My new Shorthorn herd sire

Help Support Steer Planet:

Go Green

I'm kind of excited about him. I plan to test for TH and DS in the near future but i dont have any TH or PHA carrier cows in my herd so im not hugely concerned. I AIed everything this year so he is strictly clean up. I do 7 day CIDR timed AI then turn the bull loose 2 weeks later. Last year all calves (10) were born in a 4 week window. Shorthorn folks, what do you think of him?

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_3415.JPG
    IMG_3415.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 356

oakview

I personally would have tested him before I bought the bull, but to each his own.  $100 spent before purchase is a good investment in my opinion. 

Go Green

In full transparency he was part of a herd reduction auction sale, there were 3 bulls and he was my 2nd choice so i didnt research his pedigree before the auction. I didnt think (not sure why) TH carriers could be registered as purebreds, just plus's. I was disappointed  when i got his papers. $100.00 seems like a lot for a test, does that include membership to the Shorthorn assn?

oakview

According to the latest fee schedule I have, TH, PHA, and DS testing is $48 if done as a group.  You can add parentage testing for $35.  The whole gamut of testing runs $125.  I buy things on the spur of the moment occasionally, too.  My wife used to yell at me, but now just shakes her head. 

aj

The perception is that the shorthorn plus is where all the club calf genetic defect crap goes into.

jaimiediamond

Honestly I would think the test would be a very good investment for your knowledge and peace of mind. I personally won’t buy a sire who isn’t tested free of all known defects as a herd bull has so much influence on my program.

Go Green

I agree. I will be getting him tested. He came from a grass-fed beef program so i was shocked when i saw his pedigree that they would use a carrier bull.The point of the post was that i think he's pretty sharp but with all the focus on him being a potential carrier maybe i'm barn blind.