My heifer has strayed

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

Looks like Im having the same luck as Joe Boy. One of my show heifers decided to disapear about 4 days ago, and we cant find her anywhere. The bad thing is that there was a sale on tuesday, wednesday, and there isanother one on friday so.... (cow)

pigguy

We finally found her at the sale barn. we went to buy feeder steers, and we ended seeing her run in by her self . thank god because its the one that i really liked.

CAB

Any ideas as to how she arrived @ the salebarn? Glad you were looking for some cattle that day. Was it hard to reclaim her?

pigguy

we called that morning at about 7am and told them everything about her(ear tags, brands, calf& hood vac. number, ring worm spot on left side of her neck, and everything else, and told them that if and/or when the calf comes in that they wouldnt be able to get it away from them, that it would want scratched. and then we came in after the cows and bulls sold at about 11:30 we waited about an hour buying 71 head of feeder steers, and then she came in all by herself. and the rind man couldnt get her off of him and everyone was busy watching the ring man and not bidding and we hollard at the auctioneer and they ran her through the chutes and checked everything and we showed them her reg. papers, and then they called the police. which we had already talked to the day before.  her maine reg # is 375766 nothing special

SWMO

So had you not been there she would have been sold no questions asked?  The yards didn't keep a special look out for her?

We had 8 head of 900 lb steers stolen about 12 years ago and one of them was very distinctively colored and not that many 900 lbs steers are sold in this area through stockyards at that time.  We notified all the surrounding stockyards immediately.  I didn't feel  that they were remotely interested in assisting us find the cattle. But then neither was the sheriff's dept.  I guess that none of them felt like it was worth their time and effort to assist in stopping the selling of stolen cattle.(Not sexy like making a drug bust. and won't give the sheriff's dept alot of  press like a drug bust) Ours were just one group of many stolen in a two year period in the area. I realize that most yards run a large number of cattle through their facility.  However, having worked in the office of a sale barn I believe that new sellers could be flagged for special attention. especially if they are selling cattle that don't match up in kind, weight and color.  Premise ID would be of great assistance in this area.

I wonder if there should be some (INCENTIVES) put in place so that stockyards were more interested in the ownership of cattle?

Will

You are very lucky to get her back.  About four years ago we had two shorthorn steers stolen.  Very uniqually marked.  We called everywhere and offered a $5000 reward and never got one lead on what happened to the calves.  I am certain that they sold at a sale barn some were. Do you know the theives.  If I knew them and they knew me they would want to stay in jail.

pigguy

no there is a lady that sits in the very back of the auction box(12X20) that goes and tells the penriders where to put the calves that have sold. well she is the one who took our call so she didnt tell no one about our calf. so if we werent there it would probally be long gone

Joe Boy

Hope they nailed the thief to the wall of the jail house for a little while and then he/she gets a longer sentence at the trial.

Recently, a judge here allowed a convicted cattle theif to get out after just over 2 years in the pen because of health... he is a diabetic and he plays with it to stay in the hospital in jail....  Two of my neighbors lost 10 head each to him and there are several others who lost lots.... My nephew caught him, not the law...

So glad you got her back!!!!!

pigguy

strawroanlova said:
so someone just stole the heifer right from your property???
well yeah, i keep my show cattle at our feed lot (about 1mile away) because well thats where there at