My heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

kane1598

Here is  my home bred april dirty harry hiefer.  I really like her, what do you guys think

Attachments

• c 2.jpg
    c 2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 677
  • c 3.jpg
    c 3.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 680
  • pics.jpg
    pics.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 667

CAB

I like her a lot. There will be quite a few more Dirty Hairy calves born this spring. Good heifer, good pictures. You should have some fun showing her. You bred a real good heifer. Enjoy her. Cab

red

looks very deep & good boned. I like her a lot from her pictures. Good job! always good to see the home grown ones!

Red

knabe

i think she's nice.  nice flex in her rear pastern, a little fat for me, but then she's a show heifer, a little open fronted for me as well, would like to see that shoulder flatten out and put the depth right behind her shoulder. if there's no break behind her shoulder under her hair, that's nice as well.  nice volume for her parts, but would like to lengthen her a little, but doing that may not allow her to cover her tracks.  i think her best feature is her width behind, volume again.  i think she looks good for a home bred.  i can't match you.

squat down a little lower when you take photos next time, position is good, although it's always nice to see the top.

kane1598

Thanks for the comments.  I agree she is a little bold in her shoulder, but I guess you have to take a little shoulder for that much mass. She is out of a first calf heifer and had a 70 lb bw.  Alot of people really seem to like her around here. I think she we be pretty competive.

kane1598

We were thinking about bulls to breed to her today, even though that won't be happening for a while.  Pale face and Get it Done came to mind, any other suggestions?

pigguy

one other thing i might suggest when taking pictures, or showing her, get her stopped and set up and then take your hand or your show stick and push her top down (push it down in the area parerale to the flank if that makes since?) she looks good, she should make a good cow. also it looks like she toes in a bit on her front legs

kane1598

thank u for the suggestions.  we had an offer on her today, even though she is not for sale! i assure you all of her feet point in the right direction!

OH Breeder

kane1598 said:
We were thinking about bulls to breed to her today, even though that won't be happening for a while.  Pale face and Get it Done came to mind, any other suggestions?

Couple of suggestions
One I would use a proven calving ease bull. I know it is tempting to use a hot sire but, go with consistency and quality first go around on calving.
Second
DId you clip her yourself? You did a nice job. If I would to do anything different, spend some time tightening up the front clipping. Take the point of her shoulder down a bit more. Blend up into the neck. It will soften her. Kirk Stierwalt video is great tool. On her rear on sides of the vulva, she is clipped a tick short. I would leave that hair a bit longer and blend out from in. It will widen the rear some more.
Just my humble view.
SHe has great depth of body and looks like she will make a good momma cow. ALi, Taz, Maine Break or Money Man.

kane1598

I did clip her myself (in 20 minutes with a big pair of sheepheads), so thanks for the tips but my other clippers are busted right now.  She has never had any hair around her vulva, I guess I will try to get it to grow some-she is being shown in three weeks.  By then, with my regular fitter and a little work , she should be spot on.  Has anyone had experience with Paleface on first calf heifers?  I think she could throw a really nice steer!

OH Breeder

kane1598 said:
I did clip her myself (in 20 minutes with a big pair of sheepheads), so thanks for the tips but my other clippers are busted right now.  She has never had any hair around her vulva, I guess I will try to get it to grow some-she is being shown in three weeks.  By then, with my regular fitter and a little work , she should be spot on.  Has anyone had experience with Paleface on first calf heifers?  I think she could throw a really nice steer!
Okay, that is understandable. Thought you might have clipped it tight around her rear top. But if she doesn't have she probably won't. Then you can try to blend the rest of the hair so it not so obivous. You did a nice job for a twenty minute clip.
ALi being her grandfather would be line breeding. You see all the time, Sonny Son bred back to Trump etc. I personally like Taz with her and Majors. A friend of mine has about 35 maine cows. He does use pale face and has had some pretty big ones. I would not feel confident in using Pale Face on a first calf heifer. I used Northern Improvement on my heifers and had super success. The calves are fancy and hair. He might soften that shoulder on your heifer. I have not experience with Hard Core so I can' t comment. Norhtern Improvement would give her some more grow if needed. Just a thought.

kane1598

Northern Improvement is certainley on our list of bulls for her.  I am not sure she is need of much grow; she is certainley on the big side for her age when comparing to other heifers.  I just went out and clipped her shoulder down tighter, taking off about an inch, much improved! I would really reccomend dirty harry to people as a way to give look to calves and bring down bw.  Her mother was shown as a commercial heifer and did alright,  I think dirty harry did a good job at combing the best of both of them. 

pigguy

Is dirty Hairy good for heifers?? What does he work best on? which bloodlines? thanks a lot

kane1598

We have had very limited use but had good results, 70 lb bw.  He was highly promoted as a new calving ease option in 06 and I have heard alot of good results.  My heifer is out of a heatwave/witchdoctor cow and slipped right out.  She had the hip, look and hair from the begining. 

pigguy

did he add any thing? muscel, neck extension, width of top? did he take anything?

kane1598

I think he added a little length of front and of side.  Definetly created a combination of brood cow and show heifer, really deep sided and sound.  My heifer is very complete and I love her profile.  She is more powerful than anything else I have seen this year, but her dam is a market type heifer.  I think he added hair (she is like a scotch highliander), some rib and some size. I think he is a great bull. 

kane1598

If anyone was interested in my heifer, she won the junior maintainer show at the PA farm show this past week and was second in the open show to a really high dollar heifer that is owned by a family that  had national  champion shorthorn bull this year.  I will trry ro get pics up soon.