NAILE advice

Help Support Steer Planet:

AI Man

Was going for the first time with a market steer, just wanted any adivce about everything from the number of steers, stalling, show, the barns, when to go, what wieght the good steers will be at, tieouts, anytype of advice would b helpfull

sue

Most tie to the trailers- steers and breeding stock.

Bring a generator and your own bedding . Comfortable shoes cuz its usually a long walk anywhere.

have a great time

indianaclipper

weigh when you get there because you get to claim your own weight, and then you gotta weigh back like 4%, but its a good way to beat the system

AI Man

Is There a place to stall inside if we dont want to b on the trailer

twistedhshowstock

Yes there is plenty of space to stall inside, but like they said make sure your shoes are comfortable, cause its a long walk to everywhere at that facility.

twistedhshowstock

Its been about 11 or 12 years since I have been there, there will be a lot of cattle there, biggest headache I found was how far apart everything was(like tie outs to barn space, barn space to show ring) and unless its changed the wash rack is TINY.  When there isnt a show going on it serves as a loading dock for an 18 wheeler, so there are a lot of cattle to go through a very small washrack on those busy show days.

twistedhshowstock

Yes Louisville has long billed as the larges Livestock Exposition in the world, the only one that may come close is Denver!  I would be willing to bet that Kansas City is also bigger than HLSR as well.  The advantage these shows get is that their Jr Shows(even Market Shows) are open to any Jr that wants to come, at the Texas majors(Ft Worth, San Antonion, Houston) their Jr shows(even breeding) are only open to Texas Jrs.  Louisville is also kinda considered the championships in a way for a lot of breeds.  It is a major national show for almost every breed out there and everybody that is anybody will be there, both for the Open and the Jr, Denver is largely the same way, and Kansas City to an extent but not as largely.
Houston is a big show, and a good show, but folks down here only think its so big because its in their own backyard, their Jr Show is pretty big simply because there are so many Jrs in Texas showing, but their Open Shows dont even begin to match Louisville and Denver.

JSchroeder

Tehcnically, they bill it as the largest "purebred" livestock expo it's one of those "they're the biggest because they say they're the biggest" kind of things.  The shows don't release their actual numbers in a format that any show could use to legitimately make that claim.

Any of the Texas majors have junior market steer shows that dwarf other big junior shows.  Heck, even Austin has more market steer entries than any of the national steer shows that responded to a survey we did last spring...

http://www.cattle.com/read.aspx?id=755

twistedhshowstock

Yeah I know the Texas Jr Market Shows are bigger than the big national jr market shows, heck I bet Iowa State Fair is even bigger.  But what gets you on size is the Jr Breeding Shows and the Open Shows.  The Jr Breeding shows at Louisville and Denver may not necessarily be bigger, but they are definately just as big, and the open shows at Louisville and Denver dwarf the open shows in Texas, with the exception of maybe the Brahmans, and really the only reason the Jr Breeding shows and steer shows down here are as big as they are is the Americans which dont get shown elsewhere. 
For Steer shows its no doubt, Ft Worth, Houston, San Antone are the biggest you will go to.  For the Jr Breeding Shows, they may be about equal, and for the Open shows it is handsdown Louisville and Denver that are bigger.  And all in all I think the advantage has to go to Louisville and Denver.  I live in Texas and love the Texas Majors, but I have shown at all of them and I have to say Louisville and Denver are my favorite shows, Kansas City and Ft Worth fight a tough battle for the next spots, and then Houston and San Antonio.