N/C 4 wheeler v. utv

Help Support Steer Planet:

cjd

I am looking at getting either a 4 wheeler or a utv for the farm.  We used to have a 4 wheeler and it was priceless to getting things done around the farm, checking cows, etc...  However, it bit the dust and we just hadn't replaced it.  Since then, the utv thing has really caught on.  So, I was wondering if those of you that have gone the utv route prefer the utv or if you think a 4 wheeler would be better, or vice versa. We have a fairly soft terrain, that tends to be muddy a lot, but we also live on gravel roads. So something that could handle either w/o getting stuck very often.  Also, do you guys have any recommendations on either?  I don't know a lot about the utv's yet - still researching.  I've seen a lot of used ones on craigslist.  Thanks!

vc

I would get something with a roll cage, and if it has seat belts wear them. I saw an ranchers.net where someone else has died in an accident on the farm while using an ATV.

What ever you decide to get be safe.

kanshow

They have different applications so I say both....      You'll love a UTV but you'll find you miss the ATV.   

jbzdad

UTV... easier to take a passenger, the bed is priceless for fencing , spraying, feeding, picking up trash, going fishing ,training bird dogs  etc... the ATV can probably go more places but the UTV is more useful

Silver

Get a four wheeler, you can use a pickup for everything else that you would need a bed or to haul something. Can am makes an excellent atv; my outlander 800 will do 85 without breaking a sweat, but for most people the honda rancher is a really good choice.

JWW

if you go with the 4-wheeler.... heres my opinion

get a honda rancher/foreman, or their brand new equevalant, they are dang near indestructible and hte motors are great in them, have had one on the place for 10 years and mom wanted a newer fancier one for christmas last year and now we have two. great for working, fencing, and dragging a deer carcass out of the middle of the woods if need be.

JWW

Bone2011

we have both a honda rancher and a polaris ranger. I prefer the ranger cause there isn't many flaws in it. It is way faster than the rancher with a ton more power. It's a smooth riding beast that doesn't get stuck very often. We put a cab on ours because we use it calving and when we are calving we use it about 4 hours a day and only once a weak do we have to fill the 5 gallon gas tank up. Sure beats driving a pickup!

chambero

We use both heavier than anyone I know - lots of brush spraying every year.  We prefer Kawasaki brand.  On the UTV, the double seat diesel Mule is worth the money.

Silver

chambero said:
We use both heavier than anyone I know - lots of brush spraying every year.  We prefer Kawasaki brand.  On the UTV, the double seat diesel Mule is worth the money.

The kawasaki is less than industrial grade at best, so rough around the edges and not very reliable. I would go with a kubota rtv900 over the mule. The worst part about them is they overheat all the time. Thats my expierence with the two we had. The kubota is fairly decent, but the u joint design wasn't all that great and the hydrostatic tranny would put you over the front end if you let off the gas too fast.

lightnin4

We've got a Honda Rancher and a Kawasaki Teryx.  Can't complain about either.  Since the Teryx is the sport (trail riding) version of Kawi's UTV the suspension & handling are excellent, you just give up a little room in the bed for hauling things.  But, havent found an instance wehere I needed to haaul more.

NSF

Silver said:
the hydrostatic tranny would put you over the front end if you let off the gas too fast.

they fixed this, we had to take ours in to get something fixed(cant remember what it was) and they fixed the touchy transmission somehow. dont know if it was a shop fix or a recall type situation though

chambero

Silver said:
chambero said:

The kawasaki is less than industrial grade at best, so rough around the edges and not very reliable. I would go with a kubota rtv900 over the mule. The worst part about them is they overheat all the time. Thats my expierence with the two we had. The kubota is fairly decent, but the u joint design wasn't all that great and the hydrostatic tranny would put you over the front end if you let off the gas too fast.

Bull.  We run Kawasaki 4 wheelers (Prairies - two of them) and a diesel mule from daylight till about 3 in the afternoon every day, all summer in 100 degree weather spraying brush and have never had any trouble. One of our 4 wheelers is about 10 years old and still runs great.  NOBODY uses them harder than we do for ranch work and our Kawasakis hold up better than any we've ever gotten hold of or that anyone else in our area uses.  We are running them slow and never had any overheating problems.  The whole key to keeping any ATV/UTV running long-term is to have the dealer pull maintenance on them once a year.

kanshow

I agree..  the Kawasaki Mule is about as tough as they come.    Ours gets used hard and keeps on going. 

We've been through several kinds of ATVs over the years..  they get used hard and alot here...    Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki.. with the Honda Rancher being the best of the bunch..  Right now we are running Bombardier 600s and thinking they might be the better than the Ranchers..    They appear to be holding up a little better and seem to withstand the abuse they get thrown at them here. 

cjd

Have heard a lot of good things about the Polaris atv's and the ranger utv.  Any opinions on those?  I'm still torn - I love the mobility/speed of the 4 wheeler, but it seems like having that bed back there to haul feed/hay/newborns/fencing stuff/spraying/and all the other stuff you use every day would be handy.  With finances, I'll probably be looking at maybe getting either one used.

lightnin4

cjd said:
Have heard a lot of good things about the Polaris atv's and the ranger utv.  Any opinions on those?  I'm still torn - I love the mobility/speed of the 4 wheeler, but it seems like having that bed back there to haul feed/hay/newborns/fencing stuff/spraying/and all the other stuff you use every day would be handy.  With finances, I'll probably be looking at maybe getting either one used.
We had 3 Polaris ATV's at a farm I worked at a few years ago.  We used them for everything (pulling feed wagons, rounding up cows, fencing, etc.) and I was really impressed.  We also had a Yamaha (Iwas not impressed).  The Polaris took a daily beating and rarely had anything other than routine maintenance from our shop.  I have a Honda Rancher now, but mainly because it was a killer deal that kinda fell into my lap.  No complaints on the Rancher, but if I had been shopping for an ATV, I would have looked for a Polaris. 

I have used a Ranger a few  times at a friends farm and really like it too.  They have had it for several years with daily use and had no problems out of it.  My opinion, if you go for a UTV, look for a sport model if handling/speed is a priority.  Our Teryx handles as well or better than most big ATV's and tops out over 50 mph.  We test drove every model the dealer had (Kawasaki & Yamaha) and the best deal was the teryx because of the suspension/handling/power.  I think most of the Rangers have pretty good suspension as well.  We also tried a Yamaha Rhino and it handled pretty well--I just don't know about their reliability.

FutureBreeder2013

lightnin4 said:
We've got a Honda Rancher and a Kawasaki Teryx.  Can't complain about either.  Since the Teryx is the sport (trail riding) version of Kawi's UTV the suspension & handling are excellent, you just give up a little room in the bed for hauling things.  But, havent found an instance wehere I needed to haaul more.

My uncle recently bought a teryx. I was suprised with how fast it is.

lightnin4

FutureBreeder said:
lightnin4 said:

My uncle recently bought a teryx. I was suprised with how fast it is.
My Mom uses it everyday and rarely gets it over 20 mph...she screams when she rides wit (lol)h me!