Name that color!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJ

garybob said:
He'll darken up like a Tarentaise, a Braunvieh, or a Swiss/Jersey as he gets older. Historians call this the original color of Modern cattle's wild ancestors, the Aurochs. Good thing he was smooth-shouldered. 120????

Funny that you mention Tarentaise, because that's exactly what I was thinking too.  My dad raises them & he's had calves come out looking exactly like that out of his black ones.  A lot of times those calves will actually darken quite a bit with age.  Some will turn completely black & others will be a blackish/brown with real balck points.  I am thinking that this is the result of the "wild allele".  My guess is that somewhere way down the line, that Gelbvieh had some Tarentaise slipped into it (Leachman's used to cross Gelbvieh's & Tarentaise, so it is entirely possible) & now it's comming out, but that is just a guess & I might be wrong.  Also, the wild allele is the only explanation that I can think of for a red cow & a red roan bull to produce a calf like this one & the Tarentaise carry the wild allele.  

JbarL

red said:
This is a new game! Sure to sweep the nation. Name that color of this calf.  This is from Show Heifer!
This is the SS Kaboom shorthorn baby I was sooooo looking forward too. Can't you see the red and white color????!!!!!! In fact, what color would you even call him???? He was a BIG boy...I hoof taped him at 120. His momma is a solid dark red gelv X blk angus cow. So one would think that out of KaBoom (which is dark red roan) you would get a red and white calf. NOPE not me!!! Everyone is asking what color the calf is and I don't know what to tell them!!! What do you guys think????

Now everyone, we know his parents, what would you call him?

Red (cow)

dishwater blond

TJ

showcattlegal said:
he was out of a pistol pete cow and who made who, no tarentaise i know of.

I was talking about the orignal calf in the pic.  And it may not have any in it either... But, it just looks so much like it does to me & I've seen lots.  Especially the dark points, & the lighter color on the legs & underline.  If it does have, it is probably in the Gelbvieh side somewhere & it is probably way back, like 20+ years & just now coming out... I've heard that the wild allele can throw really weird colors, but not all the time, so it may have stayed hidden until now.  I have seen Chi cross calves that look similar, but they normally don't 2-tone (dark to light) like this calf appears to do. It would be real interesting to see what color it turns out to be as an adult.  I am guessing black or more likely, brownish/black, but it may stay about the same too.