My new show calf (pics).

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

I wish I had taken pics of the Piedmontese cattle the last couple years at NAILE, because the calves looked just like this one. You're probably right and its a Belgian Blue, although as calves it can be tough to tell them apart. Only have ever seen one Blue in person, and he was a huge roaned up bull. Have seen quite a few Pied's though.

shorthorngirl2010

Silver said:
I just get real fired up when about anyone purpousely breading for a fault in genetic makeup.

TH? PHA? AM? NH?

I realize they weren't INTENTIONAL to begin with.. but now that we can identify carriers.. (i'm sure you can see where this is going)

wowcows

I invite anyone to go thru a veal farm in Europe. Only then will one see that these kind of cattle go thru for so little. IMO, not good!

dori36

Zach said:
its a peid x BB x yorkshire x blue butt hog

Well, if they were the same age and posed the same way, I'd still say it's probably Pied.  I've seen lots and lots of them.  An aunt of the ranch owner I worked for in WY used Pied bulls on her Shorties.  I was fascinated with them and did lots of research and visited the Pied displays at Denver for several years in a row.  I decided they were completely off my radar when I learned that, not only are they nearly impossible to calve out, but that the bulls have a terrible problem with infertility/small testicles.  The woman who was crossing them finally gave it up as even the crossbreds had about a 50% C-Section rate.  I think the picture could reflect either breed based on what I've seen.  I wonder what he looked like when he was mature.

ROMAX

Ok grab a notebook people .....the calf is a BELGIAN BLUE they come in a variety of colour patterns from black to white,B.B.crossbred calves come out as easily as anything else(probably easier than alot of clubbie calves)the fullbloods and higher percentage is when you get calving problems.PIEDMONTESEare considered the same as blues but can have there own calves as the muscling doesn't show up for about a month after birth.

cdncowboy

I'd say Belgian Blue as well, Pieds tend not to have quite the swine like appearance of the Belgians.  Think every Pied I've seen has had a black nose and some brindle colouring to them as well.

Had a friend who was of Belgian descent, her folks went to Belgium to visit relatives who raised these creatures.  On average their cows had a productive life span of 5 years.  They spent most of their lives in confined areas, were AI bred and when their due date came around they were automatically c-sectioned, they calved nothing naturally.  Makes you wonder how this can be a profitable way to raise cattle.

Remember hearing rumor at one time that WMW had a shot of Belgian Blue in him.  Have seen a few crossbred blues, probably a quarter, that were pretty decent calves.  Never seen them fed out but I just wonder how they'd hold together.

Telos, maybe you'll have to see if they can add a AOB-that-you-wouldn't-touch-with-a-ten-foot-pole class for you. 

dori36

ROMAX said:
Ok grab a notebook people .....the calf is a BELGIAN BLUE they come in a variety of colour patterns from black to white,B.B.crossbred calves come out as easily as anything else(probably easier than alot of clubbie calves)the fullbloods and higher percentage is when you get calving problems.PIEDMONTESEare considered the same as blues but can have there own calves as the muscling doesn't show up for about a month after birth.

Ok, I've got my notebook ....now get yours.  The calving problems don't occur due to muscle mass, it occurs due to the width of the hips where the considerable muscle will hang.  Hip lock - no fun!

ZNT

Silver said:
they might be good to eat but they are a nightmare. Each and every calf has to be c sectioned. Almost all maternal characteristics of the breed have been removed as well. I guess they would be good to eat though..
I never knew Heatwave was a Belgian Blue?!?  Jack, I really tried to keep the neighbor's Yorkshire boar away from your cow, but my fences just aren't hog proof.

Silver

Ok, I've got my notebook ....now get yours.  The calving problems don't occur due to muscle mass, it occurs due to the width of the hips where the considerable muscle will hang.  Hip lock - no fun!
[/quote]

Why would you even let a belgium blue cow ( because thats what it is) attempt to have a calf, c section her as soon as the calf is full term. If they are going to try and let the cow have the calf naturally they sure aren't going to use a muscular full blood cow. That would be asking for trouble, but who knows they might go for it because that is what this whole breed is about.