH free, but didnt know about PHA. This is my first step into the Shorthorns, so if anyone can tell me more about the cows genetics with the TH and PHA, and what works well on them if we end up AI'ing her. Thanks in advance!!!!
Sabatoge was one of the few, if I remember right, of Double Trouble's off spring. DT is a Double Stuff son out of a Leader cow. DT was TH free but think may have been PH carrier. Sabatoge was Red and White bull. See attached pictures.

Attachments

• sh-doubletrouble.jpg
    sh-doubletrouble.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Sabotage_gy.jpg
    Sabotage_gy.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 176

katie_k

i also got my first shorthorn. what are some good halter and training tips? anything i need to know about the breed?

shortyjock89

I think I'm gonna try to track down some Double Trouble semen. I saw a few out of him close to 10 years ago, and all of them were solid, and two (a steer and a heifer) were flat great.  Out of pretty average type cows too....breed to him like you do to Double Stuff and a little like Heatseeker.

OH Breeder

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
I think I'm gonna try to track down some Double Trouble semen. I saw a few out of him close to 10 years ago, and all of them were solid, and two (a steer and a heifer) were flat great.  Out of pretty average type cows too....breed to him like you do to Double Stuff and a little like Heatseeker.

TOP SIRES keeps a small inventory and then I think Bovine Elite had some at one time. I have two straws left. Bought and still think its $40 a straw.

herefordfootball

Thanks everyone for the replies and info!!!!! Thanks Doc for the info on the TH/PHA, I didnt know how to look that up on the ASA's website. You know I would Justin, but I gotta get them eggs in this spring!!!!! If she doesnt work with the transfer deal for some reason, get your vapor shippper ready ;)

justintime

I can already see that this will be your first of many ( Shorthorns that is!).  I have always maintained that if every Shorthorn breeder were to give someone who raises another breed, two heifers free of charge with the only request being that they register the purebred offspring and possibly repay the gift by giving the breeder a heifer calf at some point in her lifetime... that we would see incredible breed growth. Shorthorn cows are pretty hard to beat for maternal power and disposition. By the way, they also make pretty good recips as well.

oakview

We used Double Trouble several years ago, still have a few straws in the tank.  We had really good luck with him and I liked the calves much better than the Double Stuffs we had.  PHA carrier I believe, though.

Doc

mark tenenbaum said:
Fringe-as suggested-however-hes got alot of kaba breeding and so does Sabatage-Second choice-FreeForAll-would really compliment the existing KaBA deal. O0

Yes , he does have a lot of ka ba breeding, but I believe that you can line breed the ka ba lines like dividend lines & just get better. Ask Steinke!!!

DCC_Cattle

Looks like a nice pair to get started in the shorthorn breed with. I have always really liked the Sabotage bull, but have never really seen anything out of him.

loveRedcows

Hope you enjoy your shorts as much as we have ours.  After raising reds for so long, it's interesting to see the different color patterns!

sue

Okay Herefordfoootball here is your 1st quiz:

1) Are your Shorties White with Red marks OR rED WITH WHITE MARKS?

2) What do you call a Hereford mated to a Shorthorn.. the end product would be a ________ $

3) What color(s) do you get when you mate a Hereford with a Roan Shorthorn? a White Shorthorn or a Red Shorthorn?

3A) Take your time feel free to purchase more and experiment with the questions above. I would be happy to provide you with a 'Red" Cane of semen and I am sure a few others can provide the rest. This test can be graded over the next few years. WELCOME

herefordfootball

sue said:
Okay Herefordfoootball here is your 1st quiz:

1) Are your Shorties White with Red marks OR rED WITH WHITE MARKS?

2) What do you call a Hereford mated to a Shorthorn.. the end product would be a ________ $

3) What color(s) do you get when you mate a Hereford with a Roan Shorthorn? a White Shorthorn or a Red Shorthorn?

3A) Take your time feel free to purchase more and experiment with the questions above. I would be happy to provide you with a 'Red" Cane of semen and I am sure a few others can provide the rest. This test can be graded over the next few years. WELCOME

??? Guess I'm kinda lost here???  I'm not mating my herfs with shorthorns if thats what you're getting at lol. And her first calf will be all black if things go good lol. She's a recip in other words ;) . I'm not getting into the shorthorns(yet). For now she's just going to be a recip and we'll probaly sell her daughter this summer/fall unless I decide to show her. But chances are she'll get sold, I want her to go to someone who can really put the time into her and give her all the attention she needs. Right now I'm too busy with my herf heifers,. If she goes to someone who can  give her that time she needs she'll make one heck of a show heifer in my mind, especially at those shows where they are looking for the feminine made, more cowy looking female, not a boxy made club heifer. :)

linnettejane

justintime said:
I can already see that this will be your first of many ( Shorthorns that is!).  I have always maintained that if every Shorthorn breeder were to give someone who raises another breed, two heifers free of charge with the only request being that they register the purebred offspring and possibly repay the gift by giving the breeder a heifer calf at some point in her lifetime... that we would see incredible breed growth. Shorthorn cows are pretty hard to beat for maternal power and disposition. By the way, they also make pretty good recips as well.

just for the record...id like to state that i really like that idea jit and i think that is a very generous gesture! (clapping) ....but i wish you would consider one little modification to that plan  :-\ ...wouldnt it be nice to give two heifers free of charge to not only people new to the breed, but also to those who are trying to build a herd in the breed?  ???  with that said....if you ever start a list  ;D ...i'd like to be the first one on it!!!  ;)