• mine2.jpg
    mine2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 411
  • mine3.jpg
    mine3.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 409

OH Breeder

AAOK said:

Feminine, but needs some groceries.  How old is she; 4-5 months?

I think this is a tough time of the year for the calves. I pulled some in and they are kind of in between. Good condition but like you said just need some groceries.
Angus boy get her started on a good grower breeder ration.

AAOK

angusboy1 said:
4 and she came form the bull manchild

Good to know.  She looks just about right for her age.  I agree with OH Breeder about the feed.  If she were mine, I would want her consuming 16-20 pounds a day at 5 months of age.  I'll have a lot of folks disagree, but I think she should be on a finishing ration at 7 months of age, and stay on it throughout her show career.  We kept ours on full feed until they had weaned their 1st calf.  The formation of those fat cells is a good thing for cattle. 

linnettejane

LOVE  her coloring!!!!  i bred all my purebred shorties to a black bull 2 years ago just hoping and praying to get one colored like that and didnt!!!  she's a pretty thing!  take very special care of her!  <cowboy>

DiamondS

Just curious, but if you have them on a finishing ration, do you have trouble with too much fat building up in the udder and causing them to milk less??  I've seen it just in commercial heifers that have gotten too fat before calving, and I've darn sure seen it in show cattle.  Just wondering how you manage that, cause I'm not that lucky!!

red

I usually switch to a heifer ration. You're right though, show heifers that get to fat can have conception problems, calving problems & even feet problems down the road.

Red