My steers hair is falling out. (kind of), Dirty, and Leading :/

Help Support Steer Planet:

LindseysMaine_Angus

Well Tink is losing his winter hair you can literally grab hand fulls of it. i still dont have a blower getting them big and puffy for 4H doesnt really matter but I think he could use it he had nice hair as a calf he just turned a year in april so any thing I can use? I spray him with moisturizer and MTG, I really need to get a chute. also He has crap all over his legs and I CANNOT get it off! any advice on that? oh and good news is I just now have him broke to lead! ive had him since november my show is july 24th! he is broke to tie and all that still thinking about the tractor though... so thoughts on anything is grat

shortii

I would have to say if your taking him to a county fair where not having a lot of hair on your calves is pretty common, I wouldn't worry about trying to keep it. As far as getting the crap balls off of him, rinse him and let the water soak in and then use a curry comb to get out what you can then wash him with soap and water and use the the curry comb again. Basically keep doing it until he is clean.   

CANsteer

You want to get that dead hair out so the new hair can grow. What I do to remove the dead hair is get a barbeque grill brick and just run it straight down the sides of my steers. With some pressure, the dead hair comes out. You will definatly need to go over your steer a couple times a day. Another thing you could do is get one of those new shedding combs from Weavers. I havn't used one but I here they work wonders.

brs5

I second the shedding comb from weavers. They cost around 30 bucks i think but they work awesome. Buy a gallon can of wd-40, put it in a spray bottle and put on the manure balls. Let the wd-40 soak for a couple hours and when you wash the balls  come out much easier.

vc

I have found that the hair comes out easier if you work on it prior to rinsing, seems like the dead hair comes out easier when dirty then when clean, comb seems to grab better.
We work on the dead hair, rinse, then work the hair some more. You might consider yourself lucky, I would rather it came out in gobs then a little bit at a time.

LindseysMaine_Angus

Zach said:
its called shedding. It happens.

I know what shedding his but its like he was shaved slick. like real tight to his skin?! He had great winter hair but it was long :/ We have him on Omegablum for a feed supplement and will do winning fill close the middle of june. I will take pics and show you what I mean this weekend

LindseysMaine_Angus

Zach said:
It will stay slick if you don't work it enough

Ok I will moisturize his hair and brush it a lot in the opposit direction... should i use a scotch comb or a brush that you use to brush horses? like a body brush

farmboy

use this
ricerootbrushmix.jpg

brush it towards his head

ferkj

Yes it is.  Brush from tail towards head and upward at an angle towards his head.

vc

How often are you rinsing your steer? If you are not rinsing him a least oncedaily, if not more, brushing will only help so much. Do you have him in a stall or tied where he is out of the sun during the day? These are all things that will help with hair, if it is warm and his is not out of the sun he will slick off and stay that way. If you think about it his body is telling him he needs to shuck all that hair, you need to trick the body into thinking it needs to grow hair. That is why a cooler, fans and misters, rinsing, and melatonin is used, to trick the body into growing hair along with brushing to help stimulate the hair to grow.

KSUwildcat2009

Be careful with the moisturizer you use.  Anything that is really oily can trap heat in and does more harm than good.  Your best bet is to use some kind of show sheen after you rinse him and when you work his hair.  I'm partial to Kleen Sheen from Sullivan Supply, but there are plenty of good products out there.

LindseysMaine_Angus

vc said:
How often are you rinsing your steer? If you are not rinsing him a least oncedaily, if not more, brushing will only help so much. Do you have him in a stall or tied where he is out of the sun during the day? These are all things that will help with hair, if it is warm and his is not out of the sun he will slick off and stay that way. If you think about it his body is telling him he needs to shuck all that hair, you need to trick the body into thinking it needs to grow hair. That is why a cooler, fans and misters, rinsing, and melatonin is used, to trick the body into growing hair along with brushing to help stimulate the hair to grow.

I haven't rinsed him I don't have a chute. I have him in a stall its pretty cold in there the walls are stone. So it keeps the heat out. but he had a problem where he was sweating in the winter :/ he is doing better now.. Can you use melatonin pills?

RankeCattleCo

a.) I don't think cows sweat, atleast I'm 995 sure...
b.) It does not matter if you have a chute.  Here's a list of what you will need:
1- Water (In sub freezing weather use heated...)
2- A hose
3- A rice root brush

As soon as you're done washing, start brushing.
And brushing.
And brushing.
If you do'nt wash and animal he will obviously get DIRTY and will get MANURE BALLS, sorry to be a little brutal but it's just comon sense and the truth.

LindseysMaine_Angus

RankeCattleCo said:
a.) I don't think cows sweat, atleast I'm 995 sure...
b.) It does not matter if you have a chute.  Here's a list of what you will need:
1- Water (In sub freezing weather use heated...)
2- A hose
3- A rice root brush

As soon as you're done washing, start brushing.
And brushing.
And brushing.
If you do'nt wash and animal he will obviously get DIRTY and will get MANURE BALLS, sorry to be a little brutal but it's just comon sense and the truth.

a.) Yes They Do
b.) If you knew my steer you would recommend one.
1- Obviously
2- Duhh
3- Of Course

Why wouldnt you brush him?!

You don't have to wash them to keep them clean. He doesn't have manure BALLS on him it is like flat stuff on him it's been like that since Ive got him and it's taking forever. Sorry to be brutal but Im not an idiot.. If you OVER WASH their hair will get dry I have wetted his hair before where the poop is at on his legs. The truth hurts right?! no I have 6 years experiance with Dairy Feeders and Never had anything like this before so I just asked.

#rude

Latest posts